Most desired Non-Playable fighter?

A lot of the ships I'm seeing named here are in progressing fan projects already. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the Pioneer project - early ships that I've always envisioned as having shields that are barely worth the name and primitive inertial compensation. Reading Action Stations, one of the things that struck me was that a passing volley of laser fire seemed to strip out shields pretty easily even on serious combat fighters, and longterm durability was in question even in the hands of a skilled pilot.

Oh yeah, I've also wanted to see a Stormfire used as a primary weapon. Viva ammo limits! (and viva those who can hit consistently enough to keep shooting through a long battle.)

Chernikov said:
A lot of the ships I'm seeing named here are in progressing fan projects already. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the Pioneer project - early ships that I've always envisioned as having shields that are barely worth the name and primitive inertial compensation. Reading Action Stations, one of the things that struck me was that a passing volley of laser fire seemed to strip out shields pretty easily even on serious combat fighters, and longterm durability was in question even in the hands of a skilled pilot.

In the WC1 era, ships had shield thickness about equal to their armor thickness (as opposed to WC3/4 where shield thickness was 2-3 times armor thickness). In the Action Stations era shield thickness might be only about half of armor thickness--so for example the Scimitar would have only 4.0 cm of shields instead of the WC1 version's 6.0, and a light fighter like the Hurricane would have 2.5 or so (assuming approximately equal weapon and armor strength).

Oh yeah, I've also wanted to see a Stormfire used as a primary weapon. Viva ammo limits! (and viva those who can hit consistently enough to keep shooting through a long battle.)

Only really viable if you are allowed to turn tail and retreat when you run out of ammo. A thought might be to have mass drivers as a backup weapon--they're much less powerful, but you're not totally left up a creek when your bullets run out. Think of how the Piranha's energy guns were less damaging than its Stormfire cannon, and then multiply that difference by two.

Maj.Striker said:
More than adequate for its class, however I was assuming that the Demon, like the playable ships, would have been able to be equipped with a different gun load out had it been in fact playable.

Then saying it "mounted a powerful array of weaponry" wouldn't make sense if you were talking about a theoretical loadout that never existed. The Retro-fitted Salthi mounted a powerful array of weaponry.

A Gothri for me. The superior fighter in WC2 SM, and with 6 torpedoes a nightmare for all Confed capships.
Maybe the Standoff team can switch it in the sim (with the least popular fighter)

ChrisReid said:
Then saying it "mounted a powerful array of weaponry" wouldn't make sense if you were talking about a theoretical loadout that never existed. The Retro-fitted Salthi mounted a powerful array of weaponry.

True, perhaps I should have clarified. For its class it could mount 4 weapons which was impressive to me and only matched (in playable ships) by the centurion. The four guns is what I meant to say was impressive...not necessarily the guns themselves.

Confed said:
A Gothri for me. The superior fighter in WC2 SM, and with 6 torpedoes a nightmare for all Confed capships.
Maybe the Standoff team can switch it in the sim (with the least popular fighter)
We made the choice to have only confed ships in the sim. Besides, the least popular ship at the moment seems to be the Ferret, and I wouldn't want to remove that one.

Back