Saddam's trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quarto said:
Good - because that's exactly what it was meant to be. The truth comes in many forms, and sometimes in the form of demeaning generalisations.

Hmm, if you've convinced yourself this is the "truth" in a kind of Sinai moment.. is there really any point in my answering your queries with alternate argument? I respect your obvious intelligence, but I would argue that you are looking at religion as a static entity when religion, or at least how it is interpreted is constantly altering; what is "wrong" under the text of, for example Christianity, changes from century to century at least slightly. Maybe the commandments are a constant, but I did once see a revised version of the King James altered to "thou shalt not murder", when of course, the original is quite simply "thou shalt not kill". The argument that an athiest's viewpoints on right and wrong may change can also apply to religion, admittedly on a larger timescale, driven by social change, and thus, I do not see this as the end all of this discussion. Using the notion of God as something that does not alter is a very good way to try and quash the argument, but again, our notion of God has evolved from a giant black pig carrying the world (artistic license I thank you), to a vengeful Lightning wielder, to one omnipotent being who seems rather picky and oft misinterpreted. Arguing God as a constant does not do it for me.

I would also put forward that living by one's own moral code can be just as strong as one's devotion to a religion. An atheist can claim he will ALWAYS abide by what he thinks to be right, just as a religious person can claim they will ALWAYS abide to their religion. Meeting a cross-section of people in today's society.. one can say for sure that neither are infallible. Both, if "rational beings", will likely suffer tremendous guilt for their own respective reasons. Both sides have their extremists, whether it be a nihilist or a zealot, who both quite frankly lack any decent virtues.

I don't understand why you believe people HAVE to think that religion is the WHY behind all morals. Is this somehow suggesting people need to be motivated by fear or the greed of eternal life to dare have a "reason"?

I hope we can at least agree to disagree, but at least not behind the notion of "I know the truth"; I don't want to 'jack the thread with an ongoing religious argument.

I'm not really inclined to get into this whole thread, but you have the bit about the 7th (IIRC) Commandment backwards, SD. The original source is more accurately translated as "commit murder", but King James' translators made it "kill".

Well, I wasn't going to respond to this thread again today (it takes time and effort...), but as usual, I couldn't resist.

Sphynx said:
From what you are saying, since Iraq (under Saddam) signed treaties against genocide (as I recall, they were even on the UN security council and as such, were technically supposed to be a part of enforicing those treaties), that would be the most reasonable charge to be brought up against him since he could be charged with it in his own (or what was once his own) sovereignty.
Well, even this wouldn't be a valid charge - as I said earlier, the president of Iraq (like any president) is immune to prosecution. I suppose the Iraqi constitution probably included the possibility of lifting the president's immunity - but this constitution was overthrown by the United States, along with the rest of the regime. Effectively, this means that there is nobody out there that could legitimately lift Saddam Hussein's immunity - and since we produced this situation by overthrowing his government, the least we can do is accept the consequences of our actions.

So, I was wondering if you would be willing to share something else, Quarto. You have stated clearly and respectfully why you disagree with what is going on as far as the trial is concerned, and you have said a bit about what you think should happen instead. Perhaps you could tell us more about what you think should be done in this case?
I'll be happy to. In fact, I can give you a historical analogy.

Once upon a time - not too long ago, in fact - in a certain backwards country ruled by an ineffectual monarch, there was a certain young officer. Along came the revolution, which overthrew the monarchy, and established a republic. The young officer joined the republican forces. But the nation was divided - at least half of the population wanted to restore the kingdom. So, a counter-revolution ensued, turning into a civil war. The civil war turned into genocide - in the name of their republican values, the dictators of this so-called democracy were more than happy to slaughter entire villages and cities, women and children included, to restore order. They didn't have access to chemical weapons - it happens :p. But they came up with other, equally effective methods, for example to load hundreds of people into the hold of a ship, and then sink the ship. As our young officer rose in ranks, his participation in the quelling of the counter-revolution grew. He helped capture an important city (where, presumably, the population did not fare too well afterwards...), and soon afterwards helped restore order in the capital... by using the army, including artillery, to clear the streets of protesters. You can certainly be sure that quite a few people died.

Eventually, this young officer reached the pinnacle of power - he became a dictator. Soon after this, his country was at war again. In fact, his country was so frequently at war, that eventually a few of the neighbouring states got together and got him out of power.

Who was this young man, whose biography and list of crimes sounds disturbingly similar to Saddam Hussein? In the middle east, there had been several kingdoms ruled by ineffectual monarchs who were overthrown by the military. But I can't be talking about Qadaffi or Nasser - no international coalition bothered with them. So, who am I talking about?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about one of the most famous and respected generals in the history of mankind: the brilliantly genocidal Napoleon Bonaparte.

And there's my solution for you: the Americans have control of many, many islands in the Pacific. Any one of these islands is the perfect place to send him into exile. Once he is there, by the way, it would be America's responsibility not only to make sure that he doesn't escape, but also that he is well taken care of, and comfortable.

Yes, it might seem bizarre and twisted to suggest that we should care for a deposed dictator's comfort. But it is the right thing to do, and the traditional thing to do. He can't escape his punishment one way or another - and in the meantime, the least we can do is use him to encourage other dictators like Fidel Castro to step down of their own free will. Ultimately, this will help us avoid bloodshed - had Saddam Hussein had a guarantee that he'd be taken care of after leaving exile, it's probable that the American invasion (which would have taken place either way, according to US government officials) would not have involved a single shot.

Spirit's Dommo! said:
Hmm, if you've convinced yourself this is the "truth" in a kind of Sinai moment.. is there really any point in my answering your queries with alternate argument?
Well, in a way there indeed isn't because, you see, you've just proven my point. However, if you are willing to accept that the truth may not be on your side (see, that's the other side of the coin - you get offended when I say that what I wrote was the truth, but in doing so, you also imply that what you wrote is the truth. How is that different from what I'm doing?), then read on.

(and yeah, in some ways we are hijacking this thread - but the topic is vaguely related, and besides, Sphynx basically started this thread at my request, so I don't think he'll mind)

Religion and morality are based upon the concept that no matter what happens, some things are permanent. Good will always be good. Evil will always be evil. The truth will always be true. Murder will always be evil, et cetera. Different religions and moral systems vary in the details, but they all agree about this permanency. Atheists do not.

You mention that Christianity has changed - you couldn't be more wrong. Christianity has never changed. That's why we steadfastly refuse to recognise any of the modern-day stupidities ("oh, it's not murder if the child wasn't born", et cetera). The changes that you perceive are divided into two kinds:
- Organisational changes. It is true, for example, that once upon a time, Catholic priests were permitted to marry. This was later forbidden, and now there is once again talk within the Catholic Church about permitting this (though this is unlikely). Such changes, obviously, have nothing to do with morality. The Catholic Church's viewpoint is not that God forbids Catholic priests from marrying - it's simply a decision that the Church made as an organisation. At the time when this had happened, there had been many scandals involving married priests (who in some places had effectively established dynasties, passing on their position from father to son), and the Church decided that although there's nothing immoral about married priests, marriage brings with it certain temptations that they would prefer not to be subject to.
- Reinterpretations, misinterpretations, and corrections of misinterpretations of the canon. The kill/murder example you bring up is a case in point - except that your understanding is the exact opposite of the truth. It is the original that used the word "murder", and it is the King James Bible that misinterpreted this as "kill". The canon as such never changes - but occasionally someone makes a mistake like the one above, and it sometimes takes a few centuries before the mistake is actually corrected. However, such small issues are never a big deal - yes, some transations of the Ten Commandments (heck, most translations) include the erroneous "thou shalt not kill" form, but thanks to the rest of the canon, as well as the two thousand years' worth of Christian works on the subject, we all know that it is not immoral, for example, to kill someone as a lawful punishment, or in general to kill in defence.

Now, having addressed the permanency of religion, let's return to the topic at hand, which is the issue of whether atheists can have a moral system.

Firstly, I suppose I should point out that you haven't addressed my challenge - I asked you to come up with an argument as to why an atheist should consider murder to be wrong under any and all circumstances. There is a point to this - if you can't come up with such an argument, I fail to see why I should waste my time explaining something to you when you're incapable of proving your point. It seems that in this situation, I win by default. However, you might view this as a cheap and easy way of getting out of the argument simply by saying "ha ha, I win"... so I'll humour you, and explain my point of view further. My apologies if I bore you with the length of this argument.

What, I'd like to ask you, is the point of a system of moral standards? Why do we choose to live by such a system? I have pointed you to the only thing that comes to me when I try to think of an answer to this question - God (or Gods, spirits, et cetera, if we really must be all-inclusive). You misinterpret my answer - you get offended by the notion that people live by a moral system simply out of the fear of God's punishment, or because they want God's rewards. If you bothered to find out anything about Christian theology, you would know that this has never been the Christian way. Yes, Christian theology does acknowledge that doing things that displease God will result in punishment, and yes, it also acknowledges that doing things that please God (including showing regret for those things that displease him - God is much easier to please than displease :p ) will get you an eternal reward. However, that's entirely besides the point. The reasons why Christians follow their system of moral values is because they love God. If you have ever had a wife or a girlfriend that you love, you will immediately understand the point - you don't buy your wife flowers because you want to have sex with her (even though that, ultimately, is one of the rewards you get for doing things that please her). You buy her flowers simply because you love her and want to show your love to her - not to be rewarded, but just so she knows.

People change, though - today, your girlfriend might be happy if you buy her a box of chocolates. Tomorrow, she might be angry with you because she ate all the chocolates in one sitting and got constipated. So tomorrow, buying her chocolates will no longer be a good act, and you may indeed feel the need to do something else to apologise for what, just yesterday, had been a good act.

God does not change. What pleased him yesterday still pleases him today, and tomorrow, and in five hundred years' time. And this is the foundation of morality... if you want to express the concept of morality in one sentence, the best sentence to do so is St. Augustine's "Love God... and do as you please" - which simply means that as long as you love God, you can essentially do anything you like, because you won't like anything that God doesn't like. So, Christian morality is changeless, permanent. Indeed, we could argue that this is one of the tests of moral systems - if a moral system says that something is good today even though it was bad yesterday, then it's not a system worth following, because there's no guarantee that what you're doing today won't be considered a sin tomorrow.

...This leads us back to atheism, and the vital question - what permanent system of morality could possibly an atheist have? Morality, as I've tried to show above, is based on love. So an atheist may base his system of morality on love, too. But the very idea of atheism is to reject the existence of anything that doesn't physically exist - and everything that physically exists is subject to change. Therefore, the atheist cannot possibly come up with a permanent system of morality. And this is why atheists, though of course they'd sooner die than admit it, can only develop their moral systems by stealing moral values from religions like Christianity. But they're screwed - because separated from God, moral values cannot exist, and it takes no time whatsoever for them to be twisted beyond all recognition.

...And so we come to moral relativism. If you're an atheist, your system of moral values will be based on the things you love. You love your wife, so anything that pleases her is good, anything that doesn't is bad. You love your country, so you obey its laws, and so on. And then you're told that Saddam Hussein is a criminal, because he committed genocide.

"Well," you think, "sure, nobody here likes genocide. If I committed genocide, I'd be a criminal, so he must be a criminal too."
Only, then Saddam Hussein comes to the witness stand to defend himself.
"Why did you kill all those people," asks the judge.
"Because I love my country. I want to devote my life to making this country a better place. And these people, they were agents of our enemies, they wanted to spoil my efforts!"

And that's the stumper - you and Saddam Hussein follow the same moral guidelines (to love your country and do everything you can to improve it), and you've come to different conclusions. You may not have committed genocide... but then again, you're also not the ruler of Iraq. You can't prove that killing a few hundred thousand rebellious Kurds wasn't the right thing to do. You have no choice - you will either make a hypocrite of yourself (by acknowledging that some things are indeed constant), or you will have to conclude that Saddam Hussein is a really nice guy.

There is one final point I want to make. A true atheist, who's absolutely convinced of his faith (because, you know, atheism is a twisted form of religion - you can't actually prove that God doesn't exist, so you have to believe in it), who spends time thinking about what it means to be an atheist will quickly reach the following conclusion - in fifty years, I'll be dead. I can marry and have children, but they will only be a burden. Nothing will come of it, because by the time they start being useful, I'll be dead. And why should I try to improve my country? I can spend my entire life doing it... but then I'll be dead. And when I'm dead... I'm dead, nothing is of any value to me any more, because there's no afterlife. So... why do anything for the benefit of others? The only one I should care about is me. The only moral system I can have must revolve around me. If somebody tries to murder me, that's a sin. If I murder someone, it's a good thing.

And that's the end of the line - that's where atheism destroys society. Now, if you please, I encourage you to prove me wrong. But please, don't bother responding bit by bit to this post - that will lead us into a long argument that proves nothing. You can prove that you're right by doing one simple thing - as I said earlier, you just need to come up with an argument as to why an atheist should consider murder to be wrong under any and all circumstances. If you can convince me that there is something permanent, apart from God, that atheists can use to construct a permanent system of moral values, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. But if you cannot - then I want you to acknowledge that what I said about atheists, however demeaning to them it is, is indeed the truth.

...Whew. I think I'm done for today :).

The problem with your argument Quatro is that people who were so called Christians have throughout histroy commited many of the same crimes in the name of religion and supiriority as saddam has. (Maybe not the rape rooms since the church has always hated sex.) Anyway, doesn't this tell you that nothing assures a knowlege of right and wrong? Even your religion claims doesn't mean that making a the right call is any easier under the guise of righteousness. I would say Athiests are much easier to stomach and understand than a supposed moral person claiming to know god, because athiests have nothing to follow. "The truth" as you call it, is relative to the sect preaching it. God may never change, but the people who claim to worship him do. When they do, they start new churches and new rules and claim to know the absolute truth. How is this different from an Athiest changing his beliefs?

I know that you said that Churches never change the basic view, while that may be true. Churches have killed forcefully converted and so on, things that are considered wrong. You said how can Athiests consider murder wrong all the time? When do people of faith? What permanant system of morality does faith have? Isn't faith responsible for 3000 deaths on 9/11?

-Rance-

Quarto,

I have some comments about this. Well, this is the question about if it's legitimate to judge leaders and officials of nations who lost wars and whose government was overthrown, either by the victors or by the new government.

The argument as this goes as follows: there’s no legitimacy because the government was overthrown. The new laws passed doesn’t go back to when the actions were committed, and the laws existing when the actions were committed either exempt the accused from persecution or are simply not valid.

First let’s begin by taking a look at the nature of the laws in human society. There are basic two kinds that can be imposed onto others:

Natural Law
Positive Law

(Common Law, for the purpose of this matter, acts the same as positive law).

If you accept Natural Law, this is a no-brainer. It doesn’t matter what positive law was valid then or what is valid now, a crime is a crime. If they committed mass murder, they can be persecuted and condemned regardless, even despite of whatever positive laws might protect them.

Natural Law useful against strict positivism, since a government can pass a law permitting it to commit murder in the name of the state, and go one killing people claiming to the world that they are doing no crime. The world can’t intervienve because no crime is being committed, and, even if they do, they can persecute the perpetrators simply because the positive law at the time of their crimes allowed them to commit such actions.

This can cause insecurity. People might be committing a crime even if the current valid laws allow you them to do what they are doing. This is not, however, as serious as it seems, and the reasons are twofold. First, Natural Law can only be claimed against serious crime, as it’s the case of war crimes and crimes against humanity, like mass murder and genocide. Second, Natural Law is eternal and unchanging. Something like intentional murder without the mitigation of self-defense is almost universally considered wrong. Therefore such argument would not fall under normal citizens on normal peacetime, or would apply to anything that pretty much everyone should know is completely wrong.

Case in point: The Laws of a country either exempt the accused or are no longer valid. Current laws were created after the actions were committed. They don’t have legitimacy to works backwards. Therefore said individuals can’t be judged or convicted.

Actually, this argument is wrong regardless of your opinion on the validity of Natural Law.

If Natural Law is valid, then the criminals must be judged regardless of what laws were valid by the time the actions. Crimes against humanity are always crimes regardless of the validity of a law saying so. Even if there’s no law criminalizing the actions, or no valid law at the time of the events, the individuals can be judged.

Now take the Positive Law Uber Alles approach, from which Natural Law is invalid. Well, it so happens that the principle that Law cannot works backwards comes from the Natural Law. Under strict positivism, the Law only can’t be applied to an event that took place before it was promulgated if there’s another Law that says that. So all you need is a Law that says that it can in fact work backwards, and that principle is gone, because there’s no Natural Law to say the principle is valid regardless of a law saying it isn’t.

About Saddam’s trial:

The crimes he’s accused of are very serious in nature and violate natural law – no to mention universally accepted rights. Even if you disregard the declaration of Human Rights, weather Iraq signed it, or if it can be enforced, there’s a strong case against him.

If Natural Law is irrelevant, then all that it’s needed is a law from the current government saying it can judge Saddam. He can claim a Natural Law principle to protect him if he says it’s irrelevant.

Actually, what Saddam claims is that the current government has no legitimacy to pass such laws, or any laws, to begin with. It doesn’t matter that much which laws were valid at the time crimes were committed, but the fact that current laws aren’t. But since the current Iraq government is accepted by the international community and has a de fact and de jure control of Iraq, he is left without defense. The only way to break it is by preventing the trial from taking place, either by intimidation or direct action, or to try to overthrown the current government .

Quarto, I find your argument extremely interesting and well thought out, but I don't necessarily agree with you on all points...

I fail to see why you think having a relative morality, as an atheist must, is somehow translated into no morality at all. Refering to your girlfriend analogy;

People change, though - today, your girlfriend might be happy if you buy her a box of chocolates. Tomorrow, she might be angry with you because she ate all the chocolates in one sitting and got constipated. So tomorrow, buying her chocolates will no longer be a good act, and you may indeed feel the need to do something else to apologise for what, just yesterday, had been a good act.

You acknowledge yourself that even though the giving of chocolates is no longer a good act, it was yesterday, and is now, in effect, evil.

I find no support for any argument that says simply because good and evil are not constant, they don't exist.

vindicator said:
God may never change, but the people who claim to worship him do.

The Church never changes. The Church is not the same as the people in it.

vindicator said:
When they do, they start new churches and new rules and claim to know the absolute truth.

No they don't, they might leave the Church, but the Church is still there.

vindicator said:
You said how can Athiests consider murder wrong all the time? When do people of faith? What permanant system of morality does faith have?

That depends on what “faith” you are talking about. The only completely faithless position is agnosticism, therefore atheists do indeed have faith since they are actively denying God. People have all kinds of different faiths, so there’s no such a generic thing as “people of Faith”.

For example, Catholics can’t really change what they believe because to do so is to stop being a Catholic. To answer the specific question, Christianity has always considered murder wrong, because it’s one of the commandments. This has never changed since it began circa 33 AD. The “system of morality”, as you put it, is based on the Magisterium, the Scriptures and the Apostolic Tradition. That individual Catholics commit crimes goes without question, but they were never based on the foundations of the Church. To be a Catholic is to subscribe to all those things.

An atheist can say murder is right, there’s nothing preventing them to. It doesn’t go against the concept of being atheist to defend murder. Atheists don’t have a single, solid doctrine of centuries constructed around the notion that murder is wrong. They have no single doctrine at all. Some atheists like Camille Paglia and J. Michael Straczynski don’t hate religion. Because of that, are they less atheists than Gene Roddenberry and Richard Dawkins?

vindicator said:
Isn't faith responsible for 3000 deaths on 9/11?

Yes, as much as atheist faith in revolution and that religion is evil was responsible for more 100 million deaths in the XX century. Militant atheists murdered millions of Orthodox and Catholic Christians on Europe because they were Christians. Most of the time no one even hears about such crimes, like for example a 14 year Mexican old boy who was tortured and murdered because he refuse to abandon his Faith as ordered by a anti-Christian government.

Note that I'm not saying that *all* atheists are in line with those who commited such crimes. That would be to be commiting the fallacy of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization] Hasty Generalization [/URL].

That's the fallacy that you used back there. Not because some Christians commited some crimes in the past that all Christians are evil. That's ridiculous.

Some atheists commit crimes. Some atheists commit crimes in the name of atheism. That doesn't mean all atheists will necessarely do the same.

The same goes to Christians, Buddists, Hockey Players, Wing Commander forum posters, fans of The Beatles or any given group.

You misunderstand what I am arguing. Quatro seems to draw the conclusion that Religion is across the board moral and just and that athiests, because they believe most things are relative are incapable of making moral Descisions. My argument simply is neither brings across the board morality and to argue one is worse than the other is a matter of personal opinion.

-Rance-

Hehe, ok, one more post before I go to sleep (after all, who knows - given how these things go, the thread might be closed before I get up ;) ). Anyway, I'll respond to all three of you (Vindicator, Delance, Corsair), in order of posting.

vindicator said:
The problem with your argument Quatro is that people who were so called Christians have throughout histroy commited many of the same crimes in the name of religion and supiriority as saddam has.
For crying out loud, get real - does the fact that a significant percentage of American citizens have at some point committed theft mean that the US as a whole approves of theft? Or hey, let's try one closer to home. You never hide the fact that you're a homosexual, so I'm sure you won't mind if I use it to make an example. Tell me, how do you feel about the people who, based on the actions of a few homosexual pedophiles, argue that all homosexuals are pedophiles? Because that's how I feel when people like you tell me that Christianity is evil simply based on the fact that a few Christians have committed crimes.

...Except no, it is different. Homosexuality is not an ideology, so it can neither approve nor disapprove of pedophilia or any other crime. Christianity, on the other hand, is a full-blown system of morality, and it does disapprove of every single crime committed by its members, no matter if it's done in the name of religion or not. Which just makes your irrational accusations all the more pathetic and insulting. I'm a Christian, and I fail to see what gives you the right to blame me for the actions of people who have broken the moral code I am trying to live by. Especially since...

(Maybe not the rape rooms since the church has always hated sex.)
...Since comments like this demonstrate that you have no knowledge whatsoever about Christianity. The Church has always hated sex? Where do you people get such crazy ideas from? The Church considers sex to be a sacred (and highly enjoyable :D) duty. The only caveat is that it has to be conducted within the boundaries of marriage, for the purpose of procreation.

I mean, if I tell you that coca-cola tastes better when it's chilled and served with ice, and therefore you should not serve it any other way even if you only have space in your fridge for one bottle... does that mean I hate coca-cola? I daresay that providing advice on how to best enjoy it would mean the exact opposite.

(also, your silly comment sounds even sillier at this particular time, when people who share your views on religion, have spent the past few years railing about the sexual crimes committed by wayward members of the Catholic clergy :p )

"The truth" as you call it, is relative to the sect preaching it. God may never change, but the people who claim to worship him do. When they do, they start new churches and new rules and claim to know the absolute truth. How is this different from an Athiest changing his beliefs?
Oh, great, so now I, as a Catholic, have to take the blame for the actions of all the other branches of Christianity :rolleyes:. Still, this is the closest you've come to actually making a point that makes sense, so I'll spend a minute on it.

Yes, there are all sorts of splinter sects out there. Heck, you can even argue that Christianity is a splinter sect of Judaism. And yes, people do switch from one branch of Christianity to another, sometimes they switch from one religion to another. And yes - this is no different to an atheist changing his beliefs.

...The difference becomes apparent when you consider that each of those branches, regardless of whether it appeared yesterday or has been around since Jesus Christ, has a permanent system of moral values. No matter how many people flow into and out of a given religion, this system still exists. In fact, this system will still exist even if nobody follows that particular religion. On the other hand, there is no such thing as an atheist moral system that would exist even if there were no atheists around. An atheist's moral system exists inside him, and it changes every time he changes it - or rather, it is destroyed and created anew every time he feels like it.

(and please, don't waste my time with the usual "but if two religions have two different moral systems, how do I know which is true?" question - religion is about faith. I'm a Catholic, and what makes me a Catholic is the fact that I try to follow the Catholic moral values because I believe them to be right; and when I do something wrong, I don't try to excuse it by saying that this part of the Catholic moral system is incorrect - I am more than willing to admit that my sins are my own fault, caused either through a lack of willpower or through ignorance)

You said how can Athiests consider murder wrong all the time? When do people of faith? What permanant system of morality does faith have? Isn't faith responsible for 3000 deaths on 9/11?
No - Islam (please, don't use the generic "faith" term; that's about as descriptive as saying that "presidents" are responsible for genocide in Iraq) is not responsible for the 2000-something deaths on 9/11. People are responsible. People who, I might add, probably didn't have the faintest idea about Islam, because they violated some of its most basic tenets through their actions. And this is the difference between atheists and religious people. I'm am not a Muslim, but with even a scrap of knowledge about Islam, I can point out to Muslims that what those particular people did was wrong by their standards. If a Muslim disagrees with this, I can even point him to the places in the Qu'ran where God forbids the killing of civilians even in wartime. And had they been atheists? Well, I could hardly tell other atheists that what those guys did was wrong by atheist standards, because there's no such thing.

...But one more thing must be pointed out - I only included other religions in my previous comments because in this particular matter, all religions agree (meaning, you obviously won't find any religion that would dare suggest the atheists may be right). However, if it makes you feel better, I will add that I do not believe religions are all moral across the board - I believe in the Catholic system of moral values, and therefore I judge other religions and their followers based on how similar their moral values are to mine. But even when dealing with the member of a religion totally opposed to Catholicism... at least with such a person I would know where I stand and what I can expect from him, so we would have some common ground, so we would be able to come to some kind of understanding if necessary. With atheists? Not so much...

Ok, next. Delance...

Delance said:
I have some comments about this. Well, this is the question about if it's legitimate to judge leaders and officials of nations who lost wars and whose government was overthrown, either by the victors or by the new government.
I sort of agree with your basic comments, i.e., the suggestion that since law is something created by governments, then a government must by definition be incapable of violating the law. I have never argued against the fact that the post-war Iraq, together with America, have the ability to try Saddam Hussein, and that most lawyers will think this is acceptable. What I have argued is that this makes no sense - unless they reject the idea of sovereignty, they have no right to punish Saddam Hussein. And when you punish someone not because you have the right, but merely because you have the ability to do so - that's called revenge, not justice.

As for all that natural law/positive law talk, I have to admit it that a lot of what you said simply went over my head (or under my head - because I'm not sure whether I didn't understand it, or whether I understood it and it made no sense :p).

I mean, positive law is easy to define, but I can't for the life of me figure out what you mean by natural law. Does this mean the laws of nature? Or is it the laws of God? It's a very important question - going by the laws of nature, we'd have to conclude that what Saddam Hussein did is not a crime, because in nature, as Tolwyn said, "the strong shall survive" is the ultimate law.

On the other hand, going by the laws of God, we have to admit that Saddam Hussein committed a terrible crime... but I would have some doubts as to whether the laws of God - for example, Catholic theology - would permit us to actually punish him; Catholic theology allows us to punish people for crimes, but as I understand it (and it must be noted, I know comparatively little about Catholic theology), it leaves most of the details to positive law. For example, it specifies in what cases the death penalty can be used, but does not insist that it must be used. So in this case, we would have to give a priority to positive law - and positive law ends where sovereignty begins. So, unless there is a third definition of natural law that didn't occur to me, I don't see how natural law clarifies this issue.

Also, I feel obliged to keep pointing to the second half of my original post, because IMO, it was far more important than any legal wrangling - the question here isn't whether Iraq and America can or should punish Saddam Hussein. The question is whether they aren't in fact taking responsibility for more deaths by punishing him than they would if they simply exiled him. It's the exact opposite of the death penalty - the Catholic Church permits the death penalty not because it is right for humans to kill one another, but because the death penalty prevents humans from killing one another. And in this particular case, punishing Saddam Hussein (regardless of whether he'll be merely jailed or executed), I would argue, has the potential to cause more deaths than not punishing him would.

Last one, Corsair.

Corsair(pilot) said:
You acknowledge yourself that even though the giving of chocolates is no longer a good act, it was yesterday, and is now, in effect, evil.

I find no support for any argument that says simply because good and evil are not constant, they don't exist.
Strictly speaking, you are of course correct - just because a moral system changes every second doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, because it constantly changes, it is effectively useless. Allow me to think up another silly analogy...

If a clock is broken beyond all repair, and will never again show the time... does it still exist? Well, duh, of course it does. But nobody will actually treat it as a clock (i.e., nobody will use it to find out the time), because it doesn't have the functionality of a clock.

It's the same with atheist morality. The idea of a system of moral values is so that you have something to define whether what you're doing is right or wrong. So, if you change your definition of moral values to suit yourself... you still have a system of moral values, but what use is it, given that you've deprived it of the functionality of such a system? And this isn't just a matter of whether you do change the system or not - just the fact that you are able to change the system is enough to break it, because while I can look at your past history to work out whether you've ever changed your moral values or not, I cannot assume that your moral values won't change tomorrow. What's more, a system of moral values only makes sense if it applies to a group of people. But in the case of atheists, this is clearly impossible - they have no reason to judge each other by the same standards, and indeed they have every reason to not judge each other at all.

So yeah, every atheist has a system of moral values. But it's completely broken, and therefore cannot really be treated as a system of moral values.

Ok, now I'm going to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back