New 3D Thread

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys, she's home and bubbling away happy, just like a normal kid now!

Also, this was just too cool to share. If you're in the supermarket or bookstore and happen across the February issue of Kitplanes Magazine, that's me flying the #2 airplane (with the nosewheel) and I'm also credited in the article, along with some artwork. It's super exciting to see all your hard work in glossy print! Not really WC related, but it IS fun to get to say 'break and attack' every once in a while at the office...

0216medium.jpg

Last edited:
Klavs, I'm clearly a big fan of your work. I was thinking of suggesting a "heritage flight" shot of your renders (you know, because I know you have loads of free time *sarcasm). Anyway, these types of photos were always cool, in my opinion, and I was trying to picture what it would look like in the Wing Commander universe. You've done things quite similar, and they're always incredible.
15-51-16.jpg
17-52.jpg
22-4-51.jpg

For extra fun, watch the video with the sound turned off and turn on the captioning...

On a related topic, I found out just the other day how I could import objects into Blender from an old modeler program I used to use back in the day, CorelDream (the modern version of which is Carrara, which is well out of my price range for the amount of work I'd do with it). You can either pipe it out in DXF (which Blender supports natively) or VRML 1.0 (which Blender doesn't - you have to convert it to at least VRML 2.0 to import it without Blender throwing up). Does open up the possibility that I'll be able to do some of my new ships for Elegy in the near future - and perhaps share models with any interested parties - all of which I'm excited about.

Thanks for the video!

Unfortunately my issue is that the meshes for some of the models aren't showing up after I import them. This was discussed on page 21 of this thread. The only solution offered was to fix them in 3dsmax, which I am unable to do ($).

Thanks for the video!

Unfortunately my issue is that the meshes for some of the models aren't showing up after I import them. This was discussed on page 21 of this thread. The only solution offered was to fix them in 3dsmax, which I am unable to do ($).

The models were originally created in Modo, which has a great 30 day free trial (and is much more affordable as a 'do almost most everything' 3d platform). Anyway, grab the trial, and export in whatever format to your heart's content.

The good news is I got Modo working. The bad news is I have no idea what is messing up some of the files. For example the F-44G Rapier imports fine to blender but the F-44 does not. Does anyone know which setting to change?

Update: saved them as .obj files. They seem to work now!

Last edited:
Back