Sol: Exodus

the trailer makes me a bit nervous.. it's got some fairly nice visuals, but all the gameplay they show is a massive photo flash in the last 8 seconds of the video.... I want to see the game play when they claim frantic space battles

Yeah, needs more action, even if they're just at the pre-rendered stage at the moment, it would be nice to see how they envision it.

Well, that could even be ingame shots, they use the Unreal3 engine, which is quite capable. (although I agree that it is more likely those are renders)
But nonetheless... This was one of the most boring trailers for a space game I ever saw.

And since they refuse to show us more, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

the trailer makes me a bit nervous.

I'll tell you what, I was pretty darned confused by the whole thing--how did this game announcement make it to all the news sites, including two postings in one day on Kotaku? They're saying Wing Commander and Austin but don't seem to employ any of the Maverick guys? What's so special about it--there's nothing to see yet.

Then I saw the contact on that press release--David Swofford. Mr. Swofford was Origin's Director of Communications back in the day and he's one of the all-time great people you could meet. He spent years continuing to support our site after Origin moved on to Ultima Online-only projects. Probably more importantly, the last I heard he was still very closely involved with Richard Garriott's new social gaming venture. Interesting things happening here, I think...

The gameplay trailer actually reminds me a lot of the space sim portions in Halo Reach (which I thought were pretty good).

It looks okay, I mean the graphics almost look pre-Freelancer in quality. If it's a good free roaming Privateer style game I'll give it a shot, if not I'll give it a pass unless it's got a really killer story told really well, but it just doesn't look like that's so.

I don't know, I kind of like the "simplified" art style; I feel like we sometimes put way too much emphasis on detailing our spaceships down to the individual nuts and bolts and scorch marks at the expense of getting a cool sci-fi 'feel' to a universe.

Quite. The real test is whether at the end of the game we feel that we had a fun time playing it. The whole ASCII Sector project showed us that bleeding-edge graphics are not always necessary to have fun in a video game.

Don't get me wrong LOAF, I don't mind simple graphics. But the two things that keep me coming back to a game are either good story or open world. The whole reason I still play Half Life or the Sam And Max games is because I enjoy the storyline. I don't really care for the storyline in the GTA games but I still love to go in and drive, or fly, around and blow stuff up for five minutes and then put it aside. HAWX was a good looking game but the story was okay and the missions were all the same so I only played through it once or twice and haven't gone back to it.
The best of both worlds, for me, has always been Privateer, Freelancer, and Batman Arkham City (though I wish the city were bigger). There are undoubtedly more to list but that's my point.

It's a fine balance of development time spent between story, gameplay & visuals. The Tarr Chronicles looked extremely pretty, and on the surface had nice-sounding gameplay and an intriguing background story. But the actual play experience I found monotonous & repetitive, and the storytelling was, in a word, baffling. (who agrees? disagrees?) To me, Freelancer really got the story aspect right - good voice acting, decent pacing, and most importantly not too involved that it detracted from the actual game. (and of course we all just love Privateer)

Lets hope for Exodus they don't try and pull off a multi-threaded space epic extravaganza - told through cockpit comms!

I'm totally in love with the art style from this game. hope you are too as you are likely to see some of it from me in the same style.

Back