Prophecy and Secret Ops in XP (was: WCP video question)

I decided to insert disk 4 and attempt to install Secret Ops, but it ended with a window saying "This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
So I guess disk 3 is ruined perhaps due to the scotch tape issue. I might guess I'd need to find something called glide2x.dll and install it, or else it was in one of the earlier CDs that didn't get installed.

Much easier! Just set Win9x compatibility for the installer and all game executables and they should work fine.

So I could use regular Wing Commander Prophecy's disk 3 in place of Prophecy Gold's disk 3 in installation and during gameplay? They have the same files and wouldn't conflict with each other?

Should work, yes.

So I could use regular Wing Commander Prophecy's disk 3 in place of Prophecy Gold's disk 3 in installation and during gameplay? They have the same files and wouldn't conflict with each other?

My brother is communicating with her, I'll propose that to him if it would be a possible substitute.

Yes, they will work fine. I actually had to do something similar a few weeks ago. My WCP exe kept crashing with a weird error when I was trying to go to disc 3. Before I tried reinstalling the game I tried using both of my WCP disc 3's, so they are interchangeable.

She has agreed to send a partial refund for the amount to purchase regular Wing Commander Prophecy. (I hope you guys are right about both disk 3's being interchangeable!). I'll probably remember to report the results here after I get the refund and regular Prophecy arrives. Thanks AD, Dundradal, and cff!

She has agreed to send a partial refund for the amount to purchase regular Wing Commander Prophecy. (I hope you guys are right about both disk 3's being interchangeable!). I'll probably remember to report the results here after I get the refund and regular Prophecy arrives. Thanks AD, Dundradal, and cff!

I tested it for you. Reinstalled WCP using the Gold discs 1 and 2 and the normal WCP disc 3 and it worked fine.

You are cleared for launch.

Problem with error msg

I had the same problem as all of you did. I am using w98 mode and removed the accelerate in dxdiag and after using the video fix and audio fix I had found on your site. Every thing worked fine till I am on the 3rd disk and I am going out to defend the carrier and the screen jumps to your carrier was destroyed. It doesn't matter how many times I try, it still happens. Is there a fix for this?

Error msg

Never mind about my previous message. I forgot to run the simulator on level 6 or 7 to fix this problem. I back up and running again.

Prophecy movies are Fast

Hello,
I'm using Windows Vista and a SATA HDD. I've tried switching to the Windows 98 compatibility. I was going to try to switch the Audio Acceleration that was mentioned in this thread but I can't figure out how to find that option. I can't even find the Direct X settings. I"ve tried the Properties on the Desktop, but it's not there. The Direct X folder in Programs is empty. Is it someplace else? Can someone tell me how to slow down the movies?

Hello,
I'm using Windows Vista and a SATA HDD. I've tried switching to the Windows 98 compatibility. I was going to try to switch the Audio Acceleration that was mentioned in this thread but I can't figure out how to find that option. I can't even find the Direct X settings. I"ve tried the Properties on the Desktop, but it's not there. The Direct X folder in Programs is empty. Is it someplace else? Can someone tell me how to slow down the movies?

The solution is fairly simple actually. You can go to the CIC's files section and download the video skip patch and that should fix it. Alternately, you can download the Prophecy Enhancement pack which includes this same fix. You will still want to use the compatability mode though.

so far, so good. The patch did the trick! Thanks for the help!

Error message

Hi guys,

I did - I suppose - everything that was recommended in here, except on the HCI enhancement package (WCI High res patch) or whatever, when I click install.exe, I get an error, "Error opening patch/data.tre." And I'm like, what the hell? Because I installed the patch and the movies and I set my audio hardware accelerator to zero, and I set the compatibility to win 95. Now, what I get is like really good sound but I can't see the movies. Like I get a completely black screen and I'm hearing the sound of the opening movie but I can't see anything. I can only see that star logo in the beginning and the dolby surround thing logo but the opening scene and the regular cutscenes are all black WITH sound though. What is going on? Please help -I'm a huge fan of Wing Commander. Funny thing is, years ago I had an old, crappy windows 98 hewlett packard desktop that played wc perfectly and currently I have this $5k gaming system here with a 1gig nvidia card and I can't play the game! Please advise...

Hi guys,

I did - I suppose - everything that was recommended in here, except on the HCI enhancement package (WCI High res patch) or whatever, when I click install.exe, I get an error, "Error opening patch/data.tre." And I'm like, what the hell? Because I installed the patch and the movies and I set my audio hardware accelerator to zero, and I set the compatibility to win 95. Now, what I get is like really good sound but I can't see the movies. Like I get a completely black screen and I'm hearing the sound of the opening movie but I can't see anything. I can only see that star logo in the beginning and the dolby surround thing logo but the opening scene and the regular cutscenes are all black WITH sound though. What is going on? Please help -I'm a huge fan of Wing Commander. Funny thing is, years ago I had an old, crappy windows 98 hewlett packard desktop that played wc perfectly and currently I have this $5k gaming system here with a 1gig nvidia card and I can't play the game! Please advise...

The highres patch requires you to copy specific tre files to the PATCH directory withinin your prophecy install directory. Just follow the instructions included with the patch. There's a readme file in the Patch subfolder that tells you which ones you need.

(data.tre - cd1; gf.tre - cd1; gf2.tre - cd2; gf3.tre - cd3)

Is there a trick to play the prophecy dvd vids in the game in full screen? I am using HCL High res pack ( 1024*768), the movies however seem to remain in 800*600 or something like that, so not fullscreen.

thanx :)

Is there a trick to play the prophecy dvd vids in the game in full screen? I am using HCL High res pack ( 1024*768), the movies however seem to remain in 800*600 or something like that, so not fullscreen.

thanx :)

Are you playing on a widescreen monitor?

Well, DVD resolution is only about 720x480. So it sounds like the DVD software on your PC is not resizing things right. I assume you do know that black bars at the top and bottom are normal right? There might be a setting somewhere that is forcing your PC to not resize the movies full screen.

I rather think, that this problem is linked to the high res pack. I am playing prophecy in 1024*768. even the simulator screen is not in fullscreen

besides, WC4 DVD runs in full screen

ok, my mistake. the dll file was missing in order to play the vob files.

that wasn't dvd quality all the time, I was watching at...

however the movies are shivering ( like the ones in WC4 DVD) I had. any solution for that? :(

ok, my mistake. the dll file was missing in order to play the vob files.

that wasn't dvd quality all the time, I was watching at...

however the movies are shivering ( like the ones in WC4 DVD) I had. any solution for that? :(

Shivering how? Can you describe exactly what's happening? Is it vibrating slightly up and down? Do you have your hardware set to automatically try and deinterlace DVD video? I suggest turning it off or at least try and reverse the interpolation.

the vids are slightly vibrating up and down, exactly.

I went for the hardware accleration of my nvidia gt 8800 and lowered it, until direct 3d support, direct draw and cursoraccleration is deactivated.

the vids are not shivering with this option, but I dont know if the game will run stable with this solution..

Back