Novels Question

Dak

Spaceman
What's the best WC novel to start with?

I'm NOT after the best book, rather the first one for someone who hasn't read any before.

Thanks people...

Sadly, the rarest -- End Run -- is probably the best to start with. Failing that, start with Freedom Flight (the first book in the series).

You can get them at Amazon.com...End Run is out of print, but they say that there is a limited quantity.

I've found it on both Amazon.com marketplace and Amazon.co.uk zshops, however, I don't have a credit card and can't register for it :rolleyes: Neither of them accept debit cards, which the rest of Amazon.co.uk does accept...

At the moment all I can do is root about with my fingers crossed...

long time ago on the front page wasn't there someone that was planning to type out the book for online reading?

ARGH! We've said it many times, we have a copy on the internet. Someone finished it earlier this year!

...And to be honest, I'd say start with Fleet Action, since it is, im my opnion, the best of novels. In a close second is the movie novelization...

I started with Fleet Action (thanks to the CIC! yay), and it was the one that really got me into reading the rest of 'em. Then I had a wierd order of just whatever I could find and when. First was FA, then I read Freedom Flight, then Price of Freedom, Action Stations, Pilgrim Stars, and i've yet to get a copy of the movie novel, False Colors, End Run, and Heart of the Tiger.

Fleet Action was defiantly the best i've read, and Freedom Flight had some cool parts to it. Price of Freedom was ok, Action Stations was alright, and Pilgrim Stars was decent.

To Start?

Try End Run then. It's a pair of novellas, and it ties in nicely with Fleet Action. Freedom Flight's the WC1:SM2 novelization, or a parallel story to that. But if you want to understand some of what happens in Fleet Action, or to learn more about those characters... read End Run. It really is a lynchpin.

Originally posted by LeHah
...we have a copy on the internet. Someone finished it earlier this year!
Jetlag. Thanks to him, End Run is my first and only WC novel. I posted a link to his PDF in another thread, but I can't remember what it was, and I don't want to look for it at my slow home connection. But if you search for End Run or Jetlag in the news archives, you should find it.

Action Stations is *not* a good place to start -- it's a prequel that will be very unappreciated if you're not familiar with the novel characters.

Plus, its intro spoils all the other books.

Originally posted by Dak
At the moment all I can do is root about with my fingers crossed...

hehehehehe!!! Sorry, I just have to laugh at that one. People generally don't 'root' about with their fingers (well they can, but its usually done with something else)! :D

Well i guess it depends what your rooting about in. If its something nasty, like the trash I'd use a stick or something. If i were rooting around in my kitchen drawer, I'd use my fingers.

I would say read Freedom Flight first. It gives you that bridge between WC I and WC II. And it gets you into the heads of the characters in WC a bit more.

Well if you have a chance, read End Run first. It introduces you to Banbridge, the Tarawa, Kevin Tolwyn, familiarizes you with Bonderevsky, Doomsday, Geoffry Tolwyn, Sparks, and sets up events for the rest of the books including WC3. Freedom Flight is good, but it really doesnt impact the others. But it is good for knowing Hunter, and the Firekkans.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Action Stations is *not* a good place to start -- it's a prequel that will be very unappreciated if you're not familiar with the novel characters.
How rare is Action Stations compared to the others? It's the only one left I have to buy...

Well, according to Amazon.com, it's out of print. It's the easiest of the out-of-prints to find. Though, I dun have to worry, I got mine the day it came out! :D

...wait, my friend Dave has it!!! :mad:

Back