Speech Pack?

What Distro option should we put for 1.0

• Minimum Distro with Midi (84 MB) + Speech/Music Pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wedge009 said:
Just being pedantic, but even OGGs won't sound exactly the same as the rendered MIDIs. :p My ears are becoming too audiophile-like. :(
True enough, thanks to lossy compression, whoever made the oggs (forgot) enjoys better quality when he listens to the midis ;)

(edit after reading below: thanks zaarin :) )

I recorded the MIDIs on my Roland SC-55. It's the same synth used by Origin when they created the music for Privateer (forgot the original composer's name) so the music sounds exactly as it was intended.

well, speakin from a dial-up modem user, I think it would be better for components, but for the people who have broadband and DSL then all at once would be good too, so I guess that havin two types like what was already said would be good. I know it took me 3 nights of downloadin just to get 9b lol.

Glad you're so excited, pygasos :) I am too!...there are reasons for the delay--just to get that last bit of polish.... found two little tweaks with the campaign system just earlier... so I'm glad I've waited so far... most things are dandy though... :)

not sure...we certainly have the capability of putting in the first cutscene...but no one has done the animation yet

Different versions of Privateer have different voices for the player in the introduction. The actor who did the voice in the original release was unavailable when they did the full speech CD... so they rerecorded all of the lines.

The 'disk' voice sounds much cooler.

Personally, I'd like to see the intro integrated. I've never played the original Privateer, so that's one reason I'd like to see it. But, for the rest of us who have never played the original, it would be a nice launch to get us in to what we are doing, rather than us just having to try to figure out what's going on.

Well someone has to do the animation and convert it into a sequence of jpeg images with matching audio and a framerate to go with it...
I've got no such skills--so someone just has to do the work and send me the result and in it goes

Re: two versions of Brownhair's voice
I always preferred the CD version, probably because that's the version I had first. For kicks, I could probably record the disk version using MyJemm and Total Recorder for, but it wouldn't work too well in game as then his voice in the intro wouldn't match his voice in the bar..

The intro would be rather tough to do. If you've seen the other into, you'll know what I mean lol. It's serviceable, but that's about it hehe.

*redundancy edit: for redundancy

You could just rerender the combat scenes using high res models. The rest of the intro is just graphics elements from the regular game.

no one could figure out the compressed audio format... no one has had time to play through RF to get any of hte sounds either... automatically extracting them would be totally elite

Back