Help with WCMC equipment please

Okay... I thiknk I've got most of the stuff I need, I think I can handle vehicles more or less. thanks to all that have replied. If anyone finds somethign interesting they think could be useful, please post it here, I'll be checking back here anyway. :) As for the thing with lasers, neutron guns and mass drivers, I've also read something about lasers a few years go. That one was for the air force. They'd basically take a Boeing aircaft with a laser, which could obliterate a target with high precision from several continents away It was unmanned I think. It's a few years so I don't remember everything.

They're not unmanned and they're for blowing up ICBMs.

Hovercraft are unstable. They aren't being combined with anything until we can fix that (and they've been working on it for quite a long time.)

Weapons-
The standard-issue Marine weapon is the M-47 Semi-Automatic Laser Rifle. For shipboard operations, this is generally replaced by the C-47 Assault Rifle (the slug thrower from the movie) or the M-42 Machine Gun. Special-role soldiers use Shoulder-Mounted Neutron Mini-Guns or Mass-Driver Scatter Guns instead of the M-47.

Marines also carry as a secondary weapon the C-244 Pistol.

Marines are issued a C-275 Utility Knife, and combat veterans very frequently carry the extremely efficient Kilrathi Claw Knife.

Uniform-
The Marine uniform is a set of Standard Adjustable Camo, which automatically changes color to blend in with the environment. The camo is worn over a set of chest armor.

For zero-g combat and for situations involving a dangerous atmosphere (ie, the later fighting at Repleetah) Marines wear a set of C-524 Space Armor, a C-532 Life Support Pack and a C-512 Combat Helmet.

Elite Marine units wear a red beret rather than a normal helmet.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Elite Marine units wear a red beret rather than a normal helmet.

That seems like a good way to lose elite troops, or do they still have some sort of helmet to wear in case of vacuum?

Originally posted by Hoops

That seems like a good way to lose elite troops, or do they still have some sort of helmet to wear in case of vacuum?

Confed marines carry out both ship board and surface actions. Elite troops would undoubtedly have a sealed suit (helmet included) for any ship or station actions, and probably switch to the beret when on a planet with a breathable atmosphere.
I would also hazard a guess that elite formations probably see more action on the ground than in space. Your typical boarding action against a ship will probably be carried out by the marine compliment on board the warships participating in the action. Elite formations are probably not reserved to Navy warships, but rather usually assigned and detached as the needs require - which would probably mean that they tend to see a lot more ground action than the typical group of marines.

Hench the Marine Transports, which I guess are modified Draymans or something else. Basicaly transports dedicated to the ferrying of Marines and their supplies from one planet assault to the next.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Hench the Marine Transports, which I guess are modified Draymans or something else. Basicaly transports dedicated to the ferrying of Marines and their supplies from one planet assault to the next.

IIRC Draymans (Draymen?) are the Marine LC's of the WC1 era... a Marine Transport is like a carrier that holds a mess of Drayman.

IIRC Draymans (Draymen?) are the Marine LC's of the WC1 era... a Marine Transport is like a carrier that holds a mess of Drayman.

:eek: That would have to be an extremely large carrier considering the size of a Drayman!
C-ya

Meh -- a Drayman is 96 meters long (so, about three times as large as a fighter)... and a marine transport carries something like ten LCs instead of the 40-100 fighters that a carrier has.

Meh -- a Drayman is 96 meters long (so, about three times as large as a fighter)... and a marine transport carries something like ten LCs instead of the 40-100 fighters that a carrier has.

Ah I guess I was trying to find a way to load draymens and fighters in the same ship (End Run). But that brings up a point i had forgot about, Why were the draymen the transports of the WC1 era when they couldn't transport that much? Were there larger freighters that we just didn't see? I mean granted the Drayemn is larger than a football field, but the fighters it carried replacment parts for were the size of a couple of 1st downs. Anyone?

C-ya

Yup, there are apparently transports which are up to as large as a carrier... ("heavy transports").

And we even see them on the cover of End Run, in modified form ;).

It seems to me though, that since the Draymans were able to operate independently of the heavier Marine transports, they can't be the equivalent of an LC, but more like something in between the two.

By the way, do we know anything about Marine aviation (if there is such a thing)? We see a Marine-flown Dralthi in SM1, but that seems to be about it.

Another thing I find interesting is that the Dorkathi in WC2 were apparently able to carry around a thousand Kilrathi, but were only 95 metres long :p.

Not to drift off topic, but maybe, just maybe we are very close to having a propulsion system that in itself, looks something like out of a sci-fi movie! Now this is some nice equipment! Looks like it would fit nicely in many WC ship engine nacells. :cool:

PEPL Engine

P5-2_500V_10A.jpg

Yeah, the ion engines sure do look pretty, although if I was fighting giant cats/giant bugs/pirates in space I think I'd like something with a little more push.

Going back to the original topic (mmmmmm drifting), there is a prop gun from the film on E-bay.

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1557649668)

I know its a bit steep price wise but it includes a couple of pictures. They might prove useful to whoever ends up designing the visual aspects to the game (meshes, textures etc.).

Hope it's helpful.

Yeah, $1000. Is anyone actually going to buy that? I often get that feeling when I look at the wing commander bids on Ebay when someone tries to sell WC1 on floppy disc for £12.99.

Somebody might -- guns are a very collectable item among prop collectors... and there are a few WC fans who'd be willing to spend that sort of money on a prop, too. :)

well, yes, I understand that a prop like this would be very collectible, but its nothing in comparison to the animatronic kilrahti sold a few months ago. Although the price of the gun is not much in comparison:)

Originally posted by jammyo2k
Yeah, the ion engines sure do look pretty, although if I was fighting giant cats/giant bugs/pirates in space I think I'd like something with a little more push.

Yes, 3 Newtons of thrust is not much! But, it is a start. With the advancement of technology these days, it wont be long before we see many NASA probes using these types of engines and attitude control devices, eventually put on spacecraft or space stations.

For those interested, here is a link to a site covering the 'lifter' devices. These are usefull in making models of ships, and having them hover on a table or something. My Centurion model incorporates lifter devices so it will hover over its display base.

http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/lifter1.htm

plift1sml.jpg

Back