Problems with Norton

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
Ok, I'm stumped.

So we had Norton Antivirus 2001 for a while and we decided to update to 2004. Cool. We followed the proceedures, uninstalled, installed, blah blah blah. Followed it by the book.

After putting in the product key, I noticed that LiveUpdate wasn't updating our virus definitions - I'm suppose to get a year of free definitions with the purchase of 2004. Strange - why would it do that? So I look up Norton's status and it apparently is saying that 2004 is running with 2001's OEM (aka subscription) code.

Um, ok... I decide to go the usual route: Uninstall and reinstall until the damned thing works. Go to Add/Remove Programs - and then it tells me "A previous install/uninstall was never finished and needs to be before this program is removed. Please reboot and try again."

Needless to say, it says that every frickin time now.

So - no LiveUpdate, no way to uninstall and I'm out of ideas. Symantic never returned my emails either.

Anyone?

UPDATE

After attempting to uninstall the program via more complicated means - and thusly fucking up and then fixing it again via even more complicated means - I've managed to get Norton 2004 uninstalled - but the same error pops up when I try to install it now. Thoughts?

Are you using Win XP? Any chance that system restore can help you? It's a long shot, but who knows...

Short of a complete reinstall of the OS, that's the only solution I can think of right now.

God help me I'M ON WINDOWS ME.

(The people I live with refuse to update)

Well, they might be updating now. I had this problem with my mother's brand new Dell system. It came with a version of Norton but I had a better one. I decided to "upgrade" which pretty much did everything you just described. I ended up formatting and reinstalling everything because I could just not get the error messages to go away. Being on WinME (the worst OS the world has ever known) certainly doesn't help you.

Bad news for you: I once had a similar problem with switching from Norton 2000 to 2002. The problem is, the uninstaller didn't uninstall all files. So I thought, the only way would be uninstalling it manually (+ in registry) and guess what? The whole system was down - Norton giving a boot error at start up (???) and not letting the OS boot. I had to reformat the whole PC. And as you might guess, after that, I never touched Norton anymore (especially not the uninstall function, cause it seems to not really work) - but my father did, so we still ahve PCs using that one...
I could tell you even more stories I experienced with Norton 2002, like norton stopping the system if I installed another Virus scanner, telling me that's a virus.

So my only guess to solve it would be reformat, I'm sorry :( Hopefully some others figured out another fix...

I got a plan. Try checking the website, they usually release the updates for Norton as a download as well (Best of all you can use this feature even AFTER your subscription expires). Yes, it's not liveupdate. But hey, is it any harder then remember to download and install updates weekly?

Back