Salutes and facial hair...

Steelflight

Spaceman
After going through WC3, WC4, and Prophacy here recently, I noticed a trend.

As a former military man, I picked up on something. In every breifing that Blair recieves....he always salutes when he is dismissed. Nice touch as far as the game goes, but the way that Blair salutes * winces *. The salutes just got worse in WC4. Catscratch's was almost dead on, but everyone elses...ugh.

And in Prophacy...* thinks of Casey's and just shudders *

And as far as the facial hair goes....Paladin AND Blair's in WC3 was WAY against regulations, as was Blair's goatee in Prophacy. But, I supose when you reach those high ranks...you end up writing your own rules for a few things. ( I certainly saw it in the Air Force )

Well, that's it. A little nit-pick. I know at the end of it all, it's just a game and not to be taken too seriously. I just wanted to throw a topic out there.

Originally posted by Steelflight

And as far as the facial hair goes....Paladin AND Blair's in WC3 was WAY against regulations, as was Blair's goatee in Prophacy. But, I supose when you reach those high ranks...you end up writing your own rules for a few things. ( I certainly saw it in the Air Force )

Well, that an the fact that in 3, everything was kinda in the shitter, so I somehow doubt that they'd be as "spit-and-polish" as during, say, 4.

Yes, the salutes were horrible, and Eisan with the stick!

As to the facial hair. Since Blair is Navy in WCP he can have a beard.

After going through WC3, WC4, and Prophacy here recently, I noticed a trend.

As a former military man, I picked up on something. In every breifing that Blair recieves....he always salutes when he is dismissed. Nice touch as far as the game goes, but the way that Blair salutes * winces *. The salutes just got worse in WC4. Catscratch's was almost dead on, but everyone elses...ugh.

And in Prophacy...* thinks of Casey's and just shudders *

Well, that's it. A little nit-pick. I know at the end of it all, it's just a game and not to be taken too seriously. I just wanted to throw a topic out there.

You *are* supposed to salute when dismissed right?

-Concordia

Re: Re: Salutes and facial hair...

Originally posted by Concordia

-Concordia

depends on the situation

Re: Re: Salutes and facial hair...

Originally posted by Concordia

-Concordia

I don't think his complaint is when he salutes so much as how he salutes. Most entertainment (movies, games, shows, etc) have relaxed salutes, so to speak. You'll notice they'll often throw their hand forward or some such. It's incorrect, but I don't see how it can detract from something that isn't a military training sim... :p

And as far as the facial hair goes....Paladin AND Blair's in WC3 was WAY against regulations, as was Blair's goatee in Prophacy. But, I supose when you reach those high ranks...you end up writing your own rules for a few things. ( I certainly saw it in the Air Force ).
You are assuming that the Confed Space Force is governed by the same regulations as the current US Air Force. There is no reason to make this assumption. Indeed, it's much easier and more sensible to make the reverse assumption - the presence of facial hair in WC is not a goof. Instead, it is evidence that Confed military regs do not forbid facial hair.

There is a BIIIIIIIIG war there if you havent noticed.They dont have time to keep the regulations.Look at German or Allied soldiers from the WW2.There are a lot of real pics.Are they shaved?Are their hair properly cut? ;)

Good Point Tiger'sClaw

I think Quarto may have a poing too, I mean WC is set int e 2600s, that 600 years from now.

Yah, I mean, are present-day militaries governed by the same internal regulations as militaries in the year 1400? I think not.

Oh, I don't think so either.

I was just really bored, and I wanted to see if anyone else noticed those things...

I'm actually surprised anyone replied. Thanks for your input everyone. :D It certainly made sense.

I've always been kind of curious what a 'proper' salute is like -- I've always seen people complain about how badly they're done in science fiction, so I'd really like to know what the "right" way to salute is. Can it be described?

*clears throat*

Raise the right hand along the front of the body, at the same time uncupping the hand. Raise the hand as close to the front of the body as possible without touching the chest. Bring the hand to the right eyebrow.
Fingers will extend and be joined; thumb will be along the side of the hand. ( Blair's was always near his palm ) The palm will be tilted slightly towards the face. The tip of the middle finger will touch either the eyebrow above the outside corner of the right eye ( if hat or glasses are not worn ), or the top outside corner of glasses if worn ( without hat ), or the front right corner of the hat brim or hat bill.
The forearm from fingertips to elbow will be a straight line. The upper arm from shoulder to elbow will be parallel to the ground slightly forward of the body. When the salute has been returned, the hand is automatically dropped downward tracing the same path along the front of the body.

Whew....

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I've always been kind of curious what a 'proper' salute is like -- I've always seen people complain about how badly they're done in science fiction, so I'd really like to know what the "right" way to salute is. Can it be described?

There's no "right" way per se. It's a bit different on every country. In Brazil, it's different from the US. Even the brits do it slightly differently, I think.

It must looks like you are protecting your eyes from the sun's refection on the helmet of your superior roman officer (generally a centurion).

Quite correct Delance. I believe the Belgian salute has the thumb pointing down. As to the British:

The hand takes the long way up, staying parralel to the side of the body, the hand is so that the fore finger is touching the eyebrow, the palm is is flat with the thumb in line with the forefinger. The palm of the hand is flat to the head, so that the Officer can see that the hand is clean. Thats the Army.

Navy, same, except the back of the hand is shown to hide the tar on the parm.

Air Force, don't know, probably same as Army

It is a military offence not to salute an Officer, as saluting is paying respect to HM Commision.

You only salute when you are wearing apropriate headress: Beret, Tamashanta etc, Bear Skin or Dress Cap.

YOU DO NOT SALUTE WHEN IN THE FIELD, WEARHING A CRAP HAT!

For very obvios reasons.

I am going to edit this to reflect the Marine Corps regs on saluting. Marines don't salute without covers.

*clears throat*

Raise the right hand along the front of the body, at the same time uncupping the hand. Raise the hand as close to the front of the body as possible without touching the chest.

Fingers will extend and be joined; thumb will be along the side of the hand. The palm will be flat and tilted slightly towards the face. The tip of the middle finger will touch or the front right corner of the cover brim or cover bill.

The forearm from fingertips to elbow will be a straight line. The upper arm from shoulder to elbow will be parallel to the ground slightly forward of the body. When the salute has been returned, the hand is automatically dropped downward tracing the same path along the front of the body.

Whew....

Much better this way.;)

Back