Nav map confusing as all hell

kilolima

Spaceman
Hullo,

I can't seem to figure out the nav map:

1. Icons for system features are too big, they overlap each other and the text (this at 800x600 resolution). The text for buttons along right side of screen are too big for the buttons as well.

2. The 2D view results in icons being on top of each other which makes it unreadable.

3. It doesnt seem to refresh very well, along the top it says I'm in another system when I know I'm in a new one.

4. I don't understand why some lines between systems are color-coded blue or red... what does this mean?

5. The nav map is part of the HUD I guess, becuase you can see space around the edges.... but my question, is what is the point of not filling up the entire screen, becuase you can't see any amount of space for what you still can see to be useful. Just make it full screen so that the map will actually fit in the screen.

Basically, at this point, I've just given up trying to use the it, which makes the game confusing... but not as confusing as trying to use it.

IMHO, the nav map system from Escape Velocity was very nice. Clean, simple, and fast.

cheers,

kilolima

kilolima said:
1. Icons for system features are too big, they overlap each other and the text (this at 800x600 resolution). The text for buttons along right side of screen are too big for the buttons as well.
Text is too big for the buttons isn't it. It fits fine in 1024*768. I'm not really sure what to do about it at lower resolutions. Fonts can only go so far before they become rather illegible.
2. The 2D view results in icons being on top of each other which makes it unreadable.
The button says 2d/isometric/3d but the actual order is isometric/2d/3d. Who knows why. It defaults to isometric. Press the button once to get to 2d view. When you go up to the galaxy map, you have to press it once more to get the galaxy map into 2d.
3. It doesnt seem to refresh very well, along the top it says I'm in another system when I know I'm in a new one.
I can't confirm this. Even when looking at the map while jumping, the map switches once the jump finishes. Has anyone else seen anything like that?
4. I don't understand why some lines between systems are color-coded blue or red... what does this mean?
Systems that are held by the kilrathi are red on the map. Jump lines red systems are red. Jump lines between a red and a blue system are half red, half blue. Also, the route currently marked by your route planner is red (confusing, a different color would be best). If you don't use any of the pathfinding/marking functions, it will keep track of a path from your starting point to where you are now (those jump lines will be red). The path marking was added rather recently to Vegastrike and I haven't really mastered it yet myself :)
5. The nav map is part of the HUD I guess, becuase you can see space around the edges.... but my question, is what is the point of not filling up the entire screen, becuase you can't see any amount of space for what you still can see to be useful. Just make it full screen so that the map will actually fit in the screen.
One reason I can think of is that you can look at the map while you approach a jump point, and you can see when you reach it. I find that useful, but having a bit of extra space might be worth it.

Thanks for the comments

MamiyaOtaru said:
Even when looking at the map while jumping, the map switches once the jump finishes. Has anyone else seen anything like that?
Yes, the map often lists the incorrect system (a previous system that I jumped out of).

The path marking was added rather recently to Vegastrike and I haven't really mastered it yet myself :)
Thanks for the color explanation. @ Silverain: this should be in the manual.

Is there a way to plan your own route so it becomes color-differentiated in the map and can be seen easily?

One reason I can think of is that you can look at the map while you approach a jump point, and you can see when you reach it. I find that useful, but having a bit of extra space might be worth it.
kilolima, I don't know if you realize this, but the game is not paused while you are looking at your map, unlike the original privateer. I like the fact that you can see space around the edges because it reminds me that I'm still flying around. It has also saved my butt more than once when I saw a base filling the HUD border and swerved away just in time.

JKeefe said:
Thanks for the color explanation. @ Silverain: this should be in the manual.

Working

JKeefe said:
Is there a way to plan your own route so it becomes color-differentiated in the map and can be seen easily?

Try the On/Off/Only button. On highlights flightpath, off no flightpath, Only shows only those systems on your flightpath, no others. E.g. if moving to next system, only your source and destination system. If 5 systems away, shows source and all interconnected systems.

JKeefe said:
kilolima, I don't know if you realize this, but the game is not paused while you are looking at your map, unlike the original privateer. I like the fact that you can see space around the edges because it reminds me that I'm still flying around. It has also saved my butt more than once when I saw a base filling the HUD border and swerved away just in time.

Beat me to it. Being able to see the HUD is a reminder that the game does not pause (unlike original Privateer).

Being able to see the HUD is a reminder that the game does not pause (unlike original Privateer).

Ah, that was a cheat in the original. I could go to Nav, and 'though "paused," you could watch your progress on the screen.

thanks for the feedback. I figured out that I could re-orient the nav map on different systems by clicking on them, and with the 3D view, it makes it a LITTLE better to see what the heck is going on... if somebody can tell me how to take a screenshot, I can post it here so you can see what it looks like at 800x600 resolution... not pretty.

It seems to be a problem of resolution than anything. At this size, I would gladly sacrifice the border of space visible in the cockpit so I could make sense of the map, I don't care if the game is not paused or whatever.

Is there someway to change the font and map icon size in some config file by hand?

one thing about the galaxy mode, is that it says at the top whatever system you have 'selected', at least that's what it was last time i checked. it's not where your'e at.

just go down to system mode, it says the name where you're at.

though this might have changed since last i messed with it.

-scheherazade

kilolima said:
if somebody can tell me how to take a screenshot, I can post it here so you can see what it looks like at 800x600 resolution... not pretty.
AFAIK there is no built in screen-capture command in Privateer Remake. However, in Windows, PRINT SCREEN captures the entire contents of the viewable area to the clipboard. That can then be pasted into an image editor using CTRL+v and manipulated as neccessary.

Since I run dual monitors, my PRINT SCREEN captures a very large image - it is 1600x1200 Privateer on the left and my 1280x960 desktop on the right. It's a very quick process to crop, resize, and upload, though.

PRINT SCREEN overwrites the clipboard contents each time you use it, so if you need to capture multiple images, you will have to capture the first, pause the game, ALT+TAB to the desktop, and paste it somewhere before you continue. So far, I have found Privateer Remake to be very ALT+TAB friendly.

Alt + Tab is very friendly depending on your video card.

For me, it is friendly only in windowed mode. SOmething about the way mine renders fonts.

btw: zooming in makes the text in the map a bit easier to read as there aren't so many systems or nav points on the screen all at once. Use the mouse wheel.

OMG. That is all I needed to know, MamiyaOtaru! I must have missed the mouse-wheel zoom control in the manual, now the navmap is a breeze to use. Thanks!

Back