Iron Chef/Catscratch

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
That's pretty interesting. I wonder why that Mark guy has been chosen to host Iron Chef America? I am a big fan of the original Japanese Iron Chef and I always thought the American one was an abomination of the original. But I think this episode is where the actual Iron Chefs such as Sakai and Morimoto are going against some of the American ones like Bobby Flay. Stupid Bobby Flay.

I thought it was weird in WC4 how after you decide to save Catscratch or let him die, either way after the next cutscene you never see him again.

By the way, has anyone seen that Brotherhood of the Wolf movie? I remember wanting to see that when it came out but I never did.

Is it Bart? Is it really?

Interestingly enough, I found out just now that the guy who plays Catscratch is actually the nephew of Chairman Kaga the original founder of Iron Chef. I wish some of you were big Iron Chef fans though. It's always fun to talk about that show.

I thought it was weird in WC4 how after you decide to save Catscratch or let him die, either way after the next cutscene you never see him again.

I imagine they were too cheap to film a scene with him and a scene without him.

I don't think it was so much a money issue as much as it was a gameplay issue. Doubling every scene through the end of WCIV would take roughly twice as much storage space (2-3 more CDs, and then the impact on the game itself by adding more disc switching).

Iron Chef is awesome! I don't watch as much as I used to... but it was still great. I haven't seen the american one though, but I have a feeling it sucks. Only because American network execs have a habit of importing a show and just screwing it all up.

Shipgate said:
Interestingly enough, I found out just now that the guy who plays Catscratch is actually the nephew of Chairman Kaga the original founder of Iron Chef. I wish some of you were big Iron Chef fans though. It's always fun to talk about that show.

Myself, I'm a huge Iron Chef fan. Actually, Takeshi Kaga is just an actor, the whole back story of Iron Chef is just that, a story. I seriously doubt that Catscratch is really his nephew, its just the backstory for the American version.

What's sad is that his acting on the show was so stiff. He just wasn't cool enough to be chairmain IMO. I guess he might get better as the series progresses.

Also, while Alton Brown is awesome as the Dr. Hattori type commentator, the guy on the floor just sucks. He dosen't even know what foie gras looks like :rolleyes:

Anyways, if anyone is in the Philly area, go and get a large amount of cash and go to Morimoto, Iron Chef Morimoto's resturaunt. It is fricking awesome.

-B

Shipgate said:
I am a big fan of the original Japanese Iron Chef and I always thought the American one was an abomination of the original.

That was mostly Bill Shatner's fault. :D This new incarnation of the show with Mark Dacascos was pretty well done, IMO. Nothing can top the orignal though.

Kaga? Wha?

Well, I knew Kaga was originally an actor. He talks all about how he is. But I still believed that him and some other people conceptualized the show. Are you saying even the story of how he dreamed of kitchen stadium is also fake?

What is this Iron Chef stuff? never heard of it.

Brotherhood of the wolves is cool, even if kinda strange in a french-action-movie way. Like delicatessen, you know.

Shipgate said:
Well, I knew Kaga was originally an actor. He talks all about how he is. But I still believed that him and some other people conceptualized the show. Are you saying even the story of how he dreamed of kitchen stadium is also fake?

Yes, it's ALL fake. The only 'real' part is that Kaga's a real person, using his real/stage name on the show, and that he had to work out a lot between seasons to avoid becoming as rotund as some of the challengers.

Everything else is fiction, save for the Iron Chefs - they're real chefs, who all had restaurants or worked in others' for some time (save Iron Chef Italian, who was recruited directly out of school in Italy). At first, the show was considered a bit of a joke... but eventually real hotel owners and restaurant managers were pushing their top chefs to apply to be challengers on Iron Chef, since the series became quite popular due to its unique spin on cooking shows.

And it's best not to talk about the rock-music horror that was Iron Chef America under Shatner.

You couldn't stand the horrible voiceovers? Crowley, the horrible voiceovers are what make the show so excellent. Well, that and the opening sequence where the host picks up the yellow pepper, takes a bite, and smiles maniacally at the camera.

Nappydman said:
You couldn't stand the horrible voiceovers? Crowley, the horrible voiceovers are what make the show so excellent. Well, that and the opening sequence where the host picks up the yellow pepper, takes a bite, and smiles maniacally at the camera.

I'd have to agree completely with that.... The voiceovers leave me mesmerised in disbeilef for reasons I just dont understand - before I know it the shows over.

I actually loved watching the old Iron Chef episodes on my local channel 26 in the SF area. They had subtitled it and you had to be a fast reader sometimes but it was great. Just as I started to get really interested the subtitles stopped, after Koumei Nakamura retired as Iron Chef Japan. Subtitled. Way better!

AdmiralHuang said:
So Catscratch isn't Kaga's nephew? (IRL, I mean) Darn it! That would have been cool!

Marc Dacascos' mother, Moriko McVey, may have been half-Japanese and half-Irish, but that doesn't mean very much. I think it was just for the show's purposes that he was 'related' to Kaga. Not that it helped them out much, from what I've heard.

Back