Houston, The Spirit has landed.

Meson

Swabbie
Banned
Since we're invading Mars agian, let's discuss it.

I hope Opportunity makes it all the way as well.

Yank? YANK?! I'll show YOU Yank! >(

*yanks Lynx's leg off* Yoink! :D

Back to the tissues at hand, did they find out why Beagle isn't working? I never got any news on that.

Hopefully Spirit finds clues about Martian wataaaa. Anyone think Opportunity will make it safe, too?

(More joke funny stuff, some reporter on the morning news wisecracked that maybe the Spirit rover can find the Beagle. D: )

I bet by the time we make a manned expedition to Mars, we'll have already covered the planet in rovers, with an entire fleet of sattelites orbiting the Martian sky...

Really amazing stuff. I stayed up to watch NASA TV last night... the "six minutes from hell" were just as exciting as any science fiction movie.

I don't think there's been any word on Beagle - but I get the impression that it was a lot more of a long shot addon than the NASA probes. ESA's Mars Express has been a big success even without the lander.

It´s very sad that the beagle-lander didn´t respone...or he respone into the wrong way...the ground of mars. I heard maybe beagle felt in a crater or so on.
Anyway, The technique on board is very good. Making a hole into martian surface for searching micro-organism was a very good idea.

Well, congratulation to the US-Mission with more success. Mybe they will find kilrathi-spores on it..:D

The lander got back some really impressive photos (or saw I thought from the streaming video I was watching)

Didn't Clinton want to have a manned expedition to mars back when he first became president in the early 90's.

My TV was hijacked so I missed the landing, I was pretty upset. Moments like these makes me wish that NASA was better funded so we could actually get somewhere in our solar system.

Politicians should really pay attention to Sci-Fi, the answer to all our problems is-out there lol.

Yeah, I really want to see self supporting colonies on either the moon or Mars. If Earth is ever wiped out by nuclear war or a meteorite strike (the latter seems more likely nowadays), humanity would still live on... And maybe, if these colonies were completely self-capable, they could send expeditions back to Earth to re-colonize it (what a thought, eh?).

Haven't seen much on the news about it, but the pictures I did see were awesome. Can't wait to take a gander at the color ones.

Hmm... How many successful landings on Mars does this make, now? I can only recall NASA's, and not even all of them, but like... Sojourner, Spirit, and the Vikings (how many of those?)...

Didn't Clinton want to have a manned expedition to mars back when he first became president in the early 90's.

You may be thinking of Bush Sr. - back in 1989, he gave a speech calling for a return to the moonbase and manned Mars programs. No one cared, of course, because people are all huge idiots.

My TV was hijacked so I missed the landing, I was pretty upset. Moments like these makes me wish that NASA was better funded so we could actually get somewhere in our solar system.

Well, you get another chance on the 25th. :) You don't need a TV, though - NASA has a RealMedia feed of NASA TV here. (And that way you won't be interrupted by commercials or 'hard' news like Britney Spears getting married. :))

Hmm... How many successful landings on Mars does this make, now? I can only recall NASA's, and not even all of them, but like... Sojourner, Spirit, and the Vikings (how many of those?)...

Five landings: one Soviet (Mars 3) and four American (Viking 1 & 2, Pathfinder and Spirit).

Back