MyJEMM Stability Issues

Firehawk153

Spaceman
I just found out about MyJEMM the other day and I was soooo happy that I had found a way to run Privateer in Windows. I installed privateer on my Win98 partition, configured the sound, fired oup MyJEMM and it worked perfectly. The digital sound is perfect and the MIDI sounds so much better on a wavetable sound card. The only problem I've been having is of stability issues.

I know that MYJEMM is alpha software, but as my computer runs now, privateer is unplayable. I can play the game at most no longer than 5 minutes before it crashes to the desktop with an error message. It is usually shorter than that. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any way to make MYJEMM more stable. I could run it in DOS, but I don't have an old gameport style joystick anymore, the one I have now is a USB. Any suggestions?

System specs:

Windows 98 SE
Soundblaster Live! value with latest drivers
All of the memory settings on the "myjemm" executable are set to automatic. I searched my computer for my config.sys file to make sure my memory settings were right. I found the file, but it didn't have anything in it, it was a completely blank file.

I don't think there's a lot of information out there on actual troubleshooting with the program. You might email Ross Ridge, the program's creator, if you get some sort of specific error message.

Turning off the sound in the setup utility has resolved all the stability problems I've had. With sound on, Privateer tends to crash rather frequently.

Yea, I eventually came to that conclusion too. Fortunately, I had an old IBM 266 mhz laying around with a Sound Blaster 16 ISA in it. I've been playing Privateer (with MYJEMM) and it has only crashed 2 or three times in several hours of gameplay. I guess it doesn't like that Sound Blaster Live! emulated sound.

Back