New 3D Thread

Well, Aginor, the trouble is that we're talking about a wildly different scale here. The Kilrathi have spread across the universe. There are not billions, but trillions of them. Presumably, you will have clans that count in the hundreds of billions. How does that compare to Earth, where no nation has ever existed with more than two billion people? Even for humanity, we can't begin to imagine how being spread across dozens of star systems would affect linguistic unity, and in this case, we're talking about a completely different race, utterly alien beings that have some common traits with some Earth cultures, but ultimately are completely something else. For all we know, it may actually be that the unity of the Empire has come at the price of linguistic unity - that the only way the Kilrathi would agree to stop fighting against the central authority, is if that central authority agreed to let them retain their own identity. Think of German history - in the united Reich, the major German states like Bavaria actually retained their own separate armed forces. Why couldn't this be the case for the Kilrathi, with some clans still maintaining a fleet of their own, and doggedly sticking with the old writing system specifically to hammer across the point that they are separate and irreplaceable (in the sense that their equipment is documented only in their language)?

I'm not saying this is actually the case, what I am saying is that the possibilities are pretty limitless. We need not restrict ourselves to human parallels - although as the German example shows, even human parallels offer many diverse possibilities.

Venture2.jpg
Venture1.jpg
A Venture corvette can easily do a barrel roll in standard atmosphere, it is simply a matter of timing and altitude.

TCFT Report titled 'Unconventional manuvers in conventional craft' by Todd Marshall (rejected for publication)

Always loved the WC4 shuttle. Kinda reminds me of the WW2 Jeep with all its various functions and variations, like the medical jeep!

A Venture corvette can easily do a barrel roll in standard atmosphere, it is simply a matter of timing and altitude.

TCFT Report titled 'Unconventional maneuvers in conventional craft' by Todd Marshall (rejected for publication)

A 747 or a B-52 can do a barrel roll as well as long as the airspeed is not too high (stress) or too low (stall), so I have no problem believing something Venture-sized could do the same.

Actually, it's all about keeping the roll 1g. The airplane structure doesn't care what attitude it's in as long as it's got 1g "down"

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Attachments

• B52.jpg
    B52.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 294
That shot of the Ventures and Bengal is awesome. If I may make a suggestion - add some blue lights along each side of the opening to the hangar deck. Another small touch that will tie your design of the Bengal in with the WC1 model.

Like this:

DP4z1tU.png

OQl0csW.png

Actually, it's all about keeping the roll 1g. The airplane structure doesn't care what attitude it's in as long as it's got 1g "down"

Nah there's aerodynamic torsion forces on the wings to worry about as well if you roll faster (or at a higher airspeed) than the aircraft is designed to tolerate. Do it too recklessly and you'll bend/break a wingtip.

Nah there's aerodynamic torsion forces on the wings to worry about as well if you roll faster (or at a higher airspeed) than the aircraft is designed to tolerate. Do it too recklessly and you'll bend/break a wingtip.

Yes, that too. Maybe Maniac should have said 'snap roll' instead :)

@Quarto: Sorry for the late answer, I kinda forgot about this thread last week. Alzheimer's or something...

I guess you could argument that way, IMO it is roughly as likely or unlikely as the other explanation. You're right, we just don't know it. The advantage of your theory is that it works completely in-universe, I admit that it sounds rather cool and somewhat unique. And it fits nicely to another feature of the Kilrathi military that might or might not be the case and I'd like to discuss that.
Not in Klavs' thread though, so I'll open another thread shortly.

A little progress on the Tiger's Claw hangar bay details. Quickly modeled the 'Robotic Armament Loading Facilitator' or RALF. :)

"Pardon me, coming thru"

@Toast: Awesome! What a cool treat!

Chris and I have spoken a little, but I was unable to help much with Star Citizen due to work commitments. The stuff in this thread is just to blow off creative steam in a 'safe' environment :)

Attachments

• RALF.jpg
    RALF.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 309
We had gone to 125% on the impulse pods, hoping to give us the delta to make the jump before the raider could close with us. Looking at the numbers now, it was obvious that he would overtake us long before that, all we could was burn out the reactor. Even if we burned all our propellant, there was still no way.

The crew were all looking to me, wide eyed. I felt a knotted, sick feeling in my stomach. Knowing it was just a matter of time, I ordered impulse zero and hoped. We coasted along, watching the range readout grow smaller and smaller.

At fifty kilometers he still hadn't fired, and I breathed a sigh of thanks. The raider swung around in front of us and closed to three clicks. No radio calls were necessary. It was obvious what they wanted. I ordered Sellers to drop the shields. Bless her, she only hesitated for a second before doing it.

Eight bulky figures dropped out of the raider and spread out. Spacesuits sporting heavy weapons. A Kilrathi, grinning through his armored faceplate, floated directly over the bridge window, brandishing a gigantic cannon.

I gave the order.

In a heartbeat we had severed the connections to the cargo modules and shunted power to the impulse engines. Raj vented propellant into the reactors and we were at full burn an instant later. I looked up to note the surprised look on the Kilrathi's face and then we were well past him.

Freed of tons and tons of cargo, the Joliet exploded into high velocity like the musclebound ox she was. We bore down on the raider as he writhed udner our bow, trying to manuver out of the way. The last thing I remember was seeing the light show as the shields shorted out.

When I woke up, I was in the rec-room, bathed in red emergency lighting. Sellers was floating over me, laughing. It made me laugh too. I laughed until tears stung my eyes and refused to float away.

The first thing I ordered after we all quit crying was a damage report. The Joliet had a broken nose, the first ten meters of her bow flattened like she'd been hit with a frying pan. It was a miracle none of the bridge crew had been crushed.

But the Drayman's stocky construction had paid off, the ship stove in around the bridge crumple zone and the aft bulkhead and door to the bridge was still intact. Sellers, the only one still conscious after the impact, had gotten us all out before we'd asphyxiated.

The raider was a million clicks astern and trying to recover his scattered EVA team. His shields were out and he didn't appear to be maneuvering. The Joliet, apart from needing a nose job and a new set of keel spars, was still under power.

My eyes settled on Henrietta's zero gee litter box module, still safely velcro'd to the aft wall of the rec-room. 'Come about,' I ordered. 'And bring me all the kitty litter you can find.'

-Harry Massaoui, Captian of the SS Joliet
'Kinetic Kitty Kill' Starfarer Magazine, July 2655.

Attachments

• Drayman1.jpg
    Drayman1.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Drayman2.jpg
    Drayman2.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 355
Back