Speed Issues

TransAm

Spaceman
I'm wondering, playing Prophecy on my Athlon 64 is kinda weird, basically the movies fly by but the flight is still very much playable. I loved the ole WC games for the story as much as the flying, so I'm worried about not being able to catch anything out of Standoff's cutscenes.

Yes, you will.

The problem you have with movies can be fixed (on most, but not all computers) simply by running dxdiag and switching off sound hardware acceleration. However, earlier this year HCl released a patch to remove the skipping from WCP without doing the above. We are working on integrating that patch into Standoff as well. So, hopefully nobody will have these problems.

I was meaning that I didn't really want to have to lower my sound acceleration because I don't like having to go back and turn it back up to play HL2, or BF nam, or one of the other games I love to play. I haven't tried that patch yet though. I shall run it.

Update - I can now confirm that the anti-skipping patch is in Standoff, and it works (at least for me :p).

Thats comforting. The anti skipping patch did not work on my Athlon 64 system... so I built a Duron system and I'll trying it soon on this system.

I don't think its thew speed of your PC thats creating the skipping with the video. The issue is not like that of WC1 where anything but a 386 will allow it to run too fast.

My old PII350 system which I first played WCP on was inferior to the Duron system you're going to make. If the new integrated patch doesn't work you'll just have to do as Quarto suggests. Although personally I always found that this patch could cause problems in-game with some systems.

Just fopr the record: The anti-skipping patch of Standoff works on my Athlon64/Audigy 2/Win XP. However the sync of speech and video seems to be slightly off. The DXDiag trick doesn't work.

jammyo2k said:
The issue is not like that of WC1 where anything but a 386 will allow it to run too fast.
Try 286 and older. Even on my 386, WC1 plays a little too fast unless I disable the 'turbo' mode - remember those buttons on the PC box? ;)

Quarto said:
Update - I can now confirm that the anti-skipping patch is in Standoff, and it works (at least for me :p).

Is this Patch also in the 1.02V of UE ? Cause I recently installed it again with the patch and the videos are just fine.I dont know why,they just play perfect now

TCSTigersClaw said:
Is this Patch also in the 1.02V of UE ? Cause I recently installed it again with the patch and the videos are just fine.I dont know why,they just play perfect now
Nope. If the UE videos play perfectly for you now, thank your lucky stars ;).

See what I did was slapp together a duron 750, 128 ddr266 and and old ati rage pro 2x agp and a soud blaster live 5.1. With windows 98 all the WC3,4 and Prophecy work without cutting all the sound accl. down. With a WC deciated computer I don't have to worry about resetting the DXdiag back up to play HL2 or BF-nam or anything else. It wasn't a big deal, but when you got a pile of spare parts lying around might has well use them. Its alot easier to cut back the speed of a 750 cpu as aposed to a athlon 64 if I ever play WC1 or WC2 again.

Quarto said:
Nope. If the UE videos play perfectly for you now, thank your lucky stars ;).

Well you should include the patch in hmm V 1.03 .Maybe next time I wont be so lucky :rolleyes:

It seems our video patches still don't like XP too much. The lipsynch on our longer cutscenes looks very convincing on my machine (running Win98SE) and they're also good on Michael's machine (running XP) when he views them as AVIs... however, Quarto and Karl have reported that under XP, the in-game version of the videos have audio synching problems (the audio falls behind the video a bit, which is why it's only noticeable on the longer cutscenes).

So the bottom line is: unless you have a super-duper-mega powerfull PC with the lastest super-bomb video card, it's still better without the patch with the sound acceleration disabled.

Eder - I didn't report this on the Standoff list yet, but the falling behind seems to be semi random as well. The last time I watched the end cinematic I had perfect lipsync. But I definitely second that it would be very nice if UE also got its movie speed limiter. I want to play it again :-(

I can't recall lagging sound issues on WCP's cutscenes (I use the skip-fix on WinXP), but then, it's been a while since I've played WCP.

Well, on my P4, UE's cutscenes never worked properly - it skipped through them at super-speed. My A64 box now is running an oldish SoundBlaster Live card for sound and a Radeon 9600 for video. Should I try the patch (also is it the Movie Player that I want from HCL's site?) or should I disable sound accel?

This seems to really vary from system to system, so there's no way you can tell until you try it.

You should probably try disabling sound acceleration first, with the anti-skip patch turned off (you toggle this in Standoff's launcher options screen), since it's the fix that seems to be more reliable. However, it might not work for you (or you might just not want to turn your sound acceleration off, since it might get in the way of other games or whatever).

In that case, you should try turning sound acceleration back on and enabling the anti-skip patch instead. This is the only way to fix the movies in some systems, but it's been reported that it can cause comms to stutter when your framerate is low during missions.

If the only issue with the patch is potential framerate drop, no problemo there, lol. A64 with the gear I've got on it? Prophecy engine? DUDE! Framerates shouldn't be an issue...lol.

Back