Quadrant / Sector designation

Originally posted by NoRemorse
I agree with you Sonntag, my neighbour...

So, is there a difference after all ??

No I think that Terran, Earthling, Erdling, Jordmand will be the same... but all non English countries will refuse to call themselves Earthling

Just a note...

Terra, Sol, and Luna, are the terms scientists use for are planet, sun, and moon. They refer to our solar system, as the Sol system.

It's scientific naming convention. Give everything latin names.

[Edited by Valiento on 05-06-2001 at 13:58]

Re: Just a note...

Originally posted by Valiento
Terra, Sol, and Luna, are the terms scientists use for are planet, sun, and moon. They refer to are solar system, as the Sol system.

It's scientific naming convention. Give everything latin names.

That sounds reasonable, but what do designations like "NGC something or something else" mean (I think these terms are used for distant star systems or galaxies)

It is like the Messier catalogue,the M is for an object, like M-1 (i think is the Andromeda galaxy )

I don't know how this stuff is done in reality, but in WC, those really big quadrants also exist :). If you look at the WCP Universe map, you will see that the galaxy is divided into four quadrants, which are then divided into sectors, which are then divided into another lot of quadrants.

In reality, the galaxy is divided into quadrants (heck, practically anything can be divided into quadrants), but not WC-like sectors. WC groups locations by jump lines and not by actual distance, so it's not an accurate representation of the physical makeup of the galaxy.

NGC stands for New Galactic Catalog or New General Catalog, which is a listing of all the different stars and such... the Messier numbers are, IIRC, just for 110-or-so especially bright obejcts in the sky, so you won't generally find them on a WC star-chart...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

NGC stands for New Galactic Catalog or New General Catalog, which is a listing of all the different stars and such... the Messier numbers are, IIRC, just for 110-or-so especially bright obejcts in the sky, so you won't generally find them on a WC star-chart...

You are right LOAF.

Originally posted by Sonntag
Well the advantage with sol, terra and luna is that these words are latin terms, a language that is extinct by now, so it is neutral to use, compared to Earth and Sun which are English words and thus not acceptable for use in official inter-space terms (this actually leads to a deeper discussion which can not be discussed yet, as we don't have reached other star systems yet and the question therefore isn't important yet) [/B]

Latin is NOT a dead language. In order to be a dead language it must not be used as the offical primary language of a country and Latin is the offical primary language of the Vatican so it is not a dead language.

Originally posted by Napoleon
Latin is NOT a dead language. In order to be a dead language it must not be used as the offical primary language of a country and Latin is the offical primary language of the Vatican so it is not a dead language.
Oh, that's a technicality and you know it. I mean, how many people are there in Vatican? :)

Actually, N, The Vadican's offical language as of a few years ago is English. That's why all Catholic churches speak that now and any Latin churches are excommunicated. I know, since we have one down the road from me.

I´m sory, but Latin is the the official language of Vatican City and of the Roman Catholic Church. How the hell could it be english ???

English is *not* the official language of the Vatican. LeHah's story makes seven flavors of no sense.

Originally posted by Napoleon
Latin is NOT a dead language. In order to be a dead language it must not be used as the offical primary language of a country and Latin is the offical primary language of the Vatican so it is not a dead language. [/B]

Well even though that is right, Latin is not spoken in Vatican, people are speaking Italian and only writing in Latin.

My claim that Latin is a "dead" language means that it is not spoken anymore, and it is actually unknown how to pronounce its words correctly.

I think you're grasping at straws here, Sonntag. What you meant is not what you said :)

Originally posted by Sonntag
When playing Wing Commander, you see that a quadrant is smaller than a sector, a sector thus including four quadrants. In Star Trek, the milky way is divided into four quadrants, which include several sectors.

Does anybody know how the milky way is classified in reality, do quadrants and sectors exist, and if so, which are bigger areas?

You know....I was looking at the WCP map and I noticed thier was a system called "Wolf 359". Now, if you know your Star Trek, There is also a system called Wolf 359 and that was where the Borg attacked. I just thought that was kind of neat. Maybe not though.

Back