So is this it?

Deadman_ny

Spaceman
I know I havn't posted in a few...years but things have happened. Started a buisness, had a couple of kids, had the old lady commited away (revenge is sweet) and I havn't posted but like I said...busy. :rolleyes:
However I still play WC and have been looking for another flight sim series to fill the gap until another installment comes out. It's pathetic I know but I still fire up the old SNES version now and again to relive the 'old days'. Yes, a few times a week I check CIC praying that there is a light at the end of the tunnel where the WC saga will continue, a new novel (End Run is still my favorite and it still brings a tear to my eye when Bear lays down on his cot and can still smell the perfume, hell just thinking about it is making me depressed.
The fanfiction has kept me going more or less. Love to read and knowing that there are still some die hard (and VERY talented) fans out there gives rise to hope but god man couldn't they do something more with this franchise other then...well whats being done now or did the Nephilem defeat the Confederation after all? Doubtful since it was a pretty cool game...even though like when I had to upgrade from my SNES to a computer when the guy at EB told me that the next installment of WC was to be PC based and my Brother word processor wouldn't be able to handle it. :( So little by little a saved and bought a computer pasrt by part over the course of a year. Remember when an 8 meg simm's cost almost $80 each and boards needed at least 2 to work...?
Movie thing was cool until I saw it had almost NOTHING to do with WING COMMANDER other then the names ofthe caractors..wtf was the Pilgrim bull? Look, in the corse of all those games........that's been dabated to death. And isn't worth the energy.
Then again maybe the game (wc) wasn't all that it was cracked up to be in the first place? After all, every time and I do mean EVERY time I've ever mentioned the game to a friend or someone over the net their responce was and pretty much still is "eh? whats that?" But it meant something to me, and well, every other sychopathic wc fan out there. More or less that didn't matter since I loved it and even got my first love to 'play' it with me. More or less she'd (and yes she was a girl);) use the joystick (insert sick joke) and I'd do the stuff with the keyboard. All in all lots of laughs trying to play like that.
No I'm not saying wc sucks but it feels like, is like
Blair IS dead now so in essence what was Wing Commander died with him on that wormhole gate and I'm getting along in years myself and my fear is that my PITIFUL existince which centered around the story, the gameplay and like in life itself the need to know what is to come for the Kilrathi and Man. Wll, that and when I go to the software store looking for the next cool flight sim and nothing is there. Well how to you guys feel?
Last but not least please understand that I in no way think the game sucks. I want to make that clear. I'm just PISSED that Origin
(rip) and EA just dumpted it like that and my feeble mind wants MORE!
That's my short tanhgent. Rip me apart or do you feel the same?

I remember sending the CIC an e-mail just like this back when this stuff was still... new.

Anyway, it's sad that space shooters have declined. It's an unfortunate consequence of popularizing a hobby, and then following up with cheap and accessable consoles.

Eh, there's 17 year old punks that are still discovering WC anew and enjoying the heck out of the series, old timer. They're posting right now.

As the bugs said, "This death means nothing!"

Blair was a central character, and his loss is terrible, true, but WC CAN survive w/o him! Armada, Privateer, the Darkening, and all the original stories created by fan mods got along fine with other characters as the leads! Not to mention by Prophecy Blair was a mere side character!

So its not like there aren't other angles to be explore!

However, in this case, "Wing Commander will always live on through its fans." is the literal truth! Go play the fan mods, they are as good as the originals!

I'm just PISSED that Origin
(rip) and EA just dumpted it like that and my feeble mind wants MORE!
That's my short tanhgent. Rip me apart or do you feel the same?

We would all like another big extravaganza of a game and someday maybe we'll get it. Feelings about every WC product has varied greatly over the years and the more time passes it seems more people appreciate Prophecy for what it is.

People a free to feel what they want about these, but they are part of the official continuity and arguing against it goes nowhere good. Even if people don't like the movie for example they owe it to themselves to understand how it affects WC in general (which in reality is not a whole lot, but for those willing to take the plunge there are a number of neat things to discover about it.)

As for origin/ EA. It would be hard to suggest they "just dropped it". Over the last ten years, They have actively considered a number of proposals that made it to all kinds of stages of development. Most of those were privateer and or Online style gameplay models though. And finally this year we actually have a game release. Arena may just be a small arcade style multiplayer shooter, but it's definitely a good sign, and as well as a fun throwback.

As the bugs said, "This death means nothing!"

Blair was a central character, and his loss is terrible, true, but WC CAN survive w/o him! Armada, Privateer, the Darkening, and all the original stories created by fan mods got along fine with other characters as the leads! Not to mention by Prophecy Blair was a mere side character!

So its not like there aren't other angles to be explore!

However, in this case, "Wing Commander will always live on through its fans." is the literal truth! Go play the fan mods, they are as good as the originals!

This is a great post. Wing Commander is *much* larger than Christopher Blair. Sure, Christopher Blair introduced us to the Wing Commander universe, but the universe is much larger than just one man.

We should feel extremely lucky that Wing Commander is continuing to evolve, expand and live even after the death of the primary character of the first 4 games!

The fanfiction has kept me going more or less. Love to read and knowing that there are still some die hard (and VERY talented) fans out there gives rise to hope but god man couldn't they do something more with this franchise other then...well whats being done now or did the Nephilem defeat the Confederation after all?

Well, the good news is that the Confederation won! EA did a classic Wing Commander manual when they released Wing Commander Arena on XBLA earlier in the year. You can read all about the Wing Commander universe roughly twenty years after Prophecy here: http://images.ea.com/ea/arcade/draft2cRGB.pdf

Then again maybe the game (wc) wasn't all that it was cracked up to be in the first place? After all, every time and I do mean EVERY time I've ever mentioned the game to a friend or someone over the net their responce was and pretty much still is "eh? whats that?" But it meant something to me, and well, every other sychopathic wc fan out there. More or less that didn't matter since I loved it and even got my first love to 'play' it with me. More or less she'd (and yes she was a girl) use the joystick (insert sick joke) and I'd do the stuff with the keyboard. All in all lots of laughs trying to play like that.

By the simple nature of the audience, gamers' memories are short. A lot of people who knew Wing Commander grew up and moved on from video games... and the next generation of players who took their place didn't understand why it was important. Still, from a purely historical standpoint Wing Commander was *essential* to what game development has become today. It's the title that invented the big-budget mass-appeal project - before Wing Commander, PC games were for hobbyists.

Hell, I still enjoy tooling around with the first game in one way or another. Just today I was playing around with putting the characters in Soul Calibur.

Eh, there's 17 year old punks that are still discovering WC anew and enjoying the heck out of the series, old timer. They're posting right now.

16 year old, and not punk. WC was born shortly before I was, and my first memories are not on the playground, but being my dad's "co-pilot." I love this series for all it's worth and then some. I just wish there was a new space sim (WC) on EA's slate.

BTW: I'm still green here, I read the Rules/Ranks but I still don't understand the "Space Point" thing.

BTW: I'm still green here, I read the Rules/Ranks but I still don't understand the "Space Point" thing.

That was just something we were doing for fun to build enthusiasm and and to foster better discussion on the boards here. Basically if you started an interesting thread or made a good point about a Wing Commander topic you would get a point and people could essentially compete for points. I'd have to ask LOAF but I think we finished that for now.

Ya know, hearing about being dads co pilot is awesome. I wish my father had that interest. My first ever computer game was wc2 with the addons. My second was underworld. I love em both but I have always loved wc2. I have played every computer version there is, and you know what Im 25 now . I see me at 45 still being a keyboard jockey if I can to play wingcommander. Today is the third month to they day since I burried my dad at his young age of 57 and having played wc2 on his first computer its really comforting to go back to those memories. I can wrench on my barracuda until I turn blue, as it now is a rolling tribute to the man but that one videogame... It just lets me remeber the better times in my life. I hope more younger gals and guys can look at the wing commander series and see how awesome that was for its day and how truly amazing it still is. When I get the money up I will buy a 360 just to hop onto the latest wing commander game. Nuff said.

At 45 my dad was no longer fast enough for wing commander. Introduced him to Saga, but he probably won't play it much.

I find it hard to say when Blair Died, Wing Commander died simply because for me, the Character was in the first 2 games was not Christopher Blair, it was me! The first 2 games we very successful without have a "named" character and I see no reason why the next WC game could not take the same approched.

Yeah, I was never really attached to Blair either, I remember when privateer came out my thought was "Yes, Finally I get to play someone different" And really Blair seems like a bit of a dick in WC II-IV, he's wallpaper by Prophecy.

for the longest time when i played WCIV, I thought the ending where he becomes an admiral was the 'good' ending.

Anyhow, the franchise is far from dumped, but I'm certain i don't want to see just another wing commander Blair saga. i wouldn't mind if it took place during the kilrathi war, but a new ship and new crew would be very nice.

I'd prefer it if they just continue out the story a bit, though.

Yeah, I was never really attached to Blair either, I remember when privateer came out my thought was "Yes, Finally I get to play someone different" And really Blair seems like a bit of a dick in WC II-IV, he's wallpaper by Prophecy.

I would love a new game to go back to the formula that WC 1 and 2 had, they could use "animate" cut scenes, Let the player chose his name and Use it in the game. I always though that was a nice touch, instead of being Alpha1, Red 2 or some computer assigned name, in WC I and 2 ( and most Origin Flight Sims Games of that time) they actually used the call sign and name you chose in the game.

Other Franchise went FMV and back successfully I wish there was someway to convince EA that a new WC game would not need FMV (as Loaf hinted that they are)

Hey Just noticed Deadman your probably the only person on this forum that lives near me. Kudos to fellow New York people!!!!

My introduction to WC was via the Kilrathi Saga- I wanted to play in order- and it auto-fills in Blair and Maverick, and in WC2, Christopher, by default. I had the longest time wondering what was with all this "bluehair" nonsense and argument over whether he was Maverick, because he was _quite clearly!_ meant to be Maverick when I played.

Me, I don't have a TON of attachment to Blair.... but when I play, that's who I am. Usually. (I think the real Blair would NOT have killed Knight so flippantly, if you recall a certain easier "spam" post.)

I'm an upstate hick Jason. ;) I live bout 50 miles from the Albany. Though I commute there almost every day because most of the stores I do work at are in that area.

16 year old, and not punk. WC was born shortly before I was, and my first memories are not on the playground, but being my dad's "co-pilot." I love this series for all it's worth and then some. I just wish there was a new space sim (WC) on EA's slate.

That's interesting, because even though we're ten years apart some of my early memories are the same -- being my father's co-pilot in "Space Vikings" for the Apple ][.

I'm an upstate hick Jason. I live bout 50 miles from the Albany. Though I commute there almost every day because most of the stores I do work at are in that area.

That's a lot of people in New York state. We should throw a little Wing Commander party the next time the CIC staff is in Valatie.

Back