Privateer 2: The Darkening -

Rostek

Spaceman
Just a quick question, I have a copy of Privateer 2: The Darkening (not the Delux version) and was wondering if anyone knows of any patches/files to get this to work with Windows 98?

Nah, I don't think it's possible. I' ve looked for a patch myself quite some time but didn't find anything. :(

I used to run it in Windows 98 no problem.. I forget exactly what you had to do.. but it's a simple matter of checking some property for the main exe.. force it to think it's in DOS or something like that.

Originally posted by Rostek
Just a quick question, I have a copy of Privateer 2: The Darkening (not the Delux version) and was wondering if anyone knows of any patches/files to get this to work with Windows 98?

Right click on the executable, goto properties advanced (or something like that) and select "Prevent DOS programs from detecting windows" from the 3 options there.

thanks, cff. Have tryed this, and have seen the setup screen for the first time:)

And thanks to everyone who replyed.

S'cuse me.
I cant even install the bugger. Mine is a dos-version and i can only, by what ive seen, install via dos. Problem is, it NEEDS a sound card to be installed (i have not got one as my PC's sound is intergrated onto the motherboard and it can only emulate a sound card when in windows).
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks.

PS. LOAF, im waiting on those files. Please email them.

Just a question: How do I get digital sound to work in W98?
In the soundconfig menue I can get my SB128 to work with the music, but the digital sound is a problem. The program says that no one of the available drivers fits; manual setting doesn't work too.

Originally posted by Newcommanderondablock
S'cuse me.
I cant even install the bugger. Mine is a dos-version and i can only, by what ive seen, install via dos. Problem is, it NEEDS a sound card to be installed (i have not got one as my PC's sound is intergrated onto the motherboard and it can only emulate a sound card when in windows).
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks.

PS. LOAF, im waiting on those files. Please email them.

I'm running my sound through an intergrated system too, but have no problems... have you tryed all the options in setup? I have mine set to Soundblaster Pro for sound, and Soundblaster 16 for music (why it's different, i wish i knew, any ideas?)

If my friend got Privateer to work on Win 98 no hitch, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to get Privateer 2 to work on yours.

wow

wow. one little checkbox all these years to get my fav game of all time to work in windows with no fuss. u guys rule.

question though....how to slow it down to a playable speed?? arrg...tried mo'slo, nothing. cpukiller seems to help, but its not falwless and i have to pay for it....yeah i'm cheap

anyone? spanks

actually i think that one is for the deluxe only version. doesn't seem to work with my old school one. however, i found that good 'ol turbo seems to work pretty well if i clock my fsb down to 100. only takes my cpu down to 1 Ghz from 1.4 Ghz, but it helps the turbo program a bit. i find it makes thigns a little choppy if you take it over roughly 60-70%. if i clock it down it seems to work fine using about 55%

thanks for the help, u guys rule!

Originally posted by Rostek
I'm running my sound through an intergrated system too, but have no problems... have you tryed all the options in setup? I have mine set to Soundblaster Pro for sound, and Soundblaster 16 for music (why it's different, i wish i knew, any ideas?)

Yes, i have. Stupid stupid privateer allows one to work (the music i think) but no speech. Agh, I HATE DOS!!!!!!! *picks up an axe and goes wild*

Space flight in P2

I have P2 Deluxe, and can play it in Win98. However, I can't advance ever in the game because the space flight is way too fast, so fast you can't aim or anything, so I get frustrated and quit. Is there anyway to slow the space flight aspect down to a more reasonable speed, to make the game more playable? Thanks.

It's enough if you report your problem just once. And thread necromancy isn't a very good thing to do.

speed solution

well since i'm such a nice guy....i found a solution to the speed problem that i also had with win98 and priv2 deluxe (it was an old post, i found a way to convert p2 dos to deluxe.)

http://originalthp.solsector.net/privateer2win95/privateer2.html

there is a speed fix here. works very well for me (athlon xp 1600 (1.40Ghz). if anyone is having trouble getting their old DOS version of privateer 2 to work, THIS TELLS YOU HOW TO FIX IT INTO THE DEXLUE ONE!! WINDOWS SUPPORT!!!

hey it was big for me. i love that old game.

anyway, happy gaming!

shouldn't this be in tech support?
it doesn't take a WC Forum post-Doctorate to know that tech support stuff belong in the tech support area which is quite visible in the forum list.

Anyway, my big problem with this game is DIGITAL JOYSTICK.

Back