Is UE out yet

Haha... ok... I promise.... no techno.

The closest is the distortion guitar that occasionally doubles the orch hits or on a melody that needs to come out very strong over A LOT of background. It's used sparingly, and always in an orchestral, not techno style. In fact, contemporary orchestras, movie orchestras, and video game orchestras use distortion and accustic guitars a lot these days. When it's used it's used as an orchestral instrument, and in an orchestral style.

Originally posted by Quarto
It's not your choice to make, and don't assume it will ruin his experience. I'd be very worried indeed if music was all that UE had going for it, but I know that's not the case :). Besides, you can't force someone to play with music - there's always the volume control in the game.

Firstly I'm supposed to be the head and able to resume command at any time I see fit, more than once I've been highly tempted, secondly Ghost is proving my point.
Atleast included in the basic package they'd likely TRY the music before turning it off, simple fact is theres a reason why almost every single movie and game has a soundtrack and if I have to spell it out to you then I doubt you'd ever understand. The best way I can put it is that music is the only artform which will conjure up atleast SOME emotion for EVERYBODY, if you can enjoy yourself shooting at a bunch of polygons then hurrah, but with the right music things can come alive, I think michael captured this beautifully.

I really feel like I'm fighting for my own survival, not just that of some information stored in my computers memory because the music is there to help you feel what you're supposed to, now with nothing to back it up it wouldn't work, just like a game with no music to back it up wouldn't work, couldn't work.

WC1 worked without speech, WC1+2 without FMV, no WC could in my opinion ever be wing commander without music.

Thanks Pedro... I tried :)

Again... I'm very biased... but I completely agree with everything Pedro said... I won't get all phillosophical with my theories on music (if you want... look at a page on my personal site... http://www.needaham.homestead.com/midis.html... that lists them all), but music can seriously make or break ANYTHING. Games/Movies/TV shows NEED music in my opinion.. and as Pedro said, WC without music isn't WC.

Originally posted by Pedro
I really feel like I'm fighting for my own survival, not just that of some information stored in my computers memory because the music is there to help you feel what you're supposed to, now with nothing to back it up it wouldn't work, just like a game with no music to back it up wouldn't work, couldn't work.

WC1 worked without speech, WC1+2 without FMV, no WC could in my opinion ever be wing commander without music.

Wow... someone's being overdramatic :)

Just let people decide what they want to do... It's a real boundary for people with bad connections. I never would have downloaded a 40-50 meg file that I wasn't anticipating like crazy when I had dialup. By forcing people to, you'd just be limiting your audience for no reason. People with the bandwidth available won't even think twice about downloading 80 megs.

Is to complicated to make? :
1) Full version: music,speech,movies.
2) Less-than-full-version:movies
3)Naked Version:juest the game with the SFX.

And i agree with Needaham, with the right music any experience can be improved, sadly few games have good music, that is the reason that when i play computer games, i put some CD or the radio.

I wish people would stop bashing Cobalt 60's music. Just say you don't like it and leave it at that. Sure, it doesn't sound like the Wing Commanders we're used to, but what's the big deal about that?

From what I heard of UE's music from the download samples made available, I didn't really find it that exciting, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. But I would still want to have it as part of the package, because otherwise I'd feel as though I was missing out on something.

If it was possible, I'd prefer to have the components made available separately. But I don't know how many components there are, or how big each segment is. Essential + Movies + Music + Speech perhaps?

Also, I probably wouldn't be able to use download managers (don't really trust them anyway - spyware, viruses, trojans, etc) because while you guys might have control over all your computers, my dad still has the final say on what happens on the computers connected to the Internet. For the same reason, I may or may not be able to leave the computer online all night, especially for a non-study related purpose. Don't knock me, I have to live with it.

BTW, Needaham, took me a while to realise that the link to your site needed to drop the "..." at the end. You're obviously very passionate about your music, but if you want to look 'professional', you should probably spell "maestro", "premiere", "definitions", and "philosophies" properly. ;) Just trying to be helpful.

Bandit, you nut. :D
Personally, I believe Cobalt60's music fit with the premise. A new generation of pilots, a new enemy, a new war... and new musical stylings to show that this isn't your old Col. Chris Blair combat. This was something new. Then again, it might just be the insomnia talking.

THANK YOU!!!
Now only another 7 hours before I finish downloading it!!

Well done to everyone who has been involved.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yeah, Ghost is right, we need a Naked Version.

What game are we talking about?

That´s the kind of thoughts that came to his mind when he started choosing Wing Commander over your girlfriend...

Originally posted by Starkey

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yeah, Ghost is right, we need a Naked Version.

What game are we talking about?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That´s the kind of thoughts that came to his mind when he started choosing Wing Commander over your girlfriend...

Hey i not choosed LOAF´s girlfriend, be careful with your keyboard.

Originally posted by Manic
Personally, I believe Cobalt60's music fit with the premise. A new generation of pilots, a new enemy, a new war... and new musical stylings to show that this isn't your old Col. Chris Blair combat. This was something new.
Ah, no, I think this was reflected in the Oldziey's music for WCP which differed significantly in style compared to WC3/4. Cobalt 60's stuff was made the simulator an interesting diversion - but with SO being made for free, it makes sense for Origin to recycle the music. I agree Cobalt 60 is not entirely suited for SO (I used Locke's music patch to use the orchestral music from WCP), but that doesn't mean I don't like it just because of that.

Originally posted by Wedge009
BTW, Needaham, took me a while to realise that the link to your site needed to drop the "..." at the end. You're obviously very passionate about your music, but if you want to look 'professional', you should probably spell "maestro", "premiere", "definitions", and "philosophies" properly. ;) Just trying to be helpful.

LOLOL!!!!! Ok... you figured out my weakness. I can compose a song, but I can't spell. When I was a little kid, I ALWAYS failed my spelling quizes. It's just something I could never do. A lot of these errors I have noticed though, I just haven't had the chance to correct them. That is also why many of my more recent compositions are not on the page.

You are right, I am very pationate about any music, not just my own. Again, I'm not going to get into it here, check out the page.

As for a professional look... my page has always been more of a thing between my friends (who know I can't spell) and I. I am working on getting a serious page (as I'm working to become a published artist)... but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Originally posted by Ghost
Hey i not choosed LOAF´s girlfriend, be careful with your keyboard.

You got me on that writing error, Ghost... But you know I was not making a joke about Kerri-Lee, I was referring to a recent post of yours in the General CZ. ;)

Back