strange prophecy iff files

Smoothie

Spaceman
I just finished playing prophecy & thought I would have a look around the data.tre, and found some files that I have some questions about.

first is the test.iff in game folder, its 640x480 black image with the words "insert super cool (although non-animating) loading screen here!!!!!!" in blue

second is the wcp_logo.iff in menu folder, its 238x135 image of a prophecy logo that wasnt shown in the game (atleast I dont remember it!)

I sure that unknown enemy & standoff teams came across these so im just curious of what they are.

Test.iff = Test :p
Probably just some test files they forgot to remove. Or perhaps something intended for the multiplayer part wich was never completed :(

test, doh! silly me thanx killerwave

Is there an easy way of finding out which ships (in the mesh folder) go with which textures (in the mat folder) apart from checking all 1,457 of them! I thought I might try my hand at re-texturing some ships.

I need a real black vampire and devastator please, tomorrow I'll publish a "real black panther" that I did changes on textures. ;)

Using treman you extract all mat. Next using MatToBmp application convert all .mat to .bmp files.
Next you can do two things:
One is view the files from windows explorer, it can be a little hard because the game have many mats.
Two, using modelc.exe you can use the "rip mesh" to get the mesh file of the ship, obviouslly that's knowing the mesh file. Meshes files were stored on "mesh" folder and can be getting with treman too. New ships can use more than one because panther and vampire has engines and hull on separates meshes). In modelc you can view wich texture the ship is using.
To be more exact, you can open the "ship" file first (stored in "ships" folder) by mean of wcpascal and view all components, there you can find the mesh to each object used by the ship.

Resuming, the tree of a ship is:
ship file -> ship meshes -> mesh mats

You dont need to convert ALL mat files. In modelc, there is a folder called texturing. There you will find the needed mats for a dtermined mesh. ;)

ive run into some problems using modelc, loading some mesh files makes it crash, some load but dont appear on the mesh viewer or on the "faces" window and some wont load giving me a "I/O error 87" .
im using ModelC 0.8 downloaded from Thomas Bruckner site, is there a newer version? If not can someone explain these errors?

I never checked every mesh, but you should be able to find all the models from the game, including the confed and alien drones that doesnt show up in the game :p

Actually, the confed drone does show up, but only in the initial fmv

Back