The “Console Wars” heat up! Wii/XBOX360/PS3

I firmly believe that you will all change your minds soon.

That said, the PS3 should play WC3 and WC4, right? That's a saving grace, however minor.

I only ever worked on Gameplay with the PS3, and even that was a nightmare, the compiler errors, the debugger, all just bad as opposed to the beauty of 360 development and relatively friendly Gamecube dev. I can't believe developers are backing it... but then the PS2 by all accounts was even worse to develop for.

Personally I've already got a 360, it fills the gaps nicely and LIVE is absolutely awesome. I have a Wii on pre-order (since the date it was made available for pre-order and I've STILL been informed I won't get one on launch day). The 360 to me is refinement and the Wii is innovation... I have no idea what to make of the PS3, I've not got one ordered in any case.

I got to admit, I've been pretty impressed with the xbox 360. Now I haven't been able to play a lot of the different games out there for it but the ones I have played have been pretty fantastic. I think it's well worth the investment.

I'm really looking forward to the Wii. it will be a great thing.

I don't know when I will buy it, though. things are kinda rough for me. especially regarding money.

I would buy a Wii and a Xbox360, though, If I could.

The only thing in the PS3 that's interesting to me is MGS4.

I'm not entirely sure about the Wii control system, but I do wonder if the XBox 360 or the PS3 will offer the same kind of "old fashioned" multiplayer on the same screen.

I'm really looking forward to the Wii. it will be a great thing.

I don't know when I will buy it, though. things are kinda rough for me. especially regarding money.

I would buy a Wii and a Xbox360, though, If I could.

The only thing in the PS3 that's interesting to me is MGS4.

Yeah so far the only thing I'm interested in on PS3 is MGS4 as well. Unfortunately as big of a fan of Metal Gear that I am, I cannot justify spending 500/600 dollars to play one game. I will most likely wait a few years until some significant price drops have occurred.

Much like Mav, I am interested in MGS4 but the cost of a PS3 outweighs the need to play another installment in a series which is generally overhyped and in bad need to finish it's story. (I am largely dissatisfied with MGS after all these years, and MGS2 was just garbage. MGS3, however, I absolutely loved despite some weak spots). Buying a system for a game isn't a good idea, so I'm going to wait and see what else comes out before saying I will or will not purchase a PS3.

The Wii is a definite - only the time in which I buy it is in question.

I never had a X-Box and the Y-Box isn't exactly of interest to me, though LOAF and Chris and company sure do paint a pretty picture with their online stories.

I played Gears Of War today with a friend and my interest in the 360 is once again renewed. I'll be purchasing GOW as soon as possible so we can try out the multiplayer co-op via Live.

Mav, I thought you had a 360? We were playing COD2 on live before? I think I'm going to pick up GOW today maybe over my lunch break. Looks pretty neat. Anyone interested in playing some co-op?

Sorry for the double post but I just thought I'd mention that Call of Duty 3 also has just been released on the xbox 360. After reading the reviews, I'm planning on getting that game today as well (or possibly in place of GOW?). The new COD3 now allows 4 players per xbox on live (like Halo...finally!) so that's pretty fantastic!

I know the Wii is going to be able to play various old-school games with Virtual Console, but what I want to know is, will it be able play Game-Cube discs?

Will I be able to play the Game-Cube “Metroid” games on Wii?

Sorry for the double post but I just thought I'd mention that Call of Duty 3 also has just been released on the xbox 360. After reading the reviews, I'm planning on getting that game today as well (or possibly in place of GOW?).

There is also a new Civil War shooter (History Channel's Civil War) for the Y-Box this week. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but I'm planning on picking up a copy today. I'll let you all know how it is.

I know the Wii is going to be able to play various old-school games with Virtual Console, but what I want to know is, will it be able play Game-Cube discs?

Yes, the Wii will play your existing GameCube discs. This was mentioned earlier in this thread.

That said, the Virtual Console is sort of a bust so far -- it's a bunch of first party Nintendo games that we've all seen ported over and over and over and over. If it catches on and they work out deals with other publishers to host things like Wing Commander or more obscure games from our childhoods, then it's a great concept... at launch, it's kind of lame -- and Nintendo doesn't have a great track record vis a vis working with outside publishers for this kind of thing, so be cautious.

That said, the Virtual Console is sort of a bust so far -- it's a bunch of first party Nintendo games that we've all seen ported over and over and over and over. If it catches on and they work out deals with other publishers to host things like Wing Commander or more obscure games from our childhoods, then it's a great concept... at launch, it's kind of lame -- and Nintendo doesn't have a great track record vis a vis working with outside publishers for this kind of thing, so be cautious.

As far as I'm aware this list is comprehensive when it comes to 2006-Early 2007 releases:

Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Pinball
Soccer
Tennis
F-Zero
SimCity
Super Mario 64
Urban Champion
Wario's Woods
Baseball
Solomon's Key
Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
Kirby's Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)
Duck Hunt (E for Everyone)
Hogan's Alley (E for Everyone)
Kid Icarus (E for Everyone)
Kirby's Adventure (E for Everyone)
Pilot Wings (E for Everyone)
Pro Wrestling (E for Everyone)
Punch-Out (E for Everyone)
Wild Gunman (E for Everyone)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Columns
Ecco the Dolphin
Gunstar Heroes
Space Harrier II
Toe Jam & Earl
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Bonk's Adventure
Super Star Soldier
Victory Run
Bomberman '93
Dungeon Explorer

NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TurboGrafx, 30 of those titles will be December launch. Nintendo has already said it aims to have 10 more titles out a month, anymore than that just isn't sensible, no doubt they'll want new virtual console titles to be released throughout the entire lifetime of the system. Theres quite a few there I'm eager to play, classics like StarFox 64 which have never been ported and Super Metroid, the one metroid I've never actually played.
Huzzah, anymore retro goodness and I fear I'd explode. It seems a lot more promising than the initial titles on Xbox live (save Geometry Wars).

I do take the point that if you're holding out for specific titles then its going to be frustrating (no doubt EA will eventually put out Wing Commander, but when?) but from a buisness point of view I don't see how they could put out more, and 1st party titles, ported to death or not, are likely to sell better than less well known titles.

Nintendo has already said it aims to have 10 more titles out a month, anymore than that just isn't sensible, no doubt they'll want new virtual console titles to be released throughout the entire lifetime of the system.

That's the standard fanboy apologist line, though -- and it doesn't make sense. Ten games a month is around 400 total for the life of the system. There are a lot more old games out there than that, and they missed a giant opportunity to launch with an amazing retro gaming console. I don't hate the games you've listed, but I've seen a lot of them many, many times. A really neat system would be one that let me go back and play the stuff I *didn't* do years ago.

If the entire release plan is to do only the ten most popular games, then it's always going to suck -- you'll never get to weird stuff like Metal Morph.

Huzzah, anymore retro goodness and I fear I'd explode. It seems a lot more promising than the initial titles on Xbox live (save Geometry Wars).

That's stupid, though, because there's a clear difference. You can shovel NES and SNES roms onto the Wii with no effort, whereas Y-Box releases are all ports which require work (and which are often updated in some way).

I do take the point that if you're holding out for specific titles then its going to be frustrating (no doubt EA will eventually put out Wing Commander, but when?) but from a buisness point of view I don't see how they could put out more, and 1st party titles, ported to death or not, are likely to sell better than less well known titles.

My hope is that EA is planning on doing cross-platform versions of Replay, in the same way that we see the a million Namco Collection ports. I'd be very happy to have one of those cute little TV plug-in machines that has Wing Commander in it.

Wing Commander isn't the deciding factor for me, though -- I'm sure I'll buy a Wii to play its equivalent of Pokemon Colosseum someday. The original poster, however, indicated earlier in the thread that he believed the Wii would come with WC (and presumably all SNES games) available. I was correcting that misconception.

Fanboy, stupid, wow, I should probably have the sense not to respond given that I know where this is headed since I'm about to disagree with you... but lets face it that never stopped me before :)

Fanboys don't care about buisness, they like to believe that a companies sole aim is to fulfill the wishes and desires of their customers, but a company is out there to make money, and surprisingly those two goals don't always go hand in hand.

If you release the entire catalogue at once people will pick out what they really want, pay for them, and then never look at it again. Release 10 a month (and lets be realistic 400 is a fair good number, not every publisher will be interested, not every publisher still exists), and players will keep checking back, buying the best of those ten when they feel like another game, rather than the few they already wanted from thousands.

Think of it as remarketting, I owned a SNES but I still only ever played 30 or so titles, and I never owned a NES, I dare say I'll pick up a few titles I previously never even knew existed, which I wouldn't do looking through a launch of 30 or sifting through 50 new titles a week. All those weird titles you mentioned would just be overlooked, now the few that do make it onto the list will have the online equivalent of top 10 new releases shelf space. Back at the Uni house one of my house mates had a modded XBox with every console and arcade game ever made, it got a lot of use... on everyones exisiting favourites, because randomly picking and choosing through that list would be a lifetimes task.

Nintendo aren't stupid, they know how to make money, this wasn't a mistake. It may not make us happy but I'm quite certain it'll make them rich.

Back