Nostalgia...

Infidel

Spaceman
The CIC birthday celebration has me thinking back nearly 15 (!) years to when I first became involved in WC fandom. Anyone lurking out there from the ancient WCHQ club on Prodigy?

Anyway, I'm admittedly new to the CIC Forums scene, so forgive me if this has been done, but I figured this might be a good place and time to reminisce about how you were introduced to the series and it's fans.

I distinctly recall walking through an Electronics Boutique with my father circa 1990 looking for a new game, and having a salesman approach us and say, "You have got to check this one out!" Wherever that man may be this day, bless you sir! ;)

I never tire of the "First experiences with Wing Commander" topic.

I hadn't started with Wing Commander 1, even though I wish I did. Instead when I got my first PC, the deluxe edition of Wing Commander 2 was what caught my eye.

I don't exactly remember where I heard it, but before I got a PC I played a lot of console games and I remember hearing a lot about this "Wing Commander" series and how great it was. Being a trekkie and a general sci-fi geek I looked the box and thought, "hey I heard a lot of good things about this, reminds me of Battlestar Galactica or something."

So I bought it. I wasn't ready for how cinematic the game was. It was nothing like anything I've ever played before and I instantly took to PC gaming over consoles at that moment. What I really loved about it was putting in your own name and callsign, it made the game that much more personal and you really cared about the characters, or really hated them in the case of Jazz.

Back