[SPOILERS] Star Wars movie thread... [Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the movie yet]

I absolutely loved it, my favorite right behind empire. I thought Chewy got more character development in seven than he did in all of the OT. Kylo is my favorite character, he is obviously a poser and not near as powerful as he is trying to make everyone else believe he is, just a real interesting character. I loved Rey bc Daisey is a great actress far better than mark was in a New Hope. I love mark but he had to grow into the role, his acting in a new hope was pretty bad. I thought the first half of the movie was a 10/10, and the second have was a 8.5/10, basically it went slightly down hill after the alien creatures attacked on han's cargo ship. I didnt need death star 3 lol. I had no problem with the final battle bc one kylo was injured the movie sets up just how powerful chewy's crossbow is, and he gets shot in the gut, and its heavily implied that rey is luke's daughter, and I always thought luke was more strong in the force than Leia.

anyways overall about a 9/10 I have seen it twice and liked it even better the second time

I read aftermath some fans hated it I thought it was passable, I really liked two characters in the novel. and if you read it, it does flesh a little out in the force awakens. I got Lords of the Sith for christmas so I wil be reading that next

That said: I really loved the characters. I thought even Kylo Ren who came across as more of a brat than a true villain (lacked gravitas), was at least a three-dimensional character. Both Finn and Rey are good characters to pass the torch to. I liked Rey especially as the heir to the light side. The saber battles were excellent and it was a nice set up piece for the rest of the story.

I thought Kylo Ren was exactly what Anakin should have been in the prequels. Yes, he's an emotional brat (every time something went wrong there went a computer terminal) and he's clearly conflict in such a way to not make him overly whiny. His insecurities and faults make his fall to the dark side all the better. He's not just suddenly swept up because he doesn't want his wife to die. He's trying to be the pinnacle of the dark side of the force by emulating Vader when he was at his peak.

I thought the final saber battle was great. Although, Finn is going to need a hell of a lot of medical attention. Taking a saber slice right down the spine can't be good. Looking back at the movie poster it shows Ren and Rey next to each other with his saber and her staff lined up. It, of course, makes sense now seeing that Rey and not Finn is the force-sensitive.

Anakin's lightsaber calling out to her (and hearing the voices of both Obi-Wan's and I think Yoda) was interesting. It was not something I expected (or the flashbacks it caused). It seems pretty likely she was a youngling when Ren killed the trainees and someone, Luke?, hid her on Jakku. Given how powerful she was in that final battle, pulling the saber right by him, I'm guessing she's got to be a Skywalker or had some training that was maybe surpassed by the trauma of being left behind.

The new supreme bad guy is a bit confusing. I've read places that I guess he's been around forever and knows all about the Skywalkers and everything else. I'm sure they'll explore his rise in 8 and 9.

I wonder why Leila never trained to be a Jedi. She's obviously strong with the force (she knew the moment Han died) and I'm sure the training would have been useful in her campaigns.

Overall, I thought the movie was really fun and a great way to kick off the trilogy. Yes, it had a few too many nods to ANH and the other movies (can we please not have another giant death sphere with a single weak spot and a trench leading to it?) but at the same time I liked how they connected the movies.

He's trying to be the pinnacle of the dark side of the force by emulating Vader when he was at his peak.

There's a certain irony here: Ren doesn't seem to understand that in the end Vader was redeemed by Luke. So his whole desire to follow in granddad's footsteps is based on a faulty premise. That further complicates his character. I didn't mind him as a brat, but when you compare him against a Vader, Maul, or even dare I type it: Dooku, he was a very immature Sithling. Just an interesting character.

I thought Kylo Ren was exactly what Anakin should have been in the prequels. Yes, he's an emotional brat (every time something went wrong there went a computer terminal) and he's clearly conflict in such a way to not make him overly whiny. His insecurities and faults make his fall to the dark side all the better. He's not just suddenly swept up because he doesn't want his wife to die. He's trying to be the pinnacle of the dark side of the force by emulating Vader when he was at his peak.

I thought the final saber battle was great. Although, Finn is going to need a hell of a lot of medical attention. Taking a saber slice right down the spine can't be good. Looking back at the movie poster it shows Ren and Rey next to each other with his saber and her staff lined up. It, of course, makes sense now seeing that Rey and not Finn is the force-sensitive.

Anakin's lightsaber calling out to her (and hearing the voices of both Obi-Wan's and I think Yoda) was interesting. It was not something I expected (or the flashbacks it caused). It seems pretty likely she was a youngling when Ren killed the trainees and someone, Luke?, hid her on Jakku. Given how powerful she was in that final battle, pulling the saber right by him, I'm guessing she's got to be a Skywalker or had some training that was maybe surpassed by the trauma of being left behind.

The new supreme bad guy is a bit confusing. I've read places that I guess he's been around forever and knows all about the Skywalkers and everything else. I'm sure they'll explore his rise in 8 and 9.

I wonder why Leila never trained to be a Jedi. She's obviously strong with the force (she knew the moment Han died) and I'm sure the training would have been useful in her campaigns.

Overall, I thought the movie was really fun and a great way to kick off the trilogy. Yes, it had a few too many nods to ANH and the other movies (can we please not have another giant death sphere with a single weak spot and a trench leading to it?) but at the same time I liked how they connected the movies.

here are the things I have been hearing about supreme leader snoke (the new big bad guy) is actually darth plagueis. Palpatine mentions him in ep 3. I believe that plagueis was Palpatine's master and was so strong, he could cheat death and bring back life. Palpatine said he killed his master in his sleep, well what if he didnt die and was just watching all these years in the shadows.

as far as leila goes I always thought she seemed weak in the force bc, the only power she ever exhibits is intuition such as han dying or luke needing help at the end of empire. Plus its pretty telling how the twins were treated. one of the last two remaining jedi carefully watched over luke, while leila was just shipped off. The way yoda even mentions her in empire was kind of rude lol. its like if luke fails there really is no hope left but we can try to use leila as a backup lol.

Also I feel Snoke has no real interest in kylo other than using him to draw his uncle back out of hiding. I bet Snoke promised to make him even stronger than vader and its obvious his powers are pretty limited. if you think about it the biggest force ability he had was holding a blaster bolt. If you look at the newer canon there are far stronger force users than him, heck even ezra from rebels seems stronger.

Saw it this afternoon with my 6-year-old son. From my perspective, getting to share a new Star Wars movie with one of my kids, doing the full-on movie experience - tickets under the tree, going to the balcony of an old theater with an oversized bag of popcorn, me with a Dr. Pepper and him with a Sprite, me with a box of Raisinets and him with Junior Mints, him horking it all up while I had to go piss like a racehorse about the time Han and company were descending on the Death Star III - that was totally worth it.

Still digesting the movie itself; when I've had time to think about it, I'll probably have some comments. Also, I have about a five minute gap with the movie, on account of my kid was horking up his snacks while I was having to piss like a racehorse. Anybody want to tell me about that part, or should I just drag my wife to go see the film at the next opportunity?

I saw it opening night, and I was okay with the "remake of ANH" feel of it. I guess part of it has to do with me having read so many of the EU novels that rehashed the same crap that I got kind of numb to it. But this is Star Wars for a newer generation, and I guess they had to reintroduce some of the same ideas, if anything just to get new fans caught up to the feeling of the movies, and old fans to know "Hey guys, this isn't going to be like the prequels, we swear".

The only issue that I had with the movie was that the first 10-15 minutes felt very disjointed to me. Once the TIE crashes on Jakku, it feels like a normal Star Wars film, but until then it was very fast-paced and frantic - almost like someone from Disney stepped in and was like "JJ, you're here to make our Star Wars film, not one of your Star Trek reboots. Calm down." It fit with the scene that was written, but it just felt alien to the rest of the series.

here are the things I have been hearing about supreme leader snoke (the new big bad guy) is actually darth plagueis. Palpatine mentions him in ep 3. I believe that plagueis was Palpatine's master and was so strong, he could cheat death and bring back life. Palpatine said he killed his master in his sleep, well what if he didnt die and was just watching all these years in the shadows.

Also I feel Snoke has no real interest in kylo other than using him to draw his uncle back out of hiding. I bet Snoke promised to make him even stronger than vader and its obvious his powers are pretty limited. if you think about it the biggest force ability he had was holding a blaster bolt. If you look at the newer canon there are far stronger force users than him, heck even ezra from rebels seems stronger.

There is another interesting piece of information that was revealed in the last couple of days - Harrison Ford is in the cast of episode VIII. Is Han Solo alive or dead? If he is alive then how did he survive? As you said, we know that Plagueis can manipulate the force to create life (from what palpatine said in episode III, cant remember the exact words). If snoke is Plagueis then I guess its possible that he could have ordered Solo's body retrieved and revive him in order to further manipulate and control Kylo Ren.

I'm thinking he's just there for some flashback sequences for Kylo Ren. Harrison Ford has wanted Han Solo to die since 1980, and I really don't see how they can make him show up alive without destroying what they've done with the story. I love the character of Han Solo as much as the next guy, but he died well, and it had meaning. I think the new trilogy will have the arc of redeeming Kylo Ren, and I think the way Han touched his face just before falling from the bridge will affect him more than he seemed to think it would.

I'm thinking he's just there for some flashback sequences for Kylo Ren. Harrison Ford has wanted Han Solo to die since 1980, and I really don't see how they can make him show up alive without destroying what they've done with the story. I love the character of Han Solo as much as the next guy, but he died well, and it had meaning. I think the new trilogy will have the arc of redeeming Kylo Ren, and I think the way Han touched his face just before falling from the bridge will affect him more than he seemed to think it would.

I agree, bringng Han - which I as well, like very much - back would cheapen his death, the scene and the back story considerably.

I'm thinking he's just there for some flashback sequences for Kylo Ren. Harrison Ford has wanted Han Solo to die since 1980, and I really don't see how they can make him show up alive without destroying what they've done with the story.

I never really cared for Han Solo in the original trilogy, but I'll admit I liked him in episode VII. You might be absolutely right, he may appear only in flashbacks - personally I doubt it tho. Harrison Ford has been one of the biggest names in Hollywood for the past 30 years or so, his name alone sells movie tickets. Combine that with star wars and its a money making machine. IMO flashbacks would be a cheap way to bring him back for episode VIII. I think they dont fit well in movies. Remember the carbonite fron Empire. Off course we knew he wasnt dead in that movie, but there was a chance Solo wouldn't be back for Jedi. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I think Solo will be back. Also take a look at this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-wrong-want-Han-Solo-killed-Return-Jedi.html

Last edited:
I'm tossing all of the "Han Solo is still alive" in with the "Jar Jar Binks is the Sith Lord behind everything". Harrison Ford got paid orders of magnitude more than the rest of the actors in Ep. VII. I guarantee that before the fee was negotiated, he had J.J. agree in writing to kill Solo off. He had the biggest part in this one, went out with a bang. He will only be back for more $$$ and to help build more backstory for Ren in flashbacks.

Seriously though, lightsaber through the chest, then falling into the core of a planet/super-weapon that proceeds to implode/explode.... plus, Disney LOVES killing parents....

I've got ten cents that says Han comes back as a Force ghost in VIII (because reasons). Maybe he haunts Rey (again, because reasons).

And maybe when he touched Ren's face, he was really transferring his katra......er wait, wrong series / species / in general / every-effing-thing.

I doubt that han solo will be back I mean he gto ran thru fell down a pit and the planet blew up.

can I tell yall the weakest link to me and that is lelia. it seems yrs of hard living has made her forget how to act. I didnt really buy any scenes she was in. I really do like the movie a lot. next up for me is the hateful eight

That's as good a prediction as any capi. Why else would Leia be able to sense his death? Unless it was a ripple from Ren, and she knew it could be nothing else.

MartySheen, I want Han back as much as anyone, but I seriously think they would do a great disservice to the franchise (the likes which haven't been seen since George Lucas was at the helm). But, we have the Han Solo "solo" movie to look forward to. <-- see what I did there?

My first reaction to seeing the film was that this is like a 4th part to the original trilogy - but I don't mean that as compliment. It's a typical sequel in series that was starting to get tired by third film (another Death Star?). Avoiding spoilers and reviews I had expected this to be a big new beginning of a completely new trilogy - as in something that would be as separate from original as prequels were - so I was surprised and kind of disappointed.

TFA has number of good things: characters, dialogue (JJ wasn't the worst thing in prequels, Padme and Anakin talks were) and action. But there's too much of the same old, it's like endless inside joke with little anything new. And overall plot is worst of all seven. Also, am I the only one who noticed lack of meaningful music? IV to II all had great music, III mostly recycled the olds without any new, but VII... you hardly notice there is any.
In my count, VII competes with II and III for places 4-6.

My big theory: Rey is Ben's sister.
The Solos believe she died (but was really kidnapped) as child. It makes sense Han and Leia don't mention their long ago dead child, especially as they're busy with their living child being second most evil person in galaxy. This is also why Ben-Ren turned to dark side and is obsessed being "strong as Vader"; like Anakin with his mother, he wasn't strong enough to save her and blames himself - and also blames Han.
I'm not sure if the timeline fits, but she could've sneaked aboard Falcon when it was stolen, instead of dying in... explosion or whatever that happened during the incident.

I'd agree with you on your theory about Rey, if not for the footage of the Disney Infinities gameplay where Kylo Ren clearly calls Rey "cousin". Unless they're bringing Thrackan Sal-Solo back from the "Legends" non-canon timeline, that chick is Luke's daughter.

Back