Learn About Privateer's Background Vehicles (February 24, 2024)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Now let's take a look at some of the background vehicles that did make it into the game!

This is TRUCK, CART and CARGO which drive through Perry Naval Base. Truck and cart also appear on the mining base.

LOADER is a variant of truck that appears in the ship upgrade room. From the dev files (and the Oxford promo shot that started all this!) it looks like they intended for these guys to appear on the landing screens too.

This is the first of several CAR models. It drives through the New Constantinople concourse scene (in both directions.)

Perry's pad vista has this blink-and-you-miss him fellow: a tiny SHUTTLE that comes in from the left entrance. I can't believe they built so many tiny models (large at the time) for background animations that weren't more than a few pixels in the final game.

New Detroit's landing pad has two vehicles flying around: JACKO and AIRCAR.

New Detroit's street level has another CAR - this one becomes an aircar and flies off! And it mounts a single laser cannon. I want the game based on this thing!

In conclusion, we've learned that 1) the simplest background things in Privateer involved an insane amount of effort and detail and 2) in the year 2669 the DeLorean look is IN. Now here's an earlier variant of the AIRCAR mesh that looks like a butt!

Last one, I promise! Here's the Oxford train:

--
Original update published on February 24, 2024

The wheeled car reminds me more of Centauri's car from Last Starfighter.
starcar2.jpg

I can see that! infact, I'd say thats a pretty tight reference

Rule of cool I understand, but on New Detroit street level, why would a car require a Laser cannon? isn't that like driving around the city with a .50 cal strapped to your roof? Maybe its a police vehicle?

Rule of cool I understand, but on New Detroit street level, why would a car require a Laser cannon? isn't that like driving around the city with a .50 cal strapped to your roof? Maybe its a police vehicle?
New Detroit. Just like Old Detroit.

Took a while to remember a login I haven't used in years...

The New Constantinople CAR model(s) - they remind me of Total Recall Johnny Cabs. Something about the front?

Back