Language used for Wing Commander Prophecy/Secret Ops source codes

Kelly St

Spaceman
Hi! It's me again, Kelly. Thanks for replying to my earlier post today. Now a new issue has come up. I'd like to know what computer programming language the games Wing Commander Prophecy and Wing Commander Secret Ops was written in so I can maybe use a reverse compiler to convert it back into source code so I can program my own cheat codes into these 2 games since I'm having a difficult time completing the missions (that is, destroying enemy ships), and if I input my own cheat codes into the game, then I'd enjoy them more because I'd win them. Thanks!

I'm sure it'd be a lot easier to just practice some more.

I think Prophecy was written in C. Good luck getting something intelligible out of a decompiler, though.

He's looking for the source code, the "skeleton" that the game is made of, not a cheat code.

But yeah, there's pretty much zero chance of decompiling something as complex as Prophecy. There'a a reason why people don't run popular games through decompilers when they're developing mods - it's just a process that hasn't worked since the early eighties.

Kelly St said:
... convert it back into source code so I can program my own cheat codes into these 2 games ...

If you want to create you cheat and know how to program in c++, you can get a small program, in the LSL7 section, with source code containing a class to edit memory of another program. http://ayumi_chan15.tripod.com/
You can also check http://gamehacking.com/ for a lot of tools and articles on how to program you own trainer.

BTW, decompiling is extremely illegal, so I'd avoid that if I were you. ;)
http://www.cybercrime.gov/iplaws.htm

Kelly St said:
Hi! It's me again, Kelly. Thanks for replying to my earlier post today. Now a new issue has come up. I'd like to know what computer programming language the games Wing Commander Prophecy and Wing Commander Secret Ops was written in so I can maybe use a reverse compiler to convert it back into source code so I can program my own cheat codes into these 2 games since I'm having a difficult time completing the missions (that is, destroying enemy ships), and if I input my own cheat codes into the game, then I'd enjoy them more because I'd win them. Thanks!
Ahahaha...

Look, if you even have to ask what language it was written in then there's no way you've got the technical knowledge to not only successfully decompile Prophecy into anything intelligable, but ALSO "program in cheat codes". Sorry to be blunt.

Besides, don't they encrypt programs so you CAN'T decompile them successfully? At least, I remember that being an issue back in the late 1990's...

Quite possibly. But they would have to decode themself in order to run so you can use the same decoding engine that has to be unencrypted in the file. Nothing more then a bit delay, really.

It can be fun to use cheats and exploits after you have finished a game by legit means in order to play around a little bit.

After I beat Doom 3 I restarted the game and used no clipping and all weapons so I could kill people walking around in the intro. Even killed Sarge with one bullet between the eyes. It's funny because nobody around seems to care when someone gets shot.

Cheating and exploiting is not cool in multiplayer though if it will ruin someone else's experience.

Maj. Striker and Fruitcake, don't tell me you've never used a code in a game before to get extra lives or become invincible either to help you beat a game or just for fun? I do agree that it shouldn't be allowed in multiplayer games, but it can be fun or useful in single player games.

Ah i still remember using the Konami code to get extra lives in Contra....

i'm very aware of what a source code is, but i didn't want to offend this lad at his brave attempt, and even if he did had the resources and knowledge to reverse-engineer prophecy, it would be ludicrous to do so just so he can add a function that's already present in the game itself.

cheating your way through a game is bad, but being able to skip it if you really can't make it past, is not.. in most games you would have to cheat your way through, but for example "crimson skies" allows you to skip missions after a few retry's...

which is a good thing if your'e not that good at a game you purchased, at least you can be able to finish it if you lack the talents, or a mission is so terribly impossible you want to throw your system through the window....

ck9791 said:
Maj. Striker and Fruitcake, don't tell me you've never used a code in a game before to get extra lives or become invincible either to help you beat a game or just for fun? I do agree that it shouldn't be allowed in multiplayer games, but it can be fun or useful in single player games.

Ah i still remember using the Konami code to get extra lives in Contra....

I never said I've never used a cheat...although I certainly don't ever remember one. My point was specifically regarding Multiplayer games only.

Mace said:
cheating your way through a game is bad, but being able to skip it if you really can't make it past, is not.. in most games you would have to cheat your way through, but for example "crimson skies" allows you to skip missions after a few retry's...

which is a good thing if your'e not that good at a game you purchased, at least you can be able to finish it if you lack the talents, or a mission is so terribly impossible you want to throw your system through the window....

Gotta go along with this line of thinking. I don't like cheating, but I've used cheat codes in games before- only after I'd slowly realized and reluctantly admitted to myself that I was stuck or facing a task or mission that I simply couldn't complete. Similarly, I bought the hint book for Doom 3. Thus far I haven't needed it, but I'll go back and read the walk-through for a given level after I've finished it to see if I missed anything.

walkthroughs are almost cheating imo, but then again they ar emore like hints. yeah never use cheats in multiplayer, it sucks for everyone else.

Back