I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

And so, do you know if it's external subtitle files or it's embedded?
If it's embedded, would you be OK to remaster them?

I don't know the details but I'm under the impression that German was the main non-English dub because of WC's popularity there. French, not so much. Could simply be that Prophecy missed out, as you say.

And so, do you know if it's external subtitle files or it's embedded?
If it's embedded, would you be OK to remaster them?
I don't, sorry - but, given that the systems already existed in-game to display subtitles optionally for English, I'd be very surprised if the French subtitles were embedded into the videos for the French release. It would make a lot more sense to use the existing subtitle settings and just set them to "on" by default

I don't, sorry - but, given that the systems already existed in-game to display subtitles optionally for English, I'd be very surprised if the French subtitles were embedded into the videos for the French release. It would make a lot more sense to use the existing subtitle settings and just set them to "on" by default
WC3, 4, and Prophecy (including the US releases) all have German and French text in the games. All the UI info and other text including subtitles should be able to be switched to French and this should include the movies.

For Prophecy specifically, you would go to the game directory and then edit the file "language.iff", with a text editor.

Replace the word "english" by "french" or "german" and that should change it to your desired language.

WC3, 4, and Prophecy (including the US releases) all have German and French text in the games. All the UI info and other text including subtitles should be able to be switched to French and this should include the movies.

For Prophecy specifically, you would go to the game directory and then edit the file "language.iff", with a text editor.

Replace the word "english" by "french" or "german" and that should change it to your desired language.

For WC4 the subtitles are any easy to parse single subtitle file, for WC3 they are embedded into the movie its self.
As always I don't have the time for more projects, but I'm happy to give the subtitle parsing code to anyone who wants to take it on themselves.

Sorry mate, you just unearth a chillhood memory, you can't came out unscathed ;-)
Thank you (and your scripts) again for your wonderful job

Hey ODVS, what is the current status of the remasters? Are the download links in this thread the latest versions? Is anyone working on trying to get the WC3 movies integrated into the game? Has anyone been working on the issue of the WCP movies not playing in full screen?

Yeah, that was a lot of questions. ;)

The WC3 in-game restored video playing can't be done till the software game part is hacked. The actual/original executable can't play other (very) restricted video codec/format than embedded one. So we need someone who could extract the game part and add modern way of playing video like WC4 can do.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Back