Privateer.

Not the same graphics, but the same 'talking heads' style, if that's what you mean. Privateer and Strike Commander did share voice actors/actresses, though.

(...) They later went back and did a full-speech CD-ROM of Privateer, with a different voice for the main character.

Weird, I never noticed that even though I have both versions. But as soon as I got the CD version, I stopped using the speech pack disks.

Do you have any samples on how different they sound? I think I can remember the CD version rather well.

LOAF posted the Privateer intro a long while ago. If you know Strike Commander, I believe the actor for the 'Hero' (player) character originally voiced Burrows in Privateer as well. In the Privateer CD version, Burrows was portrayed by the actor who played Tex in Strike Commander.

I did play Strike Commander but with much less passion (SC was rather my brother's game) so sadly, I don't remember any of the SC voices.

Well, I've found one RF diskette loose in my closet. Does anyone know how many diskettes RF has? Next, I've got to check the games that I store in the garage for the rest of RF and the Privateer speech pack. That's going to take a while....but it'll be a trip down memory lane. :)

As for the Strike Commander npc interaction graphics, all I seem to recall is that the fixers sat at tables in the bar and when you took a mission they reached out and shook your hand as in Privateer.

I did play Strike Commander but with much less passion (SC was rather my brother's game) so sadly, I don't remember any of the SC voices.
Game Audio Player does an excellent job on playing/extracting the speech from Strike Commander. Unlike Privateer, where the only the inflight comms can be extracted. Which is disappointing and a little surprising given that the two games were released around the same time and shared a lot of the data structure internally.

I installed SC just to see what it looked like compared to Privateer. Those talking heads look mighty similar in style to the ones in Priavateer and the bunk save system is certainly reminiscent of WC.

During the opening movie you hear Tex speak and he does sound like Burrows (sans the Texas accent) in the CD version of Privateer. The voice credits in "Sudden Death" list Marco Perella as the voice of "Tex" and Jason Tirado as the voice of the "hero."

If I understood what I read above, Tirado did the voice of "Burrows" in the Privateer floppy version and Perella did "Burrows" in the CD version. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any credits in the CD version manual. There's nothing in the "Privateer Playtesters' Guide" either. The info's probably right here on the CIC site....if I knew where to look. ;)

IMDB also shows Perella as "Tex" in SC, but does not give him a credit for "Privateer." Coincidentally, Perella plays a character in "A Scanner Darkly," a film that I'm going to look at on cable in about an hour. He also played "Weasel" in Crusader: No Remorse.

Checked Perella's website and discovered he's recently published a book: "Adventures of a No-Name Actor." His resume lists no pc games. The guy works prettily steadily and has been in a lot of films I've seen.....tho' I never made the "Burrows" connection.

Back