Latest Poll Result

climber

Spaceman
Hey chaps. I don't really see the appeal of the post WCP era. To my mind the earlier wing games had a lot more scope for imagination on behalf of the player. Developing that timeline would be great, it seems to be the time when there is a gap in what most people know about WC, well me anyway.

A mod covering some of the time between WC1 and 2, perhaps covering the time up until the claw is destroyed would be great. Post WCP does not really leave a lot to the imagination. Not to me anyway

Wing Commander really started for me with WCP.

I have myself many ideas for what could of happened in this time period. I guess the reason im interested in it is because it is such an open slate for new stories and the like...

i agree with you, climber.

i've only played the first four games, the first two being my favorites, and wcp and post-wcp just doesn't look as interesting as the wc1-2 era.

climber said:
Post WCP does not really leave a lot to the imagination. Not to me anyway
Not sure how you reason that. While we may not know everything that happened between wc1 and wc2, we know how it turned out. We know the results. The Claw blew up, the war continued etc. You can make up events, but they can't conflict with the things we know will eventually happen. After WCP, anything could have happened.

I prefer the wc1-wc2 era myself, but it is more limited. Propose anything, and watch it get shot down because it doesn't match some minor point in a novel or game.

by leaving things to the imagination I refer to the story making. WCP had technologies that just seemed too well developed along with the film being used I have to say that the timescale just leaves me hoping for the olden days.

Most modern views of space are pretty grim and all films make it seem dark and foreboding, the WC movie and many others. StarTrek is a little less grim but I just find the wc1 - wc2 era more exciting, more full of promise, less dark and depressing. I found priv2 extremely depressing.

I would normally be inclined to agree with the post-WCP line of thought, except that I didn't have much fun fighting the Nephilim. The Kilrathi, on the other hand, were an excellent adversary. I suppose my proposal for a new game would be in the pre-Custer's Carnival days so that you could have whole new types of ships. Plus, the dynamic of combat would be a lot different without adequate shields and many of the other advances made in the later games. Plus, the Macauliffe campaign and Custer's Carnival would make for fun gaming.

climber said:
by leaving things to the imagination I refer to the story making. WCP had technologies that just seemed too well developed along with the film being used ...
I see what you mean. Easy anwer: make a post WCP game that doesn't use film. Use brightly coloured talking head sprites, or even sprites for ships ;)

Just because it is set after WCP doesn't mean you have to use WCPs engine, or its style of using film, or it being dark or whatever. Within reason, it can look however you like.

I think a post-WCP game would be fun, and it wouldn't necessarily have to involve the nephilim- it could be the player against any adversary (confed, border worlds, kilrathi, etc.)- (I actually think a post-WCP game where you play as a member of a rebel Kilrathi faction fighting the Borderworlds or Confed would be fantastic)

The downside to doing a pre-WC2 game is just the sheer lack of technology in that era compared to WC2 and beyond- very few types of fighter guns, no bombers, no torpedoes, no cloaks, etc.- Yeah, the game play would be different, but I also think the game play would be really monotonous, as the missions you fly would be limited to those possible with WC1 era technology (or worse, provided a pre-WC1 era game was made). Oh, and the statement about how "the outcome of the battles is already predetermined by WC canon" also holds true for preWC1 and WC1 games- one just wouldn't be able to take very much creative license with the storyline.

Edx said:
mamiya, I dont think climber was talking about the game engine ;)
Did you stop reading my post at the word "engine" and decide you absolutely had to correct some misconception on my part? Note the "or" that came next :D

I'm still trying to figure out what he is talking about. Potential storylines are a lot more open post WCP, but he doesn't seem to want to go there because of "the film being used" or it being "dark" or something. I am pointing out that a post WCP game does not have to be that way. As an example of how a post WCP game doesn't have to be like WCP, I pointed out that it can use a different engine. If it was moddable, you could use the WC2 engine to make a post WCP game. Or you could use bright graphics in Vision, and leave stuff up to the imagination. My point remains that post WCP is open while wc1-wc2 is not, any complaints about WCP up to and including the engine (and feel and storrytelling etc) can be worked around.

There's so much that we don't know about the Nephilim yet and I'm eager to find out more. The Nephilim force in Prophecy was only a scout force so there's obviously alot more to them...

MamiyaOtaru said:
After WCP, anything could have happened.

Until another game comes out and everyone laughs at you because your stuff looks idiotic now (see: Aces)

TC said:
Until another game comes out and everyone laughs at you because your stuff looks idiotic now (see: Aces)

It's kind of funny that the game with the craziest, most blantant storyline taught the fans about subtlty in writing their spinoffs.

(The *Union* has to fight the evil *Confederation*! And you know they're evil because... Nazis!)

MamiyaOtaru said:
Did you stop reading my post at the word "engine" and decide you absolutely had to correct some misconception on my part? Note the "or" that came next :D

:p Actually I did. But reading it again I think I understand you now :D . I agree with you though and there are lots of good stories one could write, but then lack of stories isnt the reason many mods dont exist for WC.

It just needs imagination people! :cool:

Ed

TC said:

Well just write something that leaves it open for another game to come along and not screw your story completly. It is possible.

Ed

I think the pre-WC1 timeline has as much potential for good storytelling as the post-WCP does. Sure, you don't have OMFGCLOAK or the ability to say things like "and then the Sino-Eurasian Bloc ruled the world oppressedly ever after, at least until a group of rampaging kilrathi decided they were tasty enough for a Sivar-Eshrad ceremony."... but you do have the freedom to ponder the logical progression of weapons, work with the ancestry of ships, and figure out some down-and-gritty space battling technique. I've been toying around with some of the ideas for a year or so myself... eventually I plan to learn modelling well enough to implement ship designs and background fluff, and perhaps even inflict them upon the general WC community.

Back