Running the remake on a laptop?

Feryar

Spaceman
Hi,

Are there any known issues with doing this?
I'm having problems getting it to work, and was wondering if this could be related to me having a 'widescreen'. (My desktop is 1680x1050, but this has not caused any problems with any other game I can think of).
When I start the game, I get the screen where in the original Privateer I would choose new/load/etc from the menu at the bottom, but there is no menu present in the remake. After loading lots of stuff, the last name to appear in the lower left corner of the screen is thrust00018.png or something like that.
At this stage my system locks off, and I need to physically turn the laptop off to get anywhere.

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 8600
Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz
Radeon Mobililty 9600 Pro Turbo (with latest drivers)

I tried some searching, but my searchskills seems to be lacking.

edit: Oh yeah, and it works in windowed mode.

I run the Remake on a Fujitsu-Siemens E-Series Lifebook with a 1.4GHz Centrino and an Intel Extreme Graphics II chip (shared memory, running at 1024x768, high color, 60Hz) - no problems so far. Maybe it doesn't like your widescreen setup.

The PrivR setup I use for best results on my machine:

512 MB RAM
Display Lists
Very High Detail
800x600
32bit Color Fullscreen
Sharp Filtered Bases
Specular Lighting

I had the same problem (Windows 98 , ATI Radeon 9600SE 128 MB, Celeron) and the quick fix was to run it in windowed mode by running the setup.exe. I also had to ALT-TAB to go back to the desktop and return to the game in order to run it in fullscreen mode to work around the apparent freeze (it doesn't actually freeze, the game is still running, you just can't see the game screen -- you can see this when you ALT-TAB). Eventually, running the game in fullscreen mode at a lower resolution than the desktop is set at (e.g. full screen at 1024x768 if the desktop is 1280 x 1024) solved my problem.

you can also edit vegastrike.config and change the resolution to be exactly what your screen is (instead of the preselected defaults)
if you're confused about XML just change all locations of
var="x_resolution" value="600"
var="y_resolution" value="800"
sort of things to 1680x10xx
but I suggest trying out windowed mode first... and reading some other suggestions like properly configuring firewalls

I'm not exactly sure if it's the firewall or the video card's drivers(the most likely suspect, card's bios is non-flashable) that caused this, but the problem persisted in the Windows 98 system even though it didn't have a firewall installed and I couldn't run it fullscreen(okay in windowed mode) unless it was at a lower resolution than the desktop.

Back