problems installing under linux

kilolima

Spaceman
Hi,

Want to get this running under linux so I can stop booting windows... After I run the installer, I cd into the privateer directory, and then what? none of the sh files are executable, if I try to chmod +x vegastrike.sh and then run it, nothing happens, no errors, no output, nada. There were no errors during the install process, just something about not finding a few xml files in /tmp (that other people have reported with no problems).

This is on fedora core 2, KDE 3.3.1, NVIDIA TNT2.

Thanks,

Kilolima

kilolima said:
Hi,

Want to get this running under linux so I can stop booting windows... After I run the installer, I cd into the privateer directory, and then what? none of the sh files are executable, if I try to chmod +x vegastrike.sh and then run it, nothing happens, no errors, no output, nada. There were no errors during the install process, just something about not finding a few xml files in /tmp (that other people have reported with no problems).

This is on fedora core 2, KDE 3.3.1, NVIDIA TNT2.

Thanks,

Kilolima

Well, do you have a bin directory there?
If so, cd into /privateer/bin
there should be your executable files there. Vegastrike, Launcher and Setup

Vegastrike is the Game Executable.
Launcher should handle your various needs like choosing which saved game to launch, setup will help you configure the game pecifics like sound and display options for your system.

oh jeepers Wendy.... DUH DUH DUH.. thanks for telling me that, I should have realized that!

(it works great, and the framerate is faster in linux than windows, too!)

Since I have your attention, do you know if it's as easy as copying the dave game directory from the windows install to linux for the saves to work?

cheers!

kilolima

to get your old saves back do the following
mkdir ~/.privateer009
cp -r /mnt/c/Program\ Files/Vegastrike/Privateer/.privateer009/* ~/.privateer009/
the directories might be called slightly differently--but I'm sure you can figure it out...

in linux your saves are in your home dir :) in windows they stay in the game dir

Hi Hellcatv, I tried to copy the save from windows over but keep getting an error when trying to run the bin setup:

Unable to read from setup.config

The file is there in .privateer0009 and is readable... so not sure what is going on.

...though I noticed that the setup options are slightly different between windows and linux... so does that mean that the setup config files are not compatible between the two?

I uninstalled (and rm -fr the .privateer0009 dir in home) and re-installed privateer and I'm still getting this config error. I never had this error before I tried to copy my windows .privateer009 directory over to linux. Any ideas?

kilolima

kilolima said:
After I run the installer, I cd into the privateer directory, and then what? none of the sh files are executable, if I try to chmod +x vegastrike.sh and then run it, nothing happens, no errors, no output, nada.
You've worked around this by running the executables directly I see. Just out of curiosity then, can you get it to run with sh ./vegastrike.sh ? Same as what you were trying, just with sh tacked onto the beginning..

You've worked around this by running the executables directly I see. Just out of curiosity then, can you get it to run with sh ./vegastrike.sh ? Same as what you were trying, just with sh tacked onto the beginning..

WHOA. my bad. I just tried this again using the vegastrike.sh in the bin/ directory and the setup config launches. But it doesn't work on the vegastrike.sh in the main privateer directory. Thanks!

Back