IGNpoll

Eh, well, Rebel Assault is kind of separate... it's not one of the Larry Holland games...

My favorite is X-Wing (it's very challenging and did a great job of rewarding the player) followed by TIE Fighter (loved all the secondary objective stuff... got brought down by a) the ease of the training missions and b) the horrible, horrible admiral-after-admiral-defects story). I never got into the later ones -- the textures bugged me... like they'd painted glop over the original games nifty 3D-shape ships.

As for Rebel Assault, I'll admit to being absolutely enthralled with it when it came out. It was one of the first games I bought for my 486 back in 'the day', and it holds a special place in my heart. Playing it again recently (the 3DO version), it's hasn't withstood the test of time like Hollands games have.

Rebel Assault II is a completely different story -- it's one of the worst games ever made. Completely derivative of the original... and it has the *worst* acting/ending in the history of computer games. "We captured the enemy fighter!" "Oh, good. Lets kiss!" "Oh no, the fighter exploded for some reason." THE END.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Eh, well, Rebel Assault is kind of separate... it's not one of the Larry Holland games...

My favorite is X-Wing (it's very challenging and did a great job of rewarding the player) followed by TIE Fighter (loved all the secondary objective stuff... got brought down by a) the ease of the training missions and b) the horrible, horrible admiral-after-admiral-defects story). I never got into the later ones -- the textures bugged me... like they'd painted glop over the original games nifty 3D-shape ships.

As for Rebel Assault, I'll admit to being absolutely enthralled with it when it came out. It was one of the first games I bought for my 486 back in 'the day', and it holds a special place in my heart. Playing it again recently (the 3DO version), it's hasn't withstood the test of time like Hollands games have.

Rebel Assault II is a completely different story -- it's one of the worst games ever made. Completely derivative of the original... and it has the *worst* acting/ending in the history of computer games. "We captured the enemy fighter!" "Oh, good. Lets kiss!" "Oh no, the fighter exploded for some reason." THE END.

I never had the, err, pleasure of playing RA2. I haven't played RA1 since my DOS days. I remember playing X-Wing games after wing commander games, and having to unlearn my normal series of space-fight acrtions. What I used in one game would undoubtably get me killed in the other... Then I discovered SAM AND MAX, and my space-sim days took a two-year point-and-click hiatus. WC4 brought me back in, though. Then I decided to rediscover WC3 on my PSX.

Wow, it took you two years to win Sam & Max? Or did you just really, really like that traffic sign jumping mini-game?

I've been playing all the console games recently... and WC3 PSX is undoubtably the worst WC port (G)

Lucasarts used to make the best games in any genre, period. Sam and Max is one of my favorites, along with the original Monkey Island. When it comes to space sims, though, there's really not much other than WC to me, apart from the X-Wing series.
TIE Fighter would probably the best of them all, if the campaigns actually spent more time focused on killing rebels than on killing double-crossing Imperials. :p Because of that I think X-Wing Alliance is a better game... the gameplay is just as great as the others, but the storyline is overall more consistent (except for that last mission, where Lando's suddenly gone, and Ace Whoever just decides to go and pilot the Falcon. bah.)

--Eder

X-Wing and Tie fighter are great, i like more Tie Fighter than X-Wing,both stories are goos (despite the, as LOAF said, the Admiral-after-Admiral defeats story and how you must fly against rogue imperial guys to look like you are the good guy)
Allianc was good, good graphics but the story wasn´t so great and the trophies were crap

LOAF I recently bought Wc3 PSX cause I dont have a PC to play WC.It really sucks..But the FMVs have better quality than the PC version.

The X-wing series is just great.X-wing was the most challening,TIE-fighter was a little easier and X-wing Vs TIE Fighter sucked (except of the great graphics) without the Balance of Power Expansion.I havent played X-wing alliance yet.

The simulations are good....the new trilogy not!!:D

Originally posted by Ghost
Allianc was good, good graphics but the story wasn´t so great and the trophies were crap

Yeah, those trophies were pretty lame. They were definitely "out of place" to say the least :p

--Eder

Definitely. What kind of sick freak would simply go out and grab a piece of debris from a ship he had just destroyed.... and then hang it on his bedroom's wall? :(

--Eder

you have to collect something when you're all alone in space... far, far away... not just stamps, no... space debris!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Wow, it took you two years to win Sam & Max? Or did you just really, really like that traffic sign jumping mini-game?

I've been playing all the console games recently... and WC3 PSX is undoubtably the worst WC port (G)

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. No matter how bad WC3 PSX might be(and I thought it was decent, by the way) WC4 PSX is infinitely worse.:)
Hmmm... I think you know what I meant. But just in case some people didn't, I meant that I started away from space sims and FPSs and the like to play more adventure games and FMV games and RPGs. Some of my favorites:

Cadash TG16; Order of the Griffon TG16; FF6 SNES; Sam and Max;The DIG; The Lufias; Full throttle; Toonstruck; FF7PSX; Beneath a Steel Sky Amiga; Maniac Mansion Amiga; Flashback; 7th Guest; Eleventh Hour; LOOM; Zack McKracken; Monkey Island 1-3; Legend of Kyrandias 1,2,3; Return to Zork; Zork Nemesis; Frankenstein through the Eyes of the Monster; Spycraft; etc., etc. Also rediscovered my favorite text adventures and old-school sierra adventures: Kq 1-6(let us not discuss 7): Quest for glory 1-5;Hitchhiker's Guide(finally beat it!); Zork, Zork, and more Zork; Quarter Staff(one of my favorite text adventures ever!) SQ1-6(RIP); KQ VGA!

They all rock. Two years of puzzles before rejoining the world of Wing Commander. Sam and Max took me three days, a Sat., a Sun., and a Mon. night.

Actually, I rather like WCIV PSX... it has some original bits, and it's even okay to play with a normal dual-shock controller. The analog control is absolutely wonderful compared to WC3.

I just picked up a Sony Dual Analog Joystick for my PSOne... something WCIV is designed specifically to work with. I'm going to try it out tonight -- but if it works half as well as the stick itself looks, I'm happy!

Originally posted by TC
Wow, why would WC4 PSX be worse?

Presentation-wise, they had to shrink wrap so much more. WC3 looks okay to me because it wasn't that far graphicly from the PSone in the first place. WC4, though, had many graphical improvements on the PC in terms of textures and video compression, and not only did these improvements not translate to the PSX version, but the overall feel(especially in battle) was clunky and disjointed. If you don't believe me, go rent it for yourself. However, I concede the control point-- I never got an analog controller, so I suppose I'm in no position to to argue the merits of lack thereof of WC4's control. However, on a digital layout, WC3 is superior in every way. WC4 just feels so much more... Well, messy. Less well-presented. To me, presentation is too large a factor in WC games to overlook such a flaw. Of course, the "Space station" part was a pretty clever work around a groun mission, I must say-- it still plays choppy, though. I shall try it with an analog stick, though, and see how it works for me. I should have reserved judgement until I did so-- I am humbled.:)

Ill buy it if I find it then. :D

But there are no new Scenes as in WC3 PSX version.......

The one good thing about the PSX WC4 version is the movie code. I think it was Up, Down, Down, Up, R2 at the "Planet" WC4 screen and it would bring up a menu of the movies (by number).

It helps when you want to access something right quick.

Back