Problems with WC4 DVD? - after patches applied

firefox91

Spaceman
I posted in another thread that I encountered a problem with the WC4 DVD. This is not the normal problems encountered just getting the game to run smoothly. I applied the patch to play the game without the decoder board and it works perfectly.

Where I run into a problem is near the end of the game. I get to the Ella system, complete either mission (Flashpak starbase or run past starbase) and then the movie goes to play and the screen is blank. That is is it, game locked up. I tried all sorts of things to get past this point but nothing worked. I even copied my save game over to the CD version, beat the Ella mission, saved and copied it back the DVD version. Whenever it hits a video, it reports "object not found" and drops out. Seems like the disc is bad in just end of the game area, the rest is fine.

I am thinking there is a defect on the disc but I am not 100% sure. I can actually copy all the files down to my hard drive without an error. (An indication that the disc is not bad.) I cannot see any physical damage to it anywhere. Since I own the disc, I may get a friend to copy it with his DVD burner and see if it plays from those discs.

Ultimately my question is to anyone that has beaten the WC4 DVD version. Once it was running good, did you have any problems like this?

Have you tried yet to watch the movie manually under Windows? I mean the one, which doesn't play when crashing? Maybe that movie is corrupt itself. But honestly I can't tell for sure, cause I haven't played through wcIV dvd yet...

I'm sorry for ignoring you a bit...but I really don' t have a solution :D. The problem is I didn't code enough error messages. Since the game was obviously designed w/o my patch I don't check if the video files are there and readable. I just assume the game gives me correct file names. Similar thing with Direct Show - it was only in the last few versions I bothered to check if DS is really working or not. Not the best way to do, but much easier since it doesn't involve checking for everything :D. It's possible there is some bug in the game at that point (I haven't played through...perhaps if you send me a save file just before the failing point I could check if it works for me?), it's possible I missed something...but it seems my patch works for most people :cool:

Oh the patch without a doubt works. Flawlessly actually. I can go back and play other missions without a problem, the system just stops on this one.

I did not realize until recently that I could play the videos straight from the DVD. A friend showed me this recently so I am going to try that to see if it is a video/media problem. I also have a copy of the DVD now to test the theory that my disc is bad. When I get the chance, I will test all this. Thanks for the input.

dvd video issue after ella mission

I have got the same issue: patch works perfectly, but after Ella mission blank screen and game lockup.
I tried to play the single video with PowerDVD and the videos are just fine. So no corrupted files.
Now how do I solve this? Will I ever make it to the Sol system?

i have the same problem, only for me its much too early.. happens after u fight maniac right at the start and seether blows up that confed base u were s'posed to go to, and then blanks when its sposed to switch to FMV, yup ! thats right ! i'm talking 2-3 minutes of game time !!

hrmmm...

I think that virtually every dvd movie player, such as PowerDVD or WinDVD is able to open these files.
Just open your dvd player and browse the wc4 dvd for the "vob" directory. Inside, there are all the game's videos in .vob format.

btw, DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEM?

flash_pak said:
I have got the same issue: patch works perfectly, but after Ella mission blank screen and game lockup.
I tried to play the single video with PowerDVD and the videos are just fine. So no corrupted files.
Now how do I solve this? Will I ever make it to the Sol system?

I'm glad that I am not the only one with this problem. Maybe it will make a solution come about faster. Will you ever get to Sol? Not right now. Believe me, I have tried everything. The only thing I could do it move my save game to the CD version and continue on to the end.

So, the only thing we can do is wait, and prey that Saint Gulikoza take out a rabbit out of his hat...

hmm...I found some very old savegames. I played through the Ella mission, flashed the starbase got back to the Intrepid, jumped to that new system where the Intrepid is attacked by Vesuvius. All the movies played ok...

did you try by NOT flashing the starbase?
i succesfully complete the mission, land and then nothing. black screen and pc halted. this is very strange...

what should I do then?
surrender?
any clue of what may be going on on our pc's?

What DVD player you people have installed? just in case...
Could the debug version help?

I got stuck in the first jumping to... screen and when I pressed esc it bypassed the scene and the game proceeded, videos playing and everything.

I have PowerDVD installed on my PC but it worked fine since now.

I also have Power DVD. Hmmmm.... should I try a different DVD player program? If so, does anyone have recommendations for a free program?

Well...i'm still a bit hungover from yesterday but I did manage to produce a new version :D. I'm eager to hear results...

i used the ac3 stuff on his site with no player b4.. unistalled powerdvd, and now using windvd.. still no dice.. hrmm

gulikoza said:
Well...i'm still a bit hungover from yesterday but I did manage to produce a new version :D. I'm eager to hear results...

ermm, where is it? u better not be teasing me !!!

:mad:

:confused: where is it? gimme gimme !!!! :(

Back