Standoff`s "new" ships

I usually try to evade getting involved in the game vs movie threads...

One of previously unmentioned ideas... is that the TCS Tiger's Claw and the CS Tiger Claw are too completely different ship of (probably) the same class. Of course the novel doesn't support this idea.... and why did the Peter Telep had to stick to the 'sans apostrophe s' carrier name?

He had to stick with the wrong name because he was bound to do so by contract -- he went above and beyond by including as many references to the games as he did, and he can't have been expected to directly contradict the movie's script.

The idea that they could be two different ships has too many holes for even my tastes -- it's just too extrardinary in every respect. There's no contradiction between movie 'Claw and game 'Claw, other than the "look" -- which has changed how many times since 1990 without the movie? Four?

Bandit LOAF said:
(Nor is it, as you'd apparently like to believe, steeped in military lore -- upgrading an existing ship design for modern times is just as 'water navy' plausible as... whatever you said. Perhaps one of the CZ members who's served can give their thoughts on this? Psych? Death?)

You rang?

Updating older vessels with newer equipment is indeed quite plausible with today's technology. Ship hulls, with reasonable maintenance, last much longer than the technology in them remains relevant. It's cheaper to upgrade those longer-lasting hulls than it is to build new ships from scratch, in most cases.

The Navy has had most of their major equipment (ships, aircraft, etc) updated as technology advanced, like for example the Tomahawk cruise missile launchers and then-modern fire control computers that were put into the Iowa class battleships when Reagan reactivated them in 1983 (IIRC on the year). Or the F-14, which has had its engines and avionics packages updated as the design was improved (replacing the assy Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines of the A model with far-better F110 enginess from General Electric, which was retrofitted to earlier planes as the A+ model, and upgrading the tracking/targeting radar and related electronics to handle new operational conditions, like use as strike aircraft in Bosnia and beyond).

There's a ton more examples, but I think the basic point, that military hardware can and is/has been renovated to meet modern requirements, has been made.

Death said:
There's a ton more examples, but I think the basic point, that military hardware can and is/has been renovated to meet modern requirements, has been made.
Quite true, but modern naval ships aren't shot at on a near-daily basis. :D I'd personally say that a ship's hull plating and core structure in the WC universe *may* be replaced once every decade (as in repairs. this is logical speculation, don't hurt me)... eventually that the ship's hull integrity would start to wear out, and probably before the full hull's plating is replaced. Only way it wouldn't... is if it were sent to the back lines... then a refit is plausable, but they'd probably be placed on light duty afterwards, due to the weakened overall hull strength. (again, logical speculation) Which leads to an explination of why Blair might have been upset with his assignment to the Victory... Who'd want to be on backwater patrols, when there's a whole race of oversized kittens to shoot? Especially after being stationed for so many years on a base in just that sort of situation... The Bengal-class and Concordia can be explained away of sorts by way of thinking. I mean, the US went through a phase where it thought that big(innacurate) guns, and lots of them were the priority. Which they were, at the time. (potentially explaining innacurate but hard-hitting flak cannons and the beastly PTC) these days, it's all capship(cruise) missiles and light cannons with big punch and presice(spelling sucks I know) control("modern" laser turrets as opposed to flak). Ship turrets and computers can be replaced, as the modern-day navy has shown. What I personally find confusing... is the lack of turrets on the WC3 and beyond bases, after dodging flak for two games. Anyway, I'm wandering off-subject. The point is... you're both right. Ship design changes, and often. They try something, it works(Tigers Claw), they try it on a bigger scale(Concordia), and it doesn't work quite so well. So they switch back to the old designs(Vesuvius), then integrate the two concepts(Midway). Existing ships can (and often are) refit, in terms of weaponry and hardware. So SHADDAP ALREADY! :mad:
The movie can be explained away just as easliy, watch:
Ready?
Chris Roberts has become depressed in his lack of Wing Commander exposure, and has turned to drinking to "solve" his problems. Thus, he is too drunk to attend the filming, nor to remember just what the ship was named. His drunken state also added apathy, as he stated "Hell I dunno, just make something that looks cool. I'll be in next Monday. Probably.*hic*"
None of this is true, of course. Just a little levity.

Without your flight recorder as evidence...

"Oh no! Not a chief tech from... Ireland (or worse... 'Scottsland'!). Anything but that! Why, that directly contradicts the fact that... oh, we never met the WC1 tech, did we? Well, militarily, that means they never existed!"

- What? Yes, you did meet your Chief Tech - it was a man, looked like one to me! You totally pulled something of a side note out of what I said about the three different sources having completely different premises. Blair probably had several anyway.. seing how he was jumping squadrons.

"Some problems with your Wing 1 writeup, too -- if Blair and Maniac are both replacements just assigned from the Academy, why don't they know each other beforehand (they certainly did in all assosciated fiction hence -- the WC1/2 Guide, the various novels). Admiral Tolwyn and stealth fighters show up in Super Wing Commander... or, ignoring that (because I'm betting that's one of the things you hate, too!) in Secret Missions 2."

The associated fiction (mostly Academy, and there is the cutesy 'yearbook' part in the KS book..)? There isn't indication during the WC 1 game that they knew each other before hand "Hi, I'm Maniac!". Manaic also has kills on the killboard before you fly your first mission. If they were graduates in the same year, big deal, our military officer program has 3 sub-classes that graduate every year, and we aren't fighting an intergalactic war with 7 foot tall cats. Did you know all the people in your graduating class? I didn't, and I only graduated with 400 people.

As for stealth fighters in SM 2 - it is a bug. One time I found myself fighting a ship that was stealthy in Wing Commander II - except I could see its drive plumes. They were Concordia's drive plumes. I'm not sure what I did to cause the bug, but it happened several times when I was replaying the mission.

And as for Super Wing Commander - in Super Wing Commander the Kilrathi fly ships that look like Talons but they are Gratha or Krants or some other thing, and thier transports looks a lot like a magical flying supply depot. I won't even try to IMAGINE what goes through some minds here because they used the Armada ship's design for the Tiger's Claw in Super Wing Commander (ohh, another refit, right!). So I don't consider SWC to be much more than a quickie or doing some paid-for experimentation and not worth considering because if you do you have to reconsider too many things to reasonably reconsider "So, the Talons are used by the Kilrathi... and the Diligent is too?"

"Seriously, though, these three events arrange themselves very well into a simple timeline."

Even better if you cut two of them out...

"In the first episode of Wing Commander Academy (Red & Blue), we see Blair and Maniac assigned to the Tiger's Claw. The episode ends before they've gone anywhere -- we just learn that they're going to be posted there. Then, the movie opens with Blair and Maniac being ferried to the 'Claw for their assignment. Is it not insanely reasonable that Blair and Maniac are going there because... they've been *assigned* there? See what I'm getting at? Now, the movie is dated! Yay! 2654.074... it lasts three days, taking us to 2654.077. Blair and Maniac fly a few missions, save Earth, etc. Then... Wing Commander (1) opens with Blair and Maniac already assigned to the Tiger's Claw. It just starts with them there. Is it terribly unreasonable to assume that in order for Blair and Maniac to be on the Tiger's Claw that they must have been assigned there, and that they must have been transported there somehow? Now, though you haven't actually ever mentioned anything having to do with the military, you clearly like to think you know a lot -- so I'll bow to your theoretical brilliance when it comes to such matters. In your vast amount of invisible experience, do soldiers usually recieve *assignments* serve at their posts? Sarcars aside, the game is also kind enough to open with a date -- 2654.110... meaning that the movie intentionally took place beforehand. Why is this timeline wrong?"

Yes I know you get assignments as to where you go in the military, often long before you have to go, sometimes not so before you have to go. But I don't see what you are getting at. If you consider what you have just said:

Red and Blue - Blair and Manaic find out they are assigned to the Tiger's Claw. Then we jump to:

The Movie - Blair and Manaic are on a freighter with Paladin as the ship's master, enroute to the 'Claw. A couple days later, and you give exact date ranges I see, and they have: easily become aces, saved the Earth, saved the war effort, saved the 'Claw. Huge heros.

We cut to then Wing Commander 1, the game, where the Tiger's Claw has been repositioned to Vega as it shouldl be. Everyone acts like you are the new kid - "you rookies will be acting as wing leaders", etc. "Hi, they call you Maverick, right? I don't know you, even though you pulled all of that Pilgrim Hocus Pocus Alamagockus stuff and saved all of our skins!". You don't have any kills on the board - Manaic does. Manaic should have been there as long as you, right? Or has he already established himself? But when would he do that if he came the same time you did...

"You’re Maverick, right? They call me Hunter, mate" - Hunter

Hi Hunter, we never met, at all, during that whole "chase battlefleet to stop Earth's destruction" thing!

"Hey, Maverick. I’m Maniac. Glad to meetcha" - Manaic.

I know Manaic forgets things like "don't shoot if I'm infront of your target" but it would be ridiculous for him to forget who you are if you went to school with him, spent all that time in the boring transport, and saved Earth while using the Pilgrim force.

"You met Maniac and Bossman over there yet? Maniac’s a real lunatic, a good pilot, but way too erratic. He was just comin’ up when the fleabags put me outta commission. Just between you and me, I’d rather fly alone than with Maniac on my wing." - Shotglass

So Manaic was coming up when Shotglass got permanently grounded when he got shot up... wouldn't that mean then that you and him were just coming up when Shotglass got hurt, if so, wouldn't he know both of you and know you came in on the same freaking ship and were all like best buddies? Or, imagine this, you didn't know Manaic before you were stationed on the Claw and Manaic had already been there for a month or so!

And Angel introduces herself.. " I am called Angel", you weren't slobbering over me for the past couple of days at all!

And... when the heck would the rest of Wing Commander Academy happen in this timeline of yours? Would you be a cadet getting breifings from Tolwyn and every now and then as a Lt from Halcoyn? Why would a cadet be on the front lines on a fleet carrier, with an admiral TALKING to him no less? When does Blair stop being a cadet? Why doesn't anyone call him a cadet in the movie? Did he get bounced back to cadet after the movie, or does Tolwyn just give Blair a petname of 'Cadet'? I mean, crapsakes, you can probably be a Major halfway through WC1 or even a caption at 1/4 the way through. When could all of this cadet business happen?

Well, it didn't, and we shouldn't treat it as such.

"Your 'story' about the Tiger's Claw is not confusing in the sense that it's some amazing piece of high art which those of lower intelligence can never hope to grasp -- it's confusing because it's simply a lengthy and pointless explanation requiring several unusual 'what if' scnarios to be true... all for *only* the sake of disagreeing with the movie (instead of agreeing with anything else). I mean -- 'depending on what "launching" means'? That's a flimsier premise than even something *I'd* come up with!................................Now, though you haven't actually ever mentioned anything having to do with the military, you clearly like to think you know a lot -- so I'll bow to your theoretical brilliance when it comes to such matters. In your vast amount of invisible experience"

Legnthy and pointless? It is typical, and the what-if scenarioes are certainly MORE plausable than having the Tiger's Claw apart of a class that was decades old before the war started only to have the class be upgraded several times to the point of not resembling the old class at all, only because the class's name isn't "Tiger's Claw". The what-if scenarios are not unusual - they most certainly can happen.

As to asking what my experience is with the military - books, lots of websites, more books, reading the Budget Highlights, the strategy/doctorine publications "..From the Sea", testomonies to the Armed Services Comittee. I follow it pretty closely even though I haven't served. So many questions around here are about ships, what-ifs about ships, unanswered questions about ships we never saw and ambigous things about the ships we do know about --- and it seems strange to me that you seem to have no knowledge of real-life ship histories. DANFS is a great read, so is "The Encyclopedia of Ships" ( a book basically produced for Barnes' and Noble, a little out dated now but basically good for the last 250 years). How can we expound about make-belief without even having a grasp on how REAL ships and fleets are built and organized?

My statement - "depending on what you call launching" isn't flimsey at all. Lots of people think launching is when you are done building the ship and send it off to war. It isn't, launching has formally been when the ship slides down the building skids. Maybe in Wing Commander launching is when the ship runs under its own power for the first time and then has to be fitted out - or maybe its when it is towed out of the building yard - or maybe the way Trekkies do it, a ship is launched for the very first time totally ready to go do its 5 year mission thing.

You not understanding what I meant when I brought up the troubling word "launching" just under writes the fact that if you can't talk about the military of today how can you talk about one that doesn't exist with any sort of credability or stance of realism.

- What? Yes, you did meet your Chief Tech - it was a man, looked like one to me! You totally pulled something of a side note out of what I said about the three different sources having completely different premises. Blair probably had several anyway.. seing how he was jumping squadrons.

And the guy who welcomes you back to the ship has to be the chief tech because...? Surely someone with your (please take a moment to turn off any electronic devices which might be damaged by unusually heavy amounts of sarcasm) advanced military knowledge knows that there will be entire teams of technicians for each fighter on a carrier... and, of course, that (militarily speaking) it is very difficult to determine rank *or* position using only the back of someones head as a point of reference.

Anyway -- this is symptomatic of your whole problem. You've *decided* that the guy who salutes you when you land has to be the chief tech... even though there's absolutely no reference to that effect anywhere. But that's fine -- everybody makes dumb assumptions. I do it all the time... but I'm willing to change my mind when more information comes along -- and I certainly don't blame my personal problems on some nice guy I don't know. :)

The associated fiction (mostly Academy, and there is the cutesy 'yearbook' part in the KS book..)? There isn't indication during the WC 1 game that they knew each other before hand "Hi, I'm Maniac!". Manaic also has kills on the killboard before you fly your first mission. If they were graduates in the same year, big deal, our military officer program has 3 sub-classes that graduate every year, and we aren't fighting an intergalactic war with 7 foot tall cats. Did you know all the people in your graduating class? I didn't, and I only graduated with 400 people.

I would certainly *recognize* someone I went to school with. That aside, Academy is neither the first nor the most major source for Blair and Maniac's background. The Official Guide to Wing Commander 1 & 2 is a 'novelized' guide published way back in 1991 -- it follows the players career through the first two games, described as though it were a story he was telling. It also goes through his Academy years as a pretense for describing general tactics and such... and that's where the Maniac/Blair relationship that is followed henceforth came from (well, it actually came from background fiction for WC1 -- but I have no way to sufficiently prove that, and so you have no reason to believe me).

(Other references to their time *together* at the Academy include descriptions in the WC3 novel and Maniac's bios in the ICIS manual and Prophecy guide.) The point is clear: you are raging against the movie for something that has been a common fact in the Wing Commander canon long before the film was a glint in anyones eye. You're just looking for a reason to complain.

As for stealth fighters in SM 2 - it is a bug.

Whenever you see something like that -- a wizard did it. (Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about -- I was referring to Knight's dialogue late in the game... but if there are invisible 'bug' fighters in SM2, it would make a bit of sense... since SM2 was developed by the same team specifically as a 'bridge' game into WC2s plot.)

And as for Super Wing Commander - in Super Wing Commander the Kilrathi fly ships that look like Talons but they are Gratha or Krants or some other thing, and thier transports looks a lot like a magical flying supply depot. I won't even try to IMAGINE what goes through some minds here because they used the Armada ship's design for the Tiger's Claw in Super Wing Commander (ohh, another refit, right!). So I don't consider SWC to be much more than a quickie or doing some paid-for experimentation and not worth considering because if you do you have to reconsider too many things to reasonably reconsider "So, the Talons are used by the Kilrathi... and the Diligent is too?"

Your understanding of linear time is remarkably poor -- Super Wing Commander was developed *before* Privateer and Armada... it is the source of those ship models, not vice versa. Does that, then, make Privateer and Armada ignorable 'experimentation'? (Of course not -- you like and understand those games! Not so, SWC.)

The Movie - Blair and Manaic are on a freighter with Paladin as the ship's master, enroute to the 'Claw. A couple days later, and you give exact date ranges I see, and they have: easily become aces, saved the Earth, saved the war effort, saved the 'Claw. Huge heros.

Neither of them score five kills over the course of the movie, so neither is an ace. Nor is there any indication anywhere that they recieve any recognition for having saved Earth -- even in the movie continuity novels, which explain what happens directly afterwards. Presumably, something like that would be credited to Tolwyn and *not* the pilot who was ordered to carry a message to him. (Consider: who gets credit for the campaign to retake Heaven's Gate? The courier that brought information from Talbot or the man who lead the fleet?)

You don't have any kills on the board - Manaic does. Manaic should have been there as long as you, right? Or has he already established himself? But when would he do that if he came the same time you did...

Ah, of course, the in-game kill board numbers are the true indicators of whether or not something is part of the continuity! Goodbye, Wing Commander 3 and Wing Commander 4 -- I truly loved you both.

(As for when Maniac established himself -- suggest you read the little blurb about his scoring his 5th kill in the Super Wing Commander manual. It was originally written for WC1 Claw Marks, and was used in some advertising. It reappears in the KS manual, too.)

"You’re Maverick, right? They call me Hunter, mate" - Hunter

{quote snipped for post size limit}

And Angel introduces herself.. " I am called Angel", you weren't slobbering over me for the past couple of days at all!

I'm just gonna quote a slice of e-mail between the WCRevival.de webmaster and I. We had a great conversation about all this exact stuff a few weeks back:

Here's the eight "initial greetings" of the Tiger's Claw pilots...

Angel: Bonjour, Lieutenant. You are called Maverick, non? I am called Angel.
Paladin: Och, laddie, take a seat an’ tilt a glass with ol’ Paladin.
Hunter: You’re Maverick, right? They call me Hunter, mate.
Knight: Maverick, right? I’m Knight. Welcome to the Blue Devils.
Iceman: Maverick. They call me Iceman.
Spirit: Konichi-wa, Blair-san. Please take a seat.
Bossman: Sit down, Maverick. They call me Bossman.
Maniac: Hey, Maverick. I’m Maniac. Glad to meetcha.

Hunter, Knight, Iceman and Bossman make sense -- since they didn't really introduce themselves to Blair Blair over the course of the movie (well, Hunter tried to kill him, but they weren't introduced:)).

Spirit's and Paladin's aren't introductions, which makes sense since they'd both already met him (Paladin especially, who acts like he's old friends with Blair when they 'meet' in WC).

My take has always been that Maniac's was *always* a joke -- since even back in 1990 they had created the backstory that the'd gone to the Academy together.

That just leaves Angel as being a bit odd. :)

And... when the heck would the rest of Wing Commander Academy happen in this timeline of yours? Would you be a cadet getting breifings from Tolwyn and every now and then as a Lt from Halcoyn? Why would a cadet be on the front lines on a fleet carrier, with an admiral TALKING to him no less? When does Blair stop being a cadet? Why doesn't anyone call him a cadet in the movie? Did he get bounced back to cadet after the movie, or does Tolwyn just give Blair a petname of 'Cadet'? I mean, crapsakes, you can probably be a Major halfway through WC1 or even a caption at 1/4 the way through. When could all of this cadet business happen?

Great -- if there's one thing I love, it's making timelines. And cake. Timelines and cake. Academy is pretty self explanatory, though. Clearly, the last episode takes place on the 2654 Sivar-Eshrad ceremony (just after the Venice campaign)... so the rest of the episodes can go right around that point. They also have to happen *after* the WC3 novel's reference about a time when Tolwyn took command of the Tiger's Claw from Captain Thorn (which can be placed any time before SM1, when Halcyon is apparently in command).

The cadet bit is actually explained in the WCA press release. The series isn't about their Academy (as in, what happens before flight school) training -- in fact, the first episode is set at flight school, which would be after they graduated (referenced in the Handbook). It's literally a 'Wing Commander Academy', where promising young pilots are being groomed/trained for command positions.

[QUOET]Legnthy and pointless? It is typical, and the what-if scenarioes are certainly MORE plausable than having the Tiger's Claw apart of a class that was decades old before the war started only to have the class be upgraded several times to the point of not resembling the old class at all, only because the class's name isn't "Tiger's Claw". The what-if scenarios are not unusual - they most certainly can happen.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, ships are *never* upgraded. The concept is crazy! Crazy!

/me flies off in his P-64D Super Ferret.

As to asking what my experience is with the military - books, lots of websites, more books, reading the Budget Highlights, the strategy/doctorine publications "..From the Sea", testomonies to the Armed Services Comittee. I follow it pretty closely even though I haven't served. So many questions around here are about ships, what-ifs about ships, unanswered questions about ships we never saw and ambigous things about the ships we do know about --- and it seems strange to me that you seem to have no knowledge of real-life ship histories. DANFS is a great read, so is "The Encyclopedia of Ships" ( a book basically produced for Barnes' and Noble, a little out dated now but basically good for the last 250 years). How can we expound about make-belief without even having a grasp on how REAL ships and fleets are built and organized?

I'm going to ignore the fact that 'I'm special, I read a book!' is one of the lamest troll techniques ever for the time being... and point out that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Because I like the Wing Commander movie I must know nothing about history? *THAT* makes sense!

My statement - "depending on what you call launching" isn't flimsey at all. Lots of people think launching is when you are done building the ship and send it off to war. It isn't, launching has formally been when the ship slides down the building skids. Maybe in Wing Commander launching is when the ship runs under its own power for the first time and then has to be fitted out - or maybe its when it is towed out of the building yard - or maybe the way Trekkies do it, a ship is launched for the very first time totally ready to go do its 5 year mission thing.

There you go -- and *why* to the Trekkies do it that way? Because they've had to create a series of rediculous explanations for conflicting statements about the Enterprise' age. Just like you're doing now.

Incidentally -- your IP is a match for some of Concordia's old Aces Board posts. So, perhaps that's why you aren't posting under whatever your registered 'nick is? Why the ruse, though -- I'm certainly just as willing to debate with him (G)

Bandit LOAF said:
Incidentally -- your IP is a match for some of Concordia's old Aces Board posts. So, perhaps that's why you aren't posting under whatever your registered 'nick is? Why the ruse, though -- I'm certainly just as willing to debate with him (G)

I always thought Concordia was a girl, she even talks too much :p

Where do those "stealth fighters" appear in SM2... I´ve never noticed them.

Uh... my IP would "match" for about probably 20 percent or more of all North American consumer traffic right now.

Right here, in this room, is AOL dialup (dynamic IPs), and upstairs is AT&T broadband (seemingly randomly refreshing IPs and they have a large costumer base), at school I have more or less a permanent IP. Your knowledge of IPs - holy cow, the first few parts probably match, makes you sort of a detective (that is, if I was Concordia, and if that wasn't a AOL IP, which millions of other people also have ones like).

Concordia wasn't a "me too!" poster, so I wonder why she isn't around anymore... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Read a book..

No, I'm not claiming I'm special because I read things anyone can get ahold of.

But I had to say that you don't need to serve to know about the military.

Though, *clearly* I do not know what I am talking about, because you always know what you are talking about.

I am curious - why take a stance against people posting copies of games not available from the publisher, ones you can find in a store only if you are super lucky and in an area where that would be possible (like Secret Ops and KS)? So people must buy them second hand - no big deal for SO - but then pay at or around 100 dollars for Kilrathi Saga? (Neither are hard to get - but it is TABBOOOOOOOOOO around here to speak of such heresey!)

Meanwhile, you support posting of all of the animated episodes, and you are talking about putting them on DVDs. Somewhere, these episodes are still being run, and Mark Hamill might get a 75 cent check for the replay royalties.

You also have movies from the games and music from the games (the MP3s, not the MIDIs).

So you can put up things where no one could make money from (except for the cartoon episodes) and try to block out things people can get money from (although, certainly not the developers).

What gives? How can you play the upper hand about protecting the integrity of the WC brand by not allowing piracy but have all of this illegal material on your site -- unless you went through the legalities to get permission to have the animated episodes on your site................... for some reason I doubt that.

Chad Hart said:
How can you play the upper hand about protecting the integrity of the WC brand by not allowing piracy but have all of this illegal material on your site -- unless you went through the legalities to get permission to have the animated episodes on your site................... for some reason I doubt that.
I think they do have permission, actually...

Anyway, I don't have any problems at all with topic drift, but this is not the place to discuss the site's rules or the moral integrity of the CIC's staff. You could continue this discussion via email or something, I'd appreciate that. Please stop fucking this forum up. :(

I thought the Thunderbolt was an old fighter. Is this the novels thing again, because as fas as I can see they bare very little resembelance to the games. The WCIV fighters don't even show up in the book, so obviously the book is wrong.

Chad Hart said:
I am curious - why take a stance against people posting copies of games not available from the publisher, ones you can find in a store only if you are super lucky and in an area where that would be possible (like Secret Ops and KS)? So people must buy them second hand - no big deal for SO - but then pay at or around 100 dollars for Kilrathi Saga? (Neither are hard to get - but it is TABBOOOOOOOOOO around here to speak of such heresey!)

Don't go there, man, at least not on forum.
While I share some of you're views, it's pointless to argue it here.

Believe me, I've been there.

Oh, and the CZ staff claim they do have permission to post this stuff, so unless you want to go to court with this, I'd say take their word.

Nice topic, BTW. Quite funny at times, no offence.

Uh... my IP would "match" for about probably 20 percent or more of all North American consumer traffic right now.

Right here, in this room, is AOL dialup (dynamic IPs), and upstairs is AT&T broadband (seemingly randomly refreshing IPs and they have a large costumer base), at school I have more or less a permanent IP. Your knowledge of IPs - holy cow, the first few parts probably match, makes you sort of a detective (that is, if I was Concordia, and if that wasn't a AOL IP, which millions of other people also have ones like).

*This* post is from AOL -- half of them, however, resolve to "insightBB". Perhaps it's part of AT&T's backbone... but it's a very specific Indiana-based part of AT&T's backbone. Furthermore, you *claim* that you have a posting account. Your IPs match only one board account. Care to guess which?

Concordia wasn't a "me too!" poster, so I wonder why she isn't around anymore... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

His profile claims he last posted here just two weeks ago -- and since he said nothing about going away, it would be hard to claim that he's not "around anymore". You know, unless you were him. :)

Interesting, however, how quickly your argument disappeared when you had a chance to jump on something else!

But I had to say that you don't need to serve to know about the military.

I certainly agree with that -- I would say that a healthy percentage (myself included) of WC fans have an interest in military history.

There's two very simple reasons why we don't allow people to post about warez here: it would violate our web hosts TOS and it would endager what has always been a highly beneficial relationship with Wing Commander's copywrite holders. The *personal* feelings of the CIC staff run the gamut -- several of them believe the games should be downloaded and would be happy to help people do that in private.

(Personally, I do not -- Kilrathi Saga can be had for a few bucks within a week of searching old games stores. Warez has always stank of laziness to me.)

Meanwhile, you support posting of all of the animated episodes, and you are talking about putting them on DVDs. Somewhere, these episodes are still being run, and Mark Hamill might get a 75 cent check for the replay royalties.

You also have movies from the games and music from the games (the MP3s, not the MIDIs).

So you can put up things where no one could make money from (except for the cartoon episodes) and try to block out things people can get money from (although, certainly not the developers).

What gives? How can you play the upper hand about protecting the integrity of the WC brand by not allowing piracy but have all of this illegal material on your site -- unless you went through the legalities to get permission to have the animated episodes on your site................... for some reason I doubt that.

We have permission to post all of those things -- from both the individuals in charge of their creation and from the 'powers that be'. In fact, whenever Origin changes PR representatives, we go through the process of reconfirming all of this. Which means we've gone through all of our material four times now just for the sake of making absolutely sure we're not doing anything wrong.

(In fact, we have tried on *numerous* occasions to get permission to release some of the games for download -- I'm in ongoing discussions about the PC Gamer release of Kilrathi Saga, the other episodes of Secret Ops and the uncut version of the WC movie as we debate this nonsense.)

But why these supposedly easily-flammable questions? Expecting some sort of horrible rant about the evils of everything-but-me :)? Where'd the timeline discussion go?

Anyway, I don't have any problems at all with topic drift, but this is not the place to discuss the site's rules or the moral integrity of the CIC's staff. You could continue this discussion via email or something, I'd appreciate that. Please stop fucking this forum up.

Sorry, Eder -- I'm happy to continue this discussion via e-mail or at one of the other boards. (That'd involve some identity on the part of other parties involved, though :)). If you like, I'll move the thread to the main board.

I thought the Thunderbolt was an old fighter. Is this the novels thing again, because as fas as I can see they bare very little resembelance to the games. The WCIV fighters don't even show up in the book, so obviously the book is wrong.

According to Origin's Authorized COmbat Guide to Wing Commander III, the Thunderbolt is six months old as of Wing Commander 3. I don't believe the novels say anything about its age.

hey actually according to the time frame im suprised to not to see the TCS Tiger's Claw in the ships Active Duty roster under the Bengal Class that is i only hope that she will be put onto the roster Plz ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :D

Actually, now, you can't even download episode one of secret ops. A quick question, what are exactly warez-I have never heard that term before except in the rules?

Iceblade said:
Actually, now, you can't even download episode one of secret ops. A quick question, what are exactly warez-I have never heard that term before except in the rules?

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about -- episode one of Secret Ops is still a legal download (Origin considers it to be a 'demo' for Prophecy Gold). All their links seem to be broken, though. If people still need it, I'm sure we can put it up at the new CIC FTP.

(Warez is just a 'hip' term for pirated software.)

Okay. What is weird about prophecy gold is I have never even seen it in any stores-my brother never saw it either. Plus, we weren't very much online when this whole SO thing came out,either. SO was an okay game though. Got lukily in getting from Locke.

Lance Casey said:
hey actually according to the time frame im suprised to not to see the TCS Tiger's Claw in the ships Active Duty roster under the Bengal Class that is i only hope that she will be put onto the roster
Hmmmm? How could a carrier that was destroyed ten years earlier be in active duty during Standoff?

Lance Casey said:
hey actually according to the time frame im suprised to not to see the TCS Tiger's Claw in the ships Active Duty roster under the Bengal Class that is i only hope that she will be put onto the roster Plz ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :D

Hey Quarto is right I was dead back then :p ,you mean TCSTigersClaw II or something ?
Well I am not replacable ! :mad: :p

Lance Casey said:
hey actually according to the time frame im suprised to not to see the TCS Tiger's Claw in the ships Active Duty roster under the Bengal Class...
Standoff takes place between April 2668 and January 2669... the Tiger's Claw was destroyed more than ten years earlier, so I'm afraid I won't be able to include it in the project :p

Bandit LOAF said:
Sorry, Eder -- I'm happy to continue this discussion via e-mail or at one of the other boards. (That'd involve some identity on the part of other parties involved, though :)). If you like, I'll move the thread to the main board.
Ah, I'd like to keep it here, as there's still some Standoff-related discussion going on, it seems. Chad's first few posts were ok - my warning, after his last post, was just to make it clear that I don't want this to turn into one of those threads where someone says "screw the rules!", causing everyone else to start posting sometimes not-so-polite replies... which ultimately serve no purpose at all. If that kind of thing happens I'll just split the thread and leave the half which doesn't concern Standoff in your capable hands :p

Back