Some questions for privateer-remake:

kilolima

Spaceman
Hello,

Just played the game for 2 hours... wow what fun!

Really like the graphics and playing in the privateer world again.

The asteriod fields are AWESOME. Large, random asteriods going all over the place... makes it scary. Kind of feels like that scene in the Millenium Falcon from The Empire Strikes Back.

Just a few questions:

I was wondering what happened to the original privateer jump sequence movie? That was a really neat part from the game and made it feel immersive. Also, after requesting landing and before being at the base, there used to be a pan shot of the ship flying towards the base? Was that removed as well?

I have the windows version, on a 1ghz athlon, but I seem to be missing most of the music, the only music that plays is the mission complete music. Is there more like the original?

On my 32 MB graphics card, I have to play at 640x480. At this size, the text for the nav menus are larger than the buttons! Also, the nav symbols are so large on the map that they overlap each other and the text.

Is there any way to check the nav map from a base, to help in planning missions? Or to see a list of missions currently underway from within the ship or a base?

What a great remake! (if not an improvement on the original) Eagerly awaiting the 1.0 release.

Thanks,

Kilolima

kilolima said:
I was wondering what happened to the original privateer jump sequence movie? That was a really neat part from the game and made it feel immersive. Also, after requesting landing and before being at the base, there used to be a pan shot of the ship flying towards the base? Was that removed as well?
Nothing was "removed" - everything is added back in to the Vegastrike engine to mimic the original Privateer. The developers have not added this back in (and I don't know if they're going to).

I have the windows version, on a 1ghz athlon, but I seem to be missing most of the music, the only music that plays is the mission complete music. Is there more like the original?
All of the original music is there. Either your sound settings are turned down so that you are not hearing everything, or something is wrong. Take a peak at the manual for the sound control keys, and experiment with the "next track" and volume controls to see what happens.

I think (but not sure) that music is missing because the file names have been changed from the names referenced in the privateer directory m3u files. They refer to priv#, whereas music directory files are all base# etc.

Silverain, this release uses the .m3u files in the .privateer009 folder, and those playlist files should point to the new names of the midi files. You will have a .privateer and a .privateer009 folder if you installed beta 9 over an existing installation of a previous beta. In this case, .privateer is ignored and .privateer009 is used instead.

There is no way to access the map from the base interface, but you can see a list of active missions. On the missions screen, underneath Cargo, Bounty etc is a category called Active Missions (if you have any). Click on this to review your active missions.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Silverain, this release uses the .m3u files in the .privateer009 folder, and those playlist files should point to the new names of the midi files. You will have a .privateer and a .privateer009 folder if you installed beta 9 over an existing installation of a previous beta. In this case, .privateer is ignored and .privateer009 is used instead.

Hmm, I actually play from an svn checkout in windows xp (since I'm updating on the latest for the manual) and cvs checkout of vegastrike for the bin directory. I get the .privateer directory only from svn. The game auto-generates .privateer009 when I play. In there I only get (directories) generatedbsp, save, sectors/wcuniversexml, serialised xml, sounds (empty) and textures.

The repository currently contains a .privateer009 directory and no privateer directory. Something weird is happening with checkout, or you haven't done so in a while.

In a somewhat unrelated note, this is why SVN rules compared to CVS.. renaming or deleting a directory is not possible with CVS.. you can see it in the Vegastrike CVS, tons of old, dead empty directories, and a new root directory for every major release.. ugh.

There is no way to access the map from the base interface, but you can see a list of active missions. On the missions screen, underneath Cargo, Bounty etc is a category called Active Missions (if you have any). Click on this to review your active missions.

Hi, I'm not seeing this category on the missions screen... Are you sure its in the .9b release? I can't figure out anyway to see my active missions, and now I have no idea what pirate system I'm supposed to go to for layla or whatever her name is...

kilolima said:
Hi, I'm not seeing this category on the missions screen... Are you sure its in the .9b release? I can't figure out anyway to see my active missions, and now I have no idea what pirate system I'm supposed to go to for layla or whatever her name is...

Oakham base
Pentonville system

Your HUD will have a complete set of directions. You just need to use the scroll keys: Page Up and Page Down. Often the data you need is right there when you launch.

As soon as you launch, fit your F-1 Key twice. That will get you out of the cockpit and into the HUD screen You'll get a much larger field of view.

Now that you're there, depending on the version you're running, the Pipe key, which is two verticle dashes will pause the game so you can orient yourself. On most keyboards BUT NOT ALL, it is SHIFT + BACKSLASH. Some versions use the P key to pause the game.

Now that you're paused, you can page up or down and view the important messages that you're missing. You'll get step by step mission instructions there. You can fill your screen with words if you so desire. I frequently fill the screen, even in combat. I've gotten used to looking THROUGH the text.

At the mission computer in the concourses:
You should see, at the bottom of the computer, Active Missions.

ONLY mission computer missions are there.

The missions from the guilds and the Campaign Missions do NOT show up there.

In PAST experiences, I haven't taken a guild mission in a while, but IN THE PAST, I found that if I took a guild mission, I could STILL stack 3 more mission computer missions on top! Sack them up and run your-selves ragged across the galexy, in your Galexy, stopping at will. Nice Switch from the original.

Tayla's missions will be to:

Go to Oakham Pirate Mining Base with Plastics
Go to Troy/Hector with Brilliance
Go to New Constantinople/New Constantinople with a little MORE Brilliance,
And go to New Constantinople/New Constantinople with a little MORE Brilliance for Santa Claws. Yeah, the fat guy's from Kilrah

Your in flight computer displays will have all that info for you. Just page up and page down to scroll through the info.

Good Luck!

Here's a screen-shot of what I was talking about.

Note the upper left-hand corner. That text is the on-board in-flight computer.

Look at the upper right-hand corner. I'm not sure of the number, but below that, is the first step of the mission. Each step pops up as you're supposed to do it.

Bottom Centre.

Two Radar screens. The one on the left is what's in front of you. The one on the right is what's behind you.

The Lower Right-Hand Corner is what's targeted.
The Lower Left-Hand Corner is you'r ship's Visual Status Readout.
Note the image of the Galaxy in the upper-left is the repair status of the ship.

Attachments

• HUD-View.jpg
    HUD-View.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 183
since you seem to have plenty of bandwidth--when you're going to go to sleep some night, just delete your priv folder and check the whole thing out again...
this should clear up whatever problems seem to happen

maybe SVN got a bit "tired" and needs to be refreshed--I know Mamiya and I do that from time to time due to technical issues and us messing up too many random files

Back