Remembering a Reliable Wingman (May 4, 2010)

True, I am still puzzled by how much Shadow's death angered me when you take into account that her role is rather limited and her death was obvious once she told you about her retirement. Guess it's because she was nice to you.

I think, after WC1, her death was a lot less predictable than it seems in retrospect. Anyone who'd played WC1 beforehand would be used to characters getting killed only when he let them die - plus, he'd remember Paladin spending half the game talking about his upcoming retirement, and ultimately not getting killed.

Then there's the fact that this was the very first time ever that we actually saw a mid-flight cutscene in one of these games. Takeoffs and landings, briefings and debriefings, we'd seen that before - but the game wrenching control away in the middle of the mission? That was pretty shocking, and somehow, instead of taking away from the scene, it made it stronger. Had the game just tried to make you feel sad, it would fail - but seeing your character get mad about it worked perfectly. There you were, upset that the game designers killed a character and didn't let you do anything about it - and there was Blair, upset that Tolwyn let Shadow get killed. Those emotions worked together to boost the scene's impact.

...And finally, we were all much younger back then, and it was a different time :). We were much more willing to be impressed, especially since at this point, new games really blew us away, not with three more polys per character, but with completely new methods of storytelling.

WC2 was my very first WC game and this scene early on, I remember very well indeed. I had no idea what was going on when I suddenly lost control and was sent to the cut-scene of Shadow's fate, but yeah, it was quite a big deal even if I wasn't entirely sure of what was going on.

I think, after WC1, her death was a lot less predictable than it seems in retrospect. Anyone who'd played WC1 beforehand would be used to characters getting killed only when he let them die - plus, he'd remember Paladin spending half the game talking about his upcoming retirement, and ultimately not getting killed.

Then there's the fact that this was the very first time ever that we actually saw a mid-flight cutscene in one of these games. Takeoffs and landings, briefings and debriefings, we'd seen that before - but the game wrenching control away in the middle of the mission? That was pretty shocking, and somehow, instead of taking away from the scene, it made it stronger. Had the game just tried to make you feel sad, it would fail - but seeing your character get mad about it worked perfectly. There you were, upset that the game designers killed a character and didn't let you do anything about it - and there was Blair, upset that Tolwyn let Shadow get killed. Those emotions worked together to boost the scene's impact.

...And finally, we were all much younger back then, and it was a different time :). We were much more willing to be impressed, especially since at this point, new games really blew us away, not with three more polys per character, but with completely new methods of storytelling.

Very, very true. The only problem I ever had with it was that you could not save shadow.

I just played through WC2, and I think losing wingmen in that game hurt more than in any others.

Shadow-already talked about

Spirit-Her whole story in this game is depressing! Probably the most depressing thing in all of Wing Commander

Downtown-You don't fly with him or know him well, but Hobbes' talking about him pulls at your heart strings.

Oh, the deaths in Wing Commander II. You know, I was upset when Bossman got shot down during Secret Missions 2, but each new death in WC2 brought more emotion out of me than the previous one. I remember the late night gaming sessions with my friend. We each drank a Mountain Dew in Shadow's/Spirit's honor during the breaks from the game we'd take to stretch our legs.

i found this old thread and wanted to talk about other "wingmen"

i have played Wing Commander III a few times, and each time, i lose most of my "wingmen"..hey, i know its a war..but i just read the script! and found out that they all except for Cobra can live!

we know about Maniac and Vagabond...however Vaquero and Flash...for me they die...Flint too...
interesting in the script, they get flagged...meaning they can die...i always thought they were supposed too..
now the novels definately has Flint going up in flames, and explaines seeing Vagabond and Manic ejecting...but what about Flash...

now the novels definately has Flint going up in flames, and explaines seeing Vagabond and Manic ejecting...but what about Flash...

The novel kills Flash even earlier, in the Ariel series.

ok, i was going to review the book again tonight, however how about the games..the script has him able to survive...yet each time i play WC3 he blows up right infront of me..even when i do my best to save him...

ok fair enough, however remember that if you lose or dont challange him, he leaves the Victory...hence he lives or dies during another battle...i gues that is my real qustion regarding him.
Since you mentioned that he dies early on in the novel, he obviously doesnt need mentioning again in the other books (WC IV and False Colors, Action Stations is set pre-Kilrathi war)

thanks

ok fair enough, however remember that if you lose or dont challange him, he leaves the Victory...hence he lives or dies during another battle...i gues that is my real qustion regarding him.

I don't understand what you're trying to say there. What exactly is your question? Flash can survive for the whole entire game aboard the Victory. Per the novel he dies in Ariel.

Chris, I apologize you basically answered my question in one sentence...
i was asking what became of Flash...i couldnt find addictional info.. i knew he dies in the novel..and i also knew he can leave the Victory alive and i also knew he can die fighting alongside you..as was my experience playing Wing Commander III. agian sorry for any confusion.

Back