Marines in Wing Commander

Mad Cow

Spaceman
I have yet another dumb question. How much mention is there of marines in the Wing Commander canon? I now we see Dekker's unit in WCIV and WCP as well as brief mentions of marines in Wing Commander I. Also, I know there are marines who go on suicide missions to mine Kat warships in the Battle of Earth.

However, is there ever any definitive talk about marines in the canon? Things such as the types of weapons they use, what ConFed troopships and landing craft look like? I can't remember any, but compared to some people on this forum, I'm a dabbler. Thoughts?

IIRC End Run does say some about their equipment, although I do not know off the top of my head any of the specifics, except that they use laser guns. I don't think they give a describtion of a landing craft, could be wrong. They are also around in battles like that of Rapleetah. That is all I can say, but I can remember seeing a thread that does list equipment and stuff they use that someone compiled, other than that I can't help you. I believe some marines also take part in blowing up the Hakaga carriers during the Battle of Terra, but I am not 100% sure on that one.

They talk about the landing craft quite a bit as they have to cram 10 of them into the Tarawa's already packed flight deck. In ER they talk about different types of weapons (gatling neutron guns, mass driver flechettes, etc) and also some of the ground equipment (armored walkers). Marines were the deciding factor in BoT without them, confed would not be around. They landed on the Hakagas and other ships in order to detonate mines deep inside them to destroy them.

There are other sources as well such as the confed handbook, WCM, and WCATV

Well, the Space Forces uses Army ranks (unsurprisingly, since they're descended from the Air Force) ... I don't believe we ever hear about a Confed army, though.

Marine equipment is detailed fairly extensively in End Run. They use:

- the standard-issue M-47 Laser Rifle (although it's stated very few marines still use it so late in the war)

- Neutron Miniguns ("Thirty-kilo anti-personel weapon with a fire rate of a thousand rounds per minute")

- Mass Driver Scattergun, which fires five hundred fletchettes in a single burst

- Stenson Drakon, a popular hunting rifle, which is said to be capable of downing a Vegan sabre-tooth from a mile away.

There's also mention of assault walkers which are as well armed and armored as a corvette, though we aren't given anything more detailed than that.

We don't ever hear about any Confed army, though that also does not preclude its existence - they may or may not be the forces which garrison worlds where Marines aren't stationed. We do know that Bear's brother Joshua was apparently one of the defenders of Khosan, and he was on the ground when the colony fell, but they never specify whether he was a pilot, a Marine, or anything else.

There's also mention of anti-personnel charges dropped by landing craft right before they touch down. Think of a cluster bomb mounted to the bottom of a shuttle craft, and you'd have the general idea. I think they use them to clear landing zones during planetary assaults, but I can't quite remember which books they were mentioned in. I think maybe Action Stations or End Run.

As for what the marine ships look like, in WC3/WC4 Confed marines apparently use standard R-type shuttles, while the Border Worlders (Dekker) had that funky ship with the nacelles. In Prophecy, they use the Hercules transport. Also, Confed troops are involved at Firekka, where they help assassinate the priestess of Sivar, IIRC. And Academy TV has some shots of the marines in action, including a scene from the Battle of Repleetah and the rifles (and maybe a grenade launcher, I don't remember exactly) used by the characters at various points. The WC movie also shows personal armor and rifles in action, although no landing craft, just the Diligent.

Also, the Black Lance weren't marines, but they probably used a lot of standard Confed equipment, and you can see their stuff on Axius base. In WC4, we also see marine guards in khakis with rifles at various points (mainly involving situations where Blair's going to get arrested, whee). WC3 has a scene of marines rescuing Dr. Severin (when Vagabond punches him). In WC4 (if you join up with Eisen at the first chance), you get to see Vagabond shoot it out with fancy pistols against some Border Worlders (armed with rifles again?) at the comm relay.

Haesslich said:
We don't ever hear about any Confed army, though that also does not preclude its existence - they may or may not be the forces which garrison worlds where Marines aren't stationed. We do know that Bear's brother Joshua was apparently one of the defenders of Khosan, and he was on the ground when the colony fell, but they never specify whether he was a pilot, a Marine, or anything else.

Why do they need a army. they only need a security force to protect buldings and a commando squad to special mission.

The ships mentioned in ER and other non game books ARE NOT the shuttles we see in the games. There are both big troopships and assault landing ships. I read something LOAF compiled about these crafts once, i think it was a loose txt in his site.

I saw the rifles they used in WC3 later being used by Atreides troops in the Empire Battle for Dune Cutscenes. Liked them much better than the tubes from WC4 and the Calico SMGs from WC5 although you don´t get to see them more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Here´s a vid with the props from WC4, it´s from a pcplayer cd so it´s german.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/whackaslut/3030.AVI

Fenris Ulven said:
Why do they need a army. they only need a security force to protect buldings and a commando squad to special mission.

The Marine Forces of the Wing Commander Universe I'm sure act in a similar capacity as Marines today. I try not to use the term Terran Confederation Marine Corps; for one I don't think Corps is ever established in the canon and secondly, after 35 years of fighting an intergallactic enemy the size of the Marine forces would have most assuredly have risen to more than a single Corps (usually two to no more than five divisions of soldiers).

But anyway, the Marines, like today, are actually a branch of the dept. of the Navy and were initially established as essentially Naval Infantry. Modern Marines do alot more than just shipboard security and establishing beach heads, but in the Terran Confederation, as today, surface operations would be primarily be executed by the General Infantry or some form of 27th century mech-infantry force; the Army.

GeeBot said:
In WC4 (if you join up with Eisen at the first chance), you get to see Vagabond shoot it out with fancy pistols against some Border Worlders (armed with rifles again?) at the comm relay.

Vagabond was fighting Confed guards, not Border Worlders.

Iceman16 said:
Vagabond was fighting Confed guards, not Border Worlders.
Of course, silly me. I was getting confused with that whole side-switching thing. But same difference, either way. :)

Dragon1 said:
Modern Marines do alot more than just shipboard security and establishing beach heads, but in the Terran Confederation, as today, surface operations would be primarily be executed by the General Infantry or some form of 27th century mech-infantry force; the Army.
Modern Marines don't really do shipboard security anymore, as the need to repel a massive boarding attempt is pretty remote. Security is mainly taken care of by the sailors on board, not marines. Also, I might take issue with the use of the word beach head, seeing how a modern "beach head" these days might be hundreds of miles inland. :)

Anyway, those are just minor quibbles. What I really wanted to respond to was the idea that Confed would need a 'general infantry' or an army of some kind... there's absolutely no evidence for one, which is pretty odd for an organization that, if it exists, must be pretty darn huge. If the army were small (small being relative, of course), then the marines could take over the job completely, which is what I think has happened.

Consider the need for grunts in a space war. You have guys to protect ships and conduct assault operations against space targets, all of which falls under the marine area of expertise. You have assaults against defended planets; again, a marine function.

Meanwhile, what does the army specialize in? The operation of major combat systems in a land war, mainly. Arguably, protracted ground operations are extremely unlikely, and the game designers tell us as much with the description of the Battle of Repleetah: The only reason it went on as long as it did was because there was no "decisive space strike". You can argue about the effectiveness of air power, but the assumption appears to be that ground combat capabilities are superfluous with the power and precision you can project from space. Major ground combat systems like tanks would be sitting ducks against WC-era fighters (which we see pretty clearly in WC3 and WC4).

So any ground force needs to be tightly integrated with a space component, or it''ll be doomed to destruction in a matter of weeks at best (a figure that comes from Action Stations). This is, in fact, precisely the doctrine pioneered by the marines, who have a long history of using combined arms (air, land, sea) and joint tactics, and still do it best.

Another thing the army does better than the marines is logistics. Marines travel light and can be resupplied from the sea or by helicopter, but the army has a well-developed system for hauling supplies over land ("an army marches on it stomach"). In fact, while in the marines the idea is that everyone is first and foremost a rifleman (or riflewoman), large parts of an army are usually devoted to logistics and other support personnel who don't have a primary function in fighting, often up to 50%.

Now, since combat takes place on the surface of a planet, the resupply distance is essentially just the few hundred miles from orbit to the ground and back, which is pretty much nothing. So, essentially, operations over the whole surface of a planet are essentially within easy reach of the "amphibious" force. This means resupply isn't nearly as much of a problem, as long as space superiority is maintained. (And if you don't have space superiorty, you're screwed anyway.)

As I mentioned in another thread, a war among planets is more like a war among islands (as in WW2's Pacific theater). The marines were a much more significant factor in that part of the war than in Europe, which was a much more continental form of warfare.

I am sure that if there was no large dedicated Army in Confed, there at least probably was a small one for the home planets. For the colony worlds, other than their own independent militias, when neccessary, large units could be recruited into the larger Confed Army command structure.

In the American civil war, the US regular Army was only a small part of the larger Union Army which incorporated regulated State militia units. For example the 54th Massachussetts Infantry regiment was a State recruited, State funded militia unit that merged into the greater Union command structure. I'm sure a system like this is what is probably inteded for the Wing Commander Universe.

The 380th Enyo Mech-Infantry division joins the Confed III Corps for operations in the Lennox system (or something like that).

Fleet Action does mention the existence of a Confed Army, but only in passing. In one of the bar scenes, it's mentioned that almost everyone there was wearing a Fleet pin, the fowled anchor insignia of the Marines, or an Army star. As I understand it, the Army does exist in WC, but no-one's ever told us how big it is or what it does.

Best, Raptor

I like the idea of militia units since the Confederation is so wide spread. Also because the idea of a large dedicated army seems like a silly waste of your budget when the enemy can just nuke it to heck from orbit.

Space combat adds a much grander dynamic to war, the ability to strike wherever you want whenever you want or even decimate the entire world if you have no use for it. The only function of planetary armies would be to repel a marine invasion. So yes I do think planets have their own ground defense forces organized but a huge confederation army seems a little far fetched. I'd assume planetary defense itself would mostly rely on fighters.

Yeah, I would imagine the Confed regular Army to include quite a few historically significant units for home planet security, many small special forces units, a complex logisitics system to incorporate militia units en masse if neccessary and possibly planetary air and rocket (missile) forces. Space-borne fighters would come under the jurisdiction of the Space Force, Navy and/or Marine Forces.

The army is referred to several times: in Fleet Action (as Raptor mentioned), in the Tolwyn article in the Confederation Handbook and in the original WC1/2 Official Guide (Prankster ends his introduction with 'Beat Army!').

I try not to use the term Terran Confederation Marine Corps; for one I don't think Corps is ever established in the canon

Eh, the first source in my pile refers to it as the Marine Corps (Dekker's bio in the WCP Official Guide).

Also, the Black Lance weren't marines, but they probably used a lot of standard Confed equipmen

There was a ground battalion of project personell, though. It's referred to in the novel a few times.

Back