Meson, Reaper MIA?

I don't think we know anything about the Wraith's service history - not that it was a 'special ops' ship and not that it was removed from production.

Nomad Terror said:
but see the Excalibur got to see a large number of production units whereas the Wraith most probably only had a few before Confed dropped it due to high criticism.
Which high criticism would that be? :) We made that up when writing the Wraith's profile for Standoff, as an attempt to explain the Wraith's subsequent non-appearance in WC3 - and while we might wish otherwise, Standoff is definitely not canon. All things considered, Fleet Tactics' explanation makes just as much sense (we know the Wraith was being developed on Earth, so its production line could have been destroyed during the battle of Earth).

The practical reason for the Wraith not showing up being, of course, the fact that the TrueSpace engine would have choked on trying to make a ship that curvy :p

Cost sounds like a big reason for dropping the Reaper. Afterall there were presumeably lots of ion cannons around, being that they were a main weapon on at least two production fighters.

As for the "non-seen" fighters, why would they even be out of service? Just because CVEs in the Atlantic didn't fly F4U's doesn't mean they were out of production or service in the Pacific Theatre or aboard full fledged CVs, same thing with WC fighters. Wraith, Morningstars, Crossbows etc were probably in service aboard the full fledged carriers, whereas ships like Victory got older designs.

The practical reason for the Wraith not showing up being, of course, the fact that the TrueSpace engine would have choked on trying to make a ship that curvy

Discounting Armada, a TrueSpace-based game which included the Wraith in its fighter complement... :)

From what I remember the Wraith (as well as the Confed Banshee and Phantom) were only deployed in actual combat service from the Lexington in Armada, but then again just because we don't see something doesn't mean it never happened...

Flying a Wraith off the Lexington is the only time we actually get behind the stick - but Armada's fiction certainly implies that they're in service in other locations... the Confed Gauntlet mentions that you're flying the newly issued "production version" of the fighter, and the Kilrathi gauntlet actually has a mission that involves pirates flying Wraiths.

(And of course if you're flying a Kilrathi campaign mode, you'll be going up against eleven Confed carriers whose complements all include Wraiths.)

Interesting thing was that Wraith made into Academy with Mornigstar another SO ship.
As for the Reaper well I hope to think that in WC4 it was replaced with Light Tachyon Gun as Excaliburs replacment was suposed to be Bearcat.
Anyway here are the gun stats for Reaper and L-Tachyon.
Reaper Cannon
Range 4500 Klicks
Charge 17nJ
Damage 35CM
Refire Delay 300MS

Light Tachyon Gun
Velocity 1900 Klicks
Charge 30nJ
Damage 50CM
Refire Delay 350MS
Duration 2.0 secs

Over all not a big loss, but it would have been nice if one of these guns would have made into WCP.

Bandit LOAF said:
Discounting Armada, a TrueSpace-based game which included the Wraith in its fighter complement... :)

Erhem. Shoot me now plz.

I need to pull Armada up and see how it came out again, actually...

Back