music and sound effects at same time under linux?

kilolima

Spaceman
Can I have my cake and eat it too?!

I tried this solution @

http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=249017&postcount=18

but wasn't sure what to do with this file, and didn't see any effect.

I can run it with effects working or with music but not both at the same time. This is with KDE, with or without artsd running. Does anybody else on linux have any solutions or the same problems?

Thanks for the great help on this forum, this game is going to be the best game for linux out there... and right now you're way up on any other projects just by virtue of the nice graphical installer!

cheers,

kilolima

you need to have artsd running if you have a sound card that can only manage one channel.
In that case, you'll need to
put the following
;;(define devices '(alsa native))
in your ~/.openalrc file

without artsd, soundserver and vegastrike will each open a channel to the soundcard, and only one will succede

Same problem, but not under KDE

I'm having the same problem, in a GNOME environment. Running esd seems to make no difference.

Soundcard is onboard nforce2 chipset, using alsa drivers; distro=gentoo ~x86.

I'm not sure if openal is compatible with esd
try running artsd and add the stuff to the config file like I said

still no success

you need to have artsd running if you have a sound card that can only manage one channel.
In that case, you'll need to
put the following
;;(define devices '(alsa native))
in your ~/.openalrc file

I tried this, also tried to replace 'alsa native' with 'arts' as someone suggested on the vegastrike forums.

Also compiled and installed openal with arts support (I had it from the fedora core rpm initially).

artsd is running in the background. I tried to run xmms using the arts output and privateer at the same time but there were no effects or music. I can run xmms and amarok or another arts audio program at the same time with no problem.

Is there someway to start soundserver via artsdsp within the program? would this do anything?

thanks,

kilolima

you could make soundserver a shell script that ran
artsd soundserver.real
and then ran
cd vegastrike/bin
artsd ./vegastrike

that might work
note that Vega Strike uses statically linked openAL...perhaps my version of openAL from debian stable is not compatible with your version of artsd--this is possible...
I'm not sure a good way around it since I do not wish to demand other packages...
a
near surefire way to do this is to check out vegastrike from cvs and build that and use that instead ;-)
course that's more work but you can drop'n'replace the vegastrike binary I built to be xtra compatible

Hi Hellcatv,

after some serious strain, I managed to get vegastrike from cvs and get it compiled. Still can't get it to run, complains about missing data.. (and it looks like on the forums that while many others have tried, few have ever succeeded) but anyways, I replaced the privateer/bin vegatstrike executable with the one I built using my lib of openal. No difference, still only effects, or music, but not both.

I was able to launch 'artsdsp ./soundserver' and telnet to it to play oggs, and then play mp3s in xmms or juk at the same time.

But if I try this for soundserver:

artsd soundserver.real

I get an error:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe

and then 'artsd ./vegastrike' complains that it can't open the device for playback.

Back