Jutland Question

From what I've seen and heard of EA's willingness to try to throw us (the Wing Commander fan community) so many bones in design of their games and other materials, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the writers of the hypothetical Wing Commander 7 or other future Wing Commander products take successful, popular, and widely distributed fan projects like Standoff into account, in addition to the official canon. Of course they don't have to since it's not canon, but I suspect that they might. And in doing so would make some of the modders decisions part of the canon in the future. Hasn't that already happened with some of the things in Standoff?

Fighter designations were taken from Standoff and made "canon" in S*S.

While I think future developers will certainly pay homage to the WC fan/mod community I don't think you'll see them incorporating them into the timeline. You might see a mention or two saying "hey thanks for keeping WC alive!" but you won't see them working the mods stories into the overall universe. That's a bit too much...

Aside from the player's story, the Firekka's story, and the filled in details in places, most of Standoff is canon (well based on canon anyway).

Aside from the player's story, the Firekka's story, and the filled in details in places, most of Standoff is canon (well based on canon anyway).

There is a term for this, called "fanon". That is, "fan based concepts that people tend to agree on that isn't exactly canon but doesn't contradict it."

Iceblade is right, Standoff is *based* on canon, its based on the events of the Fleet Action novel. Btw I always wondered, why was it called Standoff?

To be honest, I'm with LOAF on this one. Something being canon matters a lot less than something being enjoyable.

When my WC1 editor is complete should I not make a new campaign or two, just because it might not be canon?

Back