gotta be WCTV

Yeah, its crazy.. I walk in to a store and buy a game with a big (18) sticker on the front without getting quizzed, then I walk a little way down the road and buy a 15 rated DVD and get asked for ID. Silly, although the video stores have been getting in trouble a lot recently for not asking people their age.

software controls in europe

the age indicator on the box is an action performed by the distributor of the software (at least in germany). It's done freely and no obligation is connected with that. If a game is on the Index of the "Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdente Schriften" than you mustn't advertise or show the product in public but you can sell it, if an I.D. is shown veryfying your age.

I can tell you this BPS is a royal pain in the ass...

Not for doing that job but for how it's done.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
I walk in to a store and buy a game with a big (18) sticker on the front without getting quizzed, then I walk a little way down the road and buy a 15 rated DVD and get asked for ID.
Maybe 15 was the maximum age... what did you buy? <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You can't sell the same products at 10;00 AM on Saturday morning as you can during primetime -- WCA didn't appeal to children, and thus couldn't make money advertising.
This is going on the premise that WCA was *successful* in some demographic (per TC), I'll have to assume teens (?). Anyway, I would think that they would move it to the later time slots or sell it to one of the other networks (Fox ?). Bottom line, if there are enough people that want to watch the show, they'll move it into the appropriate time slot. For example, mornings are for Barney-like shows for little ones and afternoons are for the Batman/Xmen types which attract the older kids getting home from elementary/middle school.

Adults, actually -- but as we already pointed out, its success or failure with any demograph wasn't why it was cancelled... USA's descision to stop showing producing animated shows was (both the kiddie fare like Savage Dragon and the adult stuff like Duckman).

Originally posted by KrisV
Maybe 15 was the maximum age... what did you buy? <G> [/B]

If it was the maximum age, they wouldn't have let me have it. :) I can't remember which DVD I bought now.. Gladiator perhaps.

Adults, actually -- but as we already pointed out, its success or failure with any demograph wasn't why it was cancelled... USA's descision to stop showing producing animated shows was (both the kiddie fare like Savage Dragon and the adult stuff like Duckman).
Well then I'm curious how WCTA was considered a success. I would think that their decision to cancel all cartoons would come from the inability of those shows to draw enough advertisers (no matter what age group). And if it was enough of a success I would think that Fox or some other network would have picked up the show (eg Sliders: Fox -> Scifi chnl). Did the producers look into moving the show to another network?

A success on cable in 1996 was nowhere near enough to draw any interest from the broadcast networks...

Or maybe even the Cartoon Network. Other that the Anime that they show and Dexter's Laboratory, most of the other cartoon suck pretty badly. YOU would think that something like WCA TV, that could become a GOOD "original" series would appeal to them.

The original series' cartoon network produces are very, very, very cheap... WCA with celebrity voices and actual good animation is not. :)

A success on cable in 1996 was nowhere near enough to draw any interest from the broadcast networks...
Okay, how was WCTA defined successful then? Rave reviews from critics :)? Was it simply that its main audience was adults? I am surprised though that TCN didn't pick it up as around that time its cartoons were pretty bad and it could have used even a moderately successful show (I think they were still showing the old Scooby Doo and Yogi cartoons).

Cartoon network didn't have the money to produce their own show in 1996 -- WCA was succesfull ratings-wise, for a cable network.

you also have to take into account there really werent enough episodes made to have it continue more than one season. Too bad they didnt make more.

Video game ratings mean absolutely nothing -- they're optional to the game designers and game stores generally don't take them seriously...

As it happens, Here in British Columbia (Canada) the provincial government is trying to get legislation to force a video game rating system similar to that on movies. A pannel will be set up to review and rate games according to their content (gore, sex, violence, language, etc.) There will even be penalties for those caught renting or selling games to underage individuals! Anyway it will be interesting to see how it shapes up in the next year or so.

-AD.

We have game ratings in the US. I know at most places they won't sell a minor a "mature" game.

I THINK the rating system goes something like this...

EC = Early Childhood
E = Everybody
T = Teen - 13 and older
M = Mature - 17 and older
AO = Adults Only - 18 and older
RP = Rating Pending

Right now here in canada the copy of the games I buy are exactly the same and come from the same place as they do in the united states with the little esrb rating logo in the lower left corner still intact. But a surprising amount of people pay no attention to it. But it looks like that might change here fairly soon!

-AD.

Suprising number of people includes the people running the stores. Often when I've been browsing for games, I've seen kids pull games with 15/16 ratings off the shelves, take them to the counter, and buy them with no questions asked.

Best, Raptor

Read the press kit -- it talks about a lot of the things that'd be developed... Blair's uncle being a senator who opposes the war, Gharal being a traitor... Firekkans... and so forth.

Back