Pulling Rank

climber

Spaceman
Just a quick question for you guys. Is it possible, by playing through all the secret missions and all, to become a full colonel in WC1. I hope it is cos I am working really hard.

Also, I was playing around in the mission where you have to bring back the dralthi and you are in the scimitar. I went to Nav1, then 3 then back to 1 and found 2 fralthi and some jalthi. Amazingly good fun. Anyone else know of any other missions where there are many capital ships to be found?

In answer to your first question yes, you can make full colonel, have to fly near perfect missions IIRC to do it though. And, IIRC Halcyon makes a big deal about it saying that since you made colonel he will retire, or something like that.

Just a quick question for you guys. Is it possible, by playing through all the secret missions and all, to become a full colonel in WC1. I hope it is cos I am working really hard.

No, it's impossible to reach a rank higher than Lt. Col. in the original Wing Commander (plus addons) through any sort of action. At the end of Secret Missions 2 Halcyon mentions that you're going to be promoted to replace him, which is a plot point that occurs regardless of any action you've taken. You never get a Colonel's rank insignia or a promotion ceremony.

Also, I was playing around in the mission where you have to bring back the dralthi and you are in the scimitar. I went to Nav1, then 3 then back to 1 and found 2 fralthi and some jalthi. Amazingly good fun. Anyone else know of any other missions where there are many capital ships to be found?

That's the only one - they're there because Halcyon specifically tells you to avoid returning to the first nav point during the briefing (otherwise no one would ever bother to go check...).

Halcyon isn't dead... in Wing Commander 1. He's killed when the Tiger's Claw is destroyed (in 2656).

Speaking of WC1, I finally succeeded at the protect the Ralari mission. If that's not awesome enough, I did it twice in a row because I forgot to save.

It seems like the trick is to not autopilot to the Ralari. I got bit longer to pound on the Grathas as they were steaming in towards the Ralari. At least it felt that way.

I'd be glad to try anything to complete that one...ugh.

Every time I drop out of autopilot, I afterburn like crazy to the Ralari...and it gets destroyed before I'm even in gun range.

Bandit LOAF said:
That's the only one - they're there because Halcyon specifically tells you to avoid returning to the first nav point during the briefing (otherwise no one would ever bother to go check...).

And did you aquire that information by checking every single nav point after completing a mission?

I know you're just trying to be a smartass, but yes, sort of -- I had the same question years ago, so I looked through the game WC1 and 2 missions with a hex editor to try and find "hidden" enemy ships.

I finally did that mission. I went to nav 1 then 3 then 1 again and then got the dralthi and you know what, I didn't even get any kudos for it or even get into trouble.

I love that mission in SM2 with the fralthi and the jalthi. I remember doing it with dead wingman and one laser missing. It took a while but I pounded it good and proper. Happy days. I have to say that WC1 give the most satisfaction for completing the missions and kicking the bum off the bad guys. I also have to say that my most prefered bad guy is a dralthi, nice and fun to kill. I think that Gratha is harder than Jalthi cos the seem tougher and better shots that the Jalthi dudes.

Grathas were the best overall fighters the cats had in Wing I, no doubt.Two Mass Drivers and two Lasers will toast you nicely any day of the week.

I agree with that loaf old mate. Hhriss were not very nice to play with. I never managed to kill all the ships in that one where you fly the dralthi to the 2 snakeir. I tried so hard but the Hhriss on the way always had my ass toasted before I could do a lot.

Saying that though I will have to change my mind and go with the captured Rapiers and the Gwenhavyr. That was not much fun and Spirit is a very very poor wingman

Well, actually, it can be quite fun to use the nav comp. Even without a nav point, you can bypasse the two strakhas on the asteroid field on the last mission of WC2, for example.

For some reason I only suck against the Hhriss when I fly the Rapier. I even score better in the Hornet?!

I have little experience against the Hriss, but the Gratha is powerfull.
first time I played WC, back when it was new, i got myself deep into the losing path, i think I went to the third series in a hornet... anyway, there's a mission where you have to protect the claw in a hornet against 4 or 6 grathas. It is REALLY HARD.

"With your carrier destroyed, you drift endlessly in the void..."

Back