I just started my wing commander collection.......again

Derwheezie

Spaceman
I am fairly new to this forum, I have been a long time lurker, and new poster. I have played Wing commander from its inception in 1990, and have been a fan ever since.

I have owned atleast one copy of EVERy title, but alas, time and moves have dwindled my collection to one lonley copy of armada in a cracked jewel case.

Last night I went out on a limb and purchased a collection from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=62053&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&rd=1

I want to start a comprehensive collection of wing commander memorabilia, I figure this is a good start. I wondering what other items are out there? I know of numerous strategy guides, and I already own, and read, every novel except for the WC3 novel. I thought of no other authority better suited to lead me in the right direction then the knowledgeable people here in these forums. Any suggestions?

Well, what I can think of at the moment that are not in that collection are:
- WC IV DVD Version (double sided, single sided is just the 6 CDs on one DVD)
- WC Secret Ops (free anyway ;) )
That's it.
EDIT: Well, you can get KS for 100€ seperate if you look well enough, and if you don't have all other games, you easily pay for them over 75€ (shipping etc incl) so yes, indead great Deal :D

I have already bid on the DVD version of WC4, currently one day from ending. I have played Secret ops and it is awesome, I cant believe origin gave it away! It just goes to show their commitment to the fans, I think that is why these games have created such a following.

Fenris Ulven said:
wow, wonder what kind of people that sells a collection like that!

I was wondering the same thing, I asked the seller, and am waiting for the reply. Ill let you all know when I hear his reason. I know if I had a collection like that I would hold on to it.

The reason for the guy selling the collection was that he has no more time to play any games. I personally think he had some gambling debt and needed to pay off some loan shark before his legs were broken, just a thought.............

Spaghetti comic? Where can I find that? is it still in print?

wankski said:
wow, a collection like that is the reason why you should have a dedicated win95/dos WC machine.. :D

I know what you mean, I am planning to put back together an old celeron 333, its the slowest pc I have right now, hehe, never thought I would be looking for the slowest. But yeah, I was going to sell it but now have changed my mind, I even dug around and found my old CH Flighstick, I hope it still works, I cant test it on my new pc, no game port.

I am hoping with that PC and win95, and a trusty dos bootdisk, I will be able to play all of them again and party like its 1992!

You normally should be able to do so ;) - I have got a seperate K6-2 400MHz for WC, too :D - Although I now only need it for WC3 to get best results, which I could also play at another, more modern PC.
So you might want to first try out whether you get them working under you main PC. So far I got running perfectly under XP (PIV 3.067Ghz):
- WC1 +SM1/2 DOS Version via DOSBOX 0.61
- WC2 +SO1/2 DOS Version via DOSBOX 0.61
- Kilrathi Saga WC1/2 + addons
- WC IV (with Win95 Patch)
- WC IV DVD (with video patch offered in Techsupport Forum)
- WC V (with onboard soundcard to fix movies)
- WC SO
- WC Priv I
haven't got Priv II, but that one works under XP, too.
Oh, and normally WC3 KS also works great under XP, only some Pcs suffer crashing (See Techsupport). If you've got an AMD you shouldn't get that much trouble, though (cause no one knows of an AMD suffering crashes till now)
But I don't know about Academy and Armada. Guess they could work with DOSBox, too.

how did you get priv 1 to work under XP... i could get all the others going except for this..

hrmm what is this dosbox? can u provide a link?

cheers

Derwheezie said:
I know what you mean, I am planning to put back together an old celeron 333, its the slowest pc I have right now, hehe, never thought I would be looking for the slowest. But yeah, I was going to sell it but now have changed my mind, I even dug around and found my old CH Flighstick, I hope it still works, I cant test it on my new pc, no game port.

I am hoping with that PC and win95, and a trusty dos bootdisk, I will be able to play all of them again and party like its 1992!

lol, i know what u mean, i am only now lamenting the fact i sold a perfectly good AWE32 equipped c366 for $300 2 years ago or so.. eh, seemed like a good idea at the time :(

how did you get priv 1 to work under XP... i could get all the others going except for this..

hrmm what is this dosbox? can u provide a link?
Here's a link:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
In the config-File you need to set EMS=False, then it should work ;) - Also check the Tech-Support Forum, there are plenty Threads about how to get Privateer working in DOSBox ;)

THE_WUQKED said:
You normally should be able to do so ;) - I have got a seperate K6-2 400MHz for WC, too :D - Although I now only need it for WC3 to get best results, which I could also play at another, more modern PC.
So you might want to first try out whether you get them working under you main PC. So far I got running perfectly under XP (PIV 3.067Ghz):
- WC1 +SM1/2 DOS Version via DOSBOX 0.61
- WC2 +SO1/2 DOS Version via DOSBOX 0.61
- Kilrathi Saga WC1/2 + addons
- WC IV (with Win95 Patch)
- WC IV DVD (with video patch offered in Techsupport Forum)
- WC V (with onboard soundcard to fix movies)
- WC SO
- WC Priv I
haven't got Priv II, but that one works under XP, too.
Oh, and normally WC3 KS also works great under XP, only some Pcs suffer crashing (See Techsupport). If you've got an AMD you shouldn't get that much trouble, though (cause no one knows of an AMD suffering crashes till now)
But I don't know about Academy and Armada. Guess they could work with DOSBox, too.

Right now I am running an AMD Athalon XP 2500+ on an ECS K7VTA3 Rev8 motherboard, the only problem with my system is that it has integrated audio, and no game port, I am thinking that I may rummage around in the garage and find an old PCI soundblaster with a game port to put in here so I can use my joystick, Wing Commander is just no fun withought a joysitck.

Thank you for your knowledge, I didnt know you could run all of those games on a new computer. I have been looking through the forums, and other sites and have found dosbox, and some slowdown progs. hopefully I will be able to get them all running. I have come into problems before trying to run older games on my comp, because I like to run Win2k pro, its not to game friendly. but for more modern games, it works better than XP I think, I run a lean system, not a lot of startup programs to save on memory allocation.

wanski said:
lol, i know what u mean, i am only now lamenting the fact i sold a perfectly good AWE32 equipped c366 for $300 2 years ago or so.. eh, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Well atleast you got a good price for it, now I can only hope for 75 to 100 for it, plus it is only technically a celeron 300, I overclocked it to 333 when I first got it, it has run like a charm ever since. I only rescently upgraded, about a year ago, to my brothers C800. Big dissapointment, it seems that the newer celerons arent built like the old ones. I could play MOHAA on my C333 (on the lowest settings ofcourse) with the best of them, on the C800 I couldnt play at all. Ohh well you win some and lose some. Its good that I still have it though, Its my day off tomorrow and I am inspired to get it working again!

Well, I'm using an USB Joystick (MS Precision Pro) which works fine with all the games I mentioned ;)
And I'm also using an on-board soundcard as well as sometimes my USB Headset. But if you want to use your old Joystick, I guess getting another soundcard would be a good idea. - Although my M8 did that (he has got a NForce2) to use his Joystick via Gameport. And the (not so) funny thing is, the soundcard works fine, except for the Gameport :( (We already tried to different soundcard which work fine in other PCs, but no go.) But then again we didn't fiddle around that much with BIOS and that normally shouldn't / doesn't happen.

The games I have yet to get are:

WC I: Secret Missions I and II
WC II: Secret Operations I and II
WC III (PC)
WC IV (PC)
Academy
Secret Ops
Privateer I and II

Back