Idea about Privateer

SpaceInvader

Spaceman
I was recently browsing the 'net and came across a site which was a bunch of people who made an engine for another Origin game, Ultima 7, which made it runnable under Windows (and other OSs). Why doesn't someone do this for Privateer? I know someone's trying to patch the EXE, but this would be even better! I'm not sure, but Ultima 7 may even have used the same memory manager as Priv.

sorry man... we've been thre, tried that.. and it don't work, Ultima 7 uses DPMI but not JEMM to run. privateer on the other hand needs full realmode CPU access to implement JEMM. only way to do that is to completely emulate an intel x86 CPU. and as anyone who's tried an x86 emulator knows.... they're damn slow..
my advice... save and buy a 2.5ghz + pc and buy virtualpc for windows, cause at the moment that's the only way you'll get it to work.

Originally posted by Darkmage
save and buy a 2.5ghz + pc and buy virtualpc for windows, cause at the moment that's the only way you'll get it to work.

The smart person would, of course, save and buy a 486 and run DOS for $40 total... Or just use a bootdisk/DOS reboot, assuming you have a DOS readable partition somewhere.

depends on what you call smart... buying an outdated system that can run perhaps 5 wc games... or saving up for a new system that will run them ALL in windows without a reboot...

Well, yeah.. $40 for a dedicated WC machine is sorta worth it even if you already have a 2.5+ GHz computer.

Emm... I got a P4 2.4GHz and I play every WC game without Prob.
I got 2 partitions (Win98-WinXP) and I play every Wc at my Win98 partition.I can ran Privateer too but sometimes Its doesnt have sound.Not always...

The only real problem I got is Prophecy`s movies.Even with no acceleration,I got problem......
I recently formated my 2 partitions and Ill just put an older DirectX version on my Win98 partition and I think my Prophecy Problem will be solved..

So I can run every WC :)

Back