The Unified Space Command

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
I noticed that the shoulder patches on Confed uniforms in WC4 and Prophecy were different than the star-sword pattern from WC3 and the Wing Commander Movie (displayed on the communications holograph for Adm. Tolwyn). The newer patch listed an organization within the Confed military structure called the Unified Space Command. Was this a newer post-war command that allowed for cross service joint operations (Marine, Naval and Space Force combined ops)? Did this command exist during the Kilrathi war? Was there a Unified Ground Command? Anything listed in the books?

Also, Captain Hugh Paulsen in WC4 states that he has arrived from the 3rd Fleet with orders from Regional Command. As much as I can piece together, I believe Regional Command to be a multi-sector, multi-fleet command. Any thoughts?

Thanks All

Attempting to reconcile the contradictory mess that is WC canon is migraine-inducing at best, but your take on this particular situation seems reasonable.

Think U.S. JFCOM with combat command authority....

I thought the star/sword emblem in WC3 was the TCS Victory's Logo, not all of Confed's Space Forces. As for the movie logo, it's not exactly the same as the Victory's logo, and since it takes place 15-20 years before, it's conceivable that the Space Forces may have changed their logo during that time.

The problem with that is that the sword logo appears in a number of non-Victory related areas (I think Tolwyn has one in his office, which I think was on Torgo or Jupiter-1), so it's clearly some sort of Confed logo, although perhaps it could have been a unit patch rather than one for the entire organization. The new logo might be the one for the entire Confederation, and another logo is for the armed forces and isn't seen as much after the war ends...

Paulsen having orders from regional command means he has orders from the regional commander, like Schwarzkopf being the regional commander in Desert Storm. Same basic idea without it officially being war time.
As for the sword and stars shield, compared to the red white and blue ringed star. The feeling I always got from that was that the ringed star was the standard marking for ships and fighters, like the US banded star that our aircraft carry on their wings, while the sword and stars was like the seal for the space forces.
As for the USC I think it's just a pretty patch :D

or it could be the logos of the different fleets, since the Victory, Lexington, and Midway were all part of different fleets (the 3rd fleet, 14th fleet, etc)

Bob is correct, sword-in-star was the "combined forces" or "Terran Confederation Alliance" logo that Chris Douglas did for WC3. The "Unified Space Command" logo in WC4+ was supposed to be the post-war equivalent of an over-arching military authority that would directly replace the 'ramshackle' war-era combined forces concept.

Bandit LOAF,
What is the "Terran Confederation Alliance", I've never heard of it. Is it mentioned in the novels?

It's ("Terran-Alliance" and variations) a term that showed up in a few 1994 sources (Victory Streak and Armada-related stuff, IIRC) that refers to the idea that Earth is allied with species/factions that aren't part of the Confederation in the war with the Kilrathi. Think the Wing Commander equivalent of what "Allied forces" refers to in the context of World War II.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's ("Terran-Alliance" and variations) a term that showed up in a few 1994 sources (Victory Streak and Armada-related stuff, IIRC) that refers to the idea that Earth is allied with species/factions that aren't part of the Confederation in the war with the Kilrathi. Think the Wing Commander equivalent of what "Allied forces" refers to in the context of World War II.

This would explain why WCA seems to take place largely in Landreich space. Assuming, that is, that the Terran Confederation and the Free Republic of the Landreich were part of this Terran Alliance. Who else would be a part of this? I don't think the Border Worlds existed as a political entity yet, and the Firekka joined Confed (right?) until the False Peace.

Oh, WCA doesn't have to be in the Landreich - it was just an area with a bunch of unnamed planets where I could appropriately stick the show... (G)

Any of the races mentioned in Action Stations could be part of it... the surviving Varni, the Wu... the Firekkans before 2654... or any of the other human factions alluded to (the Landreich and the Grovsner Colonies)...

And don't forget the weirdly colored people in AS. Maybe they're allies (G)

Back