It's me or Darskstar One's ships looks like P2 ones?

Ghost

Emperor
p2faldari.png

darkstar-one-20060626104333863.jpg

p2demon.png

darkstar-one-20060626104335629.jpg

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Heretic (P2's "Cover ship") looks even more like that first ship you posted.

Well, P2 is a big EU-made Space sim, and there is a chance that an artist worked on both.

or maybe they're just ripping P2 off...

That first design is not really THE most original one.

Edfilho said:
or maybe they're just ripping P2 off...

That first design is not really THE most original one.

Darkstar One is certainly not seeping with originality. My biggest problem with the game is the horrible stutters and screen freezes.

There is a patch for that.

You can't land on planets, only on spacestation..and there isn't a single bar or place to talk with other NPC.

the game motto is "Freelance...done well"
I don't think so, it seems that has less options than FL, the only good things it is that your ships is fully customizable with more than 200 thingies.

Ghost said:
the game motto is "Freelance...done well"

I found Freelancer was done well and that all the complaints I've seen against it are simple generic internet whining by people who have no real right to complain about anything.

Ghost said:
There is a patch for that.

Besides the fact that the forum authorities that be claimed it was fixed for NA/UK release... the patch did not fix the problem for me. It just seems to take longer for it to start happening. Better than nothing, I guess.

As for 'Freelancer done right,' that really just seems like a marketing magical phrase, like 'spritual successor.' I honestly couldn't see much similarity between the games beyond the fact that they both have lots of action and take place in space.

If Darkstar One proves to be as good as Freelancer it'll be a victory. Anyway, while those two ships do look similar, the design is fairly generic on it own right.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means but it's a nice distraction from playing Call Of Duty.

Something good DS1 did was that it gives the player the choise about flying with a joystick or with a mouse and not force you to use one or the other.
Sadly the game stutters so much on my system, even with patch, that I stopped playing it very early...and I hoped so to find some fun in flying around in space again with joystick support.

About the ships design...even if its gerneric..I like it. I think its not so importend if you have seen the design a hundret times..its the question if you like what you are seeing and I do. At least for the first design. The second ins't realy to my likeing.

Laaame!

I've been quiet on the forums for quite some time but I am breaking my silence now to warn all others away from Darkstar. This game is terrible! "Generic everything" is a better coin phrase for the game. The voice acting is lame, ships are very basic looking, and the story line was weak at best. After playing the gmae for three hours I have now decided to put the disk back in the box and go back to playing Battlefield and Freelancer online. There was nothing better about Darkstar except the character animation in the cut scenes as it should be four years after the release of Freelancer. THe only redeaming quality of the game is the navigation system and the divided factional space areas. Hardly enough to make the game addicting and/or playable. I wish EA would get their collective heads out of thier asses and get the WC team back together and do another Wing Commander or Privateer game with online capabilities. Hats off to the fans who have been working on those very things in lieu of the real released thing.

This has been discussed in a previous thread, EA has worked on several WC projects not 6 years ago but 2 years ago. They're waiting for the return of space-sims as a major market. What with the increasing amount of titles coming from Germany and other European countries I think it's only a matter of time till one of them hits the 'sweet spot' and revives the market. We just have to wait for that, or whatever other form of return space-sims will have, to come.

Quarto said:
No, LeHah is the only one that could ;).

Actually, I thought FL was pretty amazing... except for the weird aliens that messed up the wonderful conspiracy story and the ship balance, of course.:)

yeah, the game was going so well, then the stupid alien part ruined the plot. But I really liked FL anyway

The alien part ruined the story. Did anyone ever saw the "original" intro that were edited into the one that actually was used? The aliens destroyed Earth just after the colony ships left.

hmm, i've had none of these stutters - wierd - anyway the game is indeed the king of genericity but a generic game that ticks all the boxes is still one i want to play.

Certainly its less silly in places than the X games, and whilst the combat is worse than freespaces and the story not as deep or enriching as wc's its still an enjoyable way to pass a few hours. I especially liked smuggling - that you could see on the map which items were illegal in a system and which they made.

I cant comment on the freelancer issue as ive never managed to get the final mission of starlancer to work (damn it) - it always crashes as the final petrovic brother jumps in.

if anyone can fix that btw i would be eternally grateful!

Back