Heatseakers or ImRecs? An analysis of missiles

Originally posted by Starkey

Everyone has a strategy, but I use a different one. I save my missiles to the moment I really need them. If things get hot when I´m dogfighting several fighters using guns only, I´d fire a couple of ImRecs to improve my odds...
About the missiles killing lighter ships in one hit, it does not happen in WC1/3/4, though I´ve busted some Sartha in WC2 with one missile. For instance, WC1 missiles do very little damage.
My favorite missile is the Swarmer, and I really like that FoF cluster in WCP. But I´d fly every mission with my everyday Image Recognition warheads...

Hmm, I seem to recall to have killed a Salthi with one HS in WC1. They do have very little armour. ;)
And I think you can kill Drakhris and obviously Strakhas with one missile too.

Originally posted by Raptor
Besides, an all aspect heat seeker would just be an imrec with a longer lock time, which wouldn't have apealed from a game design point of view.

Best, Raptor

Following that logic the HS is an IR, except it is only rear aspect and has a longer lock time. I fail to see how that would appeal from a game design POV.

Originally posted by Penguin
Somebody mentioned shooting rockets in a head to head pass. Everytime I tried that the other guy shot down my missiles.
That usually happens to me too, although against the Devil Ray, it's so big that some rockets get through the blasts and hit it.

Funny thing about head to head missile launching is that when the enemy fires a missile towards me [through my gun blasts], more often than not, their missile hits. :(

Originally posted by Ijuin
The Heatseeker will lock onto the nearest target within its field of vision if it loses lock.
Shhh, you'll make another bubble...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Hmm, I seem to recall to have killed a Salthi with one HS in WC1... And I think you can kill Drakhris and obviously Strakhas with one missile too.
Not fair. In WC1 I find that enemies afterburn away (missiles are slow in WC1) and in WC2 chaff pods tend to outnumber my missiles. Hence I seldom use missiles in WC1/2.

That screen irritates me no end, especially when the 'friendly fire' wasn't deliberate. But even if it was, I want to 'fight to the death' like in WC2.

Still, did you get that from a HS targetting a friend?

I agree. That 'Traitor's never win' screen stinks, particularly since you have to betray the Confederation in order to win. Or is this a veiled reference to Tolwyn?

The best thing I remember about accidentaly shooting someone, was if you shot Maniac. Since he'd get all mad and decide to "take you out", which (he's flying against ME after all :) ) would result in a very quick demise for the poor man.

I agree. That 'Traitor's never win' screen stinks, particularly since you have to betray the Confederation in order to win. Or is this a veiled reference to Tolwyn?

Probably yes, beacuse if you don´t defect at first time game plot will show you are wrong side. Killing the prisoners is not what goody goodies do. I don´t think defection in that situation is same as betray beacuse Blair is trying to prevent the war.

Following that logic the HS is an IR, except it is only rear aspect and has a longer lock time. I fail to see how that would appeal from a game design POV.

As it is, there are differances between the IR and HS in both lock time and lock aspect, making them very differant weapons to use in gameplay terms. If the HS was an all aspect missile, the differance would be reduced to the lock time, which would make missiles a lot more generic from the player's point of view, and hence the designer's.

If was making a change to the HS, I would boost the warhead, making it more lethal than the IR. That would give the player the option of an easy to use missile that doesn't do as much damage, and a tricky weapon that delivered a killer punch. That would enhance game play a lot more than turning the HS into a poor man's IR, with a longer lock time and a smaller warhead.

Best, Raptor

Most of the times I've pulled "traitor" endings have been annoying, but livable. The one that really got me was on SOP, when pulling a base defense mission against a Nephilim capital ship. I fired either a missile or a torpedo at one of the Nephilim ships, the ship went *boom* before the warhead hit, and the stupid thing kept circling the area the enemy ship had been in until a Confed fighter flew into it and blew up.

grr...

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...)
Funny thing about head to head missile launching is that when the enemy fires a missile towards me [through my gun blasts], more often than not, their missile hits. :(
So sad but true... ;)
Though I found DF missiles to be very useful against a DRay when flying a Shrike. They are fast enough to hit that sucker before he opens fire.

(...)
Not fair. In WC1 I find that enemies afterburn away (missiles are slow in WC1) and in WC2 chaff pods tend to outnumber my missiles. Hence I seldom use missiles in WC1/2.

Also true, WC1 missiles were pretty slow, though so were most of the enemies. And AFAIK, they don't afterburn unless they are severly damaged or badly outnumbered. Thus if you launch a missile into a flight of Salthis coming for you, chances aren't bad that the missile hits and kills a Salthi.
Same works even better against Sarthas in WC2. Though I didn't use missiles against Drakhris because they would almost certainly
fool my missile with their chaff pod and using two missiles against such a lousy foe is a waste. MIssiles (other than Dfs) against Grikaths was a waste too.
Thoug in WCA, I just wanted to find out which ships you could kill
with a single missile, so I build a mission wioth just one enemy and checked it out.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
WC1 missiles were pretty slow, though so were most of the enemies. And AFAIK, they don't afterburn unless they are severly damaged or badly outnumbered.
But, they certainly had a fast enough AB speed to outrun missiles. And I'm sure that's what they did if you launched one at them, although I have to admit I've mostly given up on using missiles in WC1/2.

Back