Standoff in Windows 2000

Nomad Terror

Rear Admiral
This is how I managed to get Standoff working on my Windows 2000 SP4 rig. Your mileage may vary.

1. Make sure you are running SP4 with the latest version of everything (drivers and directx).
2. If you have not yet, run this command in start > run: regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
3. Create a shortcut to standoff.exe (*not* to the launcher)
4. Bring up the shortcut's properties (right-click menu) and enable Windows 95 compatibility mode (which will now be enabled from the above step)
5. Run dxdiag in start > run, go to the Sound tab, and completely disable audio hardware acceleration (slider all the way to the left)
6. Run the game *using the shortcut to standoff.exe*. Use the launcher only to bring up the options menu.

The game will still randomly crash for me, but in my experience it is now reduce to one crash every couple of hours as opposed to every few minutes.

If you have a Windows 2000 machine, please try these steps out and let me know here how it works out for you.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them here as well.

Standoff @ WIN2000

here is how I workd it out to get this one going.
you can decrease the risk of Errors if you limit
the incoming com-videos to "plot critical" >
in my case it works out well.

good fligth

i tried your idea and it is a step in the right direction, but now it dumps me out when the actual mission begins to load.

if there is any other info that could help i would appreciate it.

thanks
-brad

LIke I said, your mile may vary. I have no other ideas other than what is posted above.

However, I invite you to fiddle with it and then tell us here what you did if you manage to get it working better, or even completely.

yay, i got it to work

after the advice given by nomad terror i could get to the menu screen and from there it was just a matter of fiddling.

i believe it was the cockpit struts that were tripping things up all i had to do was turn them off and then i was able to play without incident (so far).

thanks for all the help, now im off to play
-brad

So, to recount

After my steps in the first post, one may also try
-Limiting comm traffic to Plot-Critical
-Turning off cockpit struts

Keep up the testing, guys, we probably will include this kind of find in the launcher FAQ for the next release.

I am starting to believe there is no sure-fire way to get Secret Ops running in Windows 2000, and all we can do is reduce the risk of problems and hope for the best.

Every once in a while I will get a lot of errors and then other times I can play for extended periods with no problems. Without changing anything at all. It is certainly weird.

I found installing from the downloaded program created the error "The dynamic link library glide2x.dll could not be found in the specified path" followed by a bunch of gibberish. Obviously, it has to do with the video card or whatever but it still gives me that jive when I try to use the Software Rendering. The game doesn't even install.

I also have a copy of SO on disc - the game installs properly off the disc but it gives me the same error.

For shits 'n giggles, I installed Standoff anyway. It did that just fine but when I run it, it screams afoul of "DD::setDisplayMode 16385" or whatever that means.

okay, im getting another error during the 4th mission when you talk to your friend flying the sabre; after some banter it givfes me a fatal error alon the lines of:

fs::thread requestSemaphore & requestListMutex 1 2
fs::addRequest requestListMutex 0 128
fs::addRequest requestListMutex 0 128

any help would be appreciated

thanks
-brad

@LeHah

Do you have two copie of SO on your hard drive ? Some people made a copy of their SO folder to install UE in it. The thing is, there can be only one SO folder.

Please be more precise about your problem you we can help you better. Please also tell us what you setup is. Is your machine running Win2000 ? What's your video card model ? There are a few things you can already check, though.

• There can be only one SO Folder, and this folder is the one where the SO installer last installed the game. If you know how to view/edit the windows registry, check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Systems\Wing Commander Secret Ops\Installed to: value. Be aware that if you try to move or rename the SO folder, the SO registry keys will be deleted, making it impossible to run SO/UE/Standoff until you reinstall SO with it's installer.
  • Glide2x.dll is a Glide Hi-res DLL, wich is not used by Standoff.
  • You can always try to clean reinstall SO then Standoff.
  • Don't forget to set the compatibility mode to Win95... to get to set it Right-click the Standoff.exe file, click Properties, then click the "Compatibility" tab.
  • If you video card is a radeon, you cannot use the 32-bit d3d mode. Use the 16-bits modes instead.

I'm on a P3 800 with Win2000 (5.00.2195 / Service Pack 4) and as far as I can tell - theres only one SO folder on my computer. My Registry checks out as to having the single default folder (Program Files/Origin Systems/Secret Ops)

Strangely, when I right-click there is no "Compatibility" tab in my Properties menu.

Also, I have two video cards on this machine. Windows says both are running fine - but one only works in windows and the other only works while the computer is booting. I've never figured this problem out but Ive never tried very hard. And yes, the one that won't run in Windows is a lot better.

(All this is just one more reason Im saving up for a new PC)

LeHah said:
Strangely, when I right-click there is no "Compatibility" tab in my Properties menu.
In Win2000, the "Compatibility" tab is located in the properties of a shortcut. So you have to create a shortcut of the .EXE and go in it's properties.
LeHah said:
Also, I have two video cards on this machine. Windows says both are running fine - but one only works in windows and the other only works while the computer is booting. I've never figured this problem out but Ive never tried very hard. And yes, the one that won't run in Windows is a lot better.
I don't have a dual-video system on hand, but I think you only have to go in the display properties, "parameters" tab, select the inactive screen and click the "Extend my desktop over this screen" checkbox. (Names are approximates, since I am on a french Windows and translating for you).

I don't know if it's possible to play Prophecy/SO on dual-video card though, I've never been able to make it work since my only PCI video cards are old crap.

Made the shortcut - only to find the tabs General / Shortcut / Security are on there.

I'd totally love to change my default video card - but I did it once and accidently dicked my entire system over for a good 30 minutes before I fixed it. It was all crazy blurry and stuff. If it were any other peice of hardware, it would be no problem but I always have bad luck with video cards n shit.

Whoops - thanks for pointing that out, Nomad!

Ok, hows this for weird? I can run Secret Ops no problem - but Standoff still gives me the DD::setDisplayMode 16385 error!

Edit Oooh, now SO will boot me out at random with some really fun errors!

fs:: thread requestSemaphore & requestlistMutex 1 2
fs:: addRequest requestlistMutex 128 0
fs:: read WaitForMultipleObjects 1 3
fs:: close requestlistMutex & blockMutex & file tableMutex 128 5

PopsiclePete said:
@LeHah
[*]If you video card is a radeon, you cannot use the 32-bit d3d mode. Use the 16-bits modes instead.
[/list]
The latest Omega-series drivers correct this.

Back