New Fighter; Stinger

Iceyl86

Spaceman
I've always been a fan of light fighters, fast, manueverable... and usually weapons with better range and more accuracy... so I was thinking... the ferret has been one I've LOVED flying for a long time now. I came up w/ a design for the Super Ferret though... what if, instead of adding a couple missiles, they instead put one heavy torpedo on there, that could be reclassified as a "Stinger", Move in fast, knock out the enemy capship while dodging fire, then pull out. Not only have you wiped out a cap ship, you still have a ferret that can perform its original job!

... what!? I think its a good idea! I;d rather throw a Ferret w/ one Pilot at a capship rather then a Huge, expensive, broadsword w/ about a 4 person crew aboard!

I have an idea. Lets take the engine off a ferret and replace them with a corvette one, then ram it into things.

t.c.cgi said:
I have an idea. Lets take the engine off a ferret and replace them with a corvette one, then ram it into things.
Im serious, I do it in WC3 when I fly the arrow, put a few dumbfires and Torpedos on there and it does the job!

I don't think you're putting torpedoes on an Arrow.

(... unless you're playing the card game.)

Bandit LOAF said:
I don't think you're putting torpedoes on an Arrow.

(... unless you're playing the card game.)

Then dumbfires or something, either way it took out the destroyer I shot them at!

Let's see, somewhat fast ships witch are manouverable but weak Shild gets a a heavy Mass (???) weapon with limited range and a relative long locking time, which force them to fly straigt (cutting the manouverable advantage) and get fast to the target (or slow down, killing the speed advantage). Well, hope they don't come with Blasters errr...Fighters who protect the Capships, and the Capships lacks FlAKs, then those ships would be a good idea.

Icefire69 said:
Let's see, somewhat fast ships witch are manouverable but weak Shild gets a a heavy Mass (???) weapon with limited range and a relative long locking time, which force them to fly straigt (cutting the manouverable advantage) and get fast to the target (or slow down, killing the speed advantage). Well, hope they don't come with Blasters errr...Fighters who protect the Capships, and the Capships lacks FlAKs, then those ships would be a good idea.

Not all torpedos require a lock... especially not in WCs 1 & 2, that was where my thinking was coming from.

Not all torpedos require a lock... especially not in WCs 1 & 2, that was where my thinking was coming from.

A torpedo requires a lock if it's going to skip through the enemy shields -- it can be a large dumb fire in any era if you're going to just hit a ships shields.

Wasn't there a variant of the Ferret with a single torpedo and mabye a jumpdrive?

There was a jump capable Ferret in Fleet Action and a single-torpedo-carrying Epee in WC2.

Bandit LOAF said:
There was a jump capable Ferret in Fleet Action and a single-torpedo-carrying Epee in WC2.

ugh... I remember that ship... the Epee... I also remembering it pissin me off! The shields and Armor were PAPER thin! Now I'm all for ships sacficing armor for speed, but making it that thin and making the shields just as bad, now thats my definition of a Death trap.

Iceyl86 said:
ugh... I remember that ship... the Epee... I also remembering it pissin me off! The shields and Armor were PAPER thin! Now I'm all for ships sacficing armor for speed, but making it that thin and making the shields just as bad, now thats my definition of a Death trap.

Well in Space Sims most crafts are alike, and Speed isn't of issue because only accomplish mission counts, not survivablity(or however it's spelled). You usally don't need to run, you need to fight. Add this with long range guns, high general manouverability of all crafts, afterburners, you can't extend far enough for doing good Hit 'n' Runs.

If you want to see a combat enviroment, where Speed counts, look for WWII Sims.

I would like to have a Remake of Wing Commander, where Ships stats would be more apart. Where light Fighter would be really fast, but weak gun package vs. Bomber and bigger ships. Were medium or Heavy Fighter could tear apart bombers and cap ships (if unphase shilds).

But till now, light and medium fighter are only there, to give weaker crafts in the beginning to reward the player with "stronger" ships in late game.

Dahan said:
why the stinger when we already have a similar fighter, the morning star

Knew it was gonna be brought up... The morningstar had too many problems for me to love! For one, that stupid Mace missile, you fire that and someone blasts it, your dead! Its overrated really... though I did like it if the enemy got in a few luck shots, and took out two of the particle guns, that way you could use the third like it was fully automatic! YEAH!!!

Back