Good old games

I've got to agree with you guys on UAKM and The Pandora Directive, they were great games. I enjoyed Overseer also but not as much as the previous two.

I've been dying to play WC1-3 and the Crusader series as well as Day of the Tentacle, The Dig and Full Throttle for a while now but Dosbox runs to slow on my machine :(
Ah those were the days.....

FlashFire82 said:
::Tears in eyes:: Amen brother, amen. One day the old machines shall rise from the grave... as soon as I can find a Soundblaster Pro.
Suggestion: You might consider trying the Soundblaster 16 PCI Dolby 4.1. I got one new maybe a year ago off of Amazon.com. I was looking for a cheap "legacy" type card to put in my dedicated WC machine, a P166MHZ with Win95. It works great for KS, WCIV, Prophecy, Privateer 2, etc. Of course that is assuming you don't need an ISA card.

Eh, I read the first couple posts and skipped over the rest.

Jagged Alliance
Castles II
The Sherlock Holmes games
Chaos Continuum
Wolfenstein 3d
Pirates! Gold
Lemmings 3d
Worms
the WC games that were out back then
Warcraft (I'm talking about the demo version that was free)
Jill of the Jungle
Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom
Crime City
Jet Fighter 2

Back in those days, my best friend and I decided to make a privateer-esque website called "Diis Daily Online". It was supposed to be a website detailing the goings on of a space station called Diis. What it ended up being was a launch pad for Pravateer fiction that eventually tried to steer away from being WC. Those were the days.

Well heres some good news for some of those that love the oldies but their disks are lost, sold, or dead. you can find some (including the PC version of WC 1) here: http://127.0.0.1 you can also find many of the Leisure Suit Larry games and many others.

[Posting to warez sites is prohibited. Please re-read the forum rules, particularly Rule #11. - Death]

Ah yes I remember getting yelled at by parents to stop playing games on the computer even before they'd had time to boot up. Games like Loom, Monkey Island, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Wolfenstein. Just thinking of Windows 3.1 and that stupid 49'ers background that my cousin made in paint brings back nostalgic memories....I don't think we once changed that horrible background pic. :p

BigsWickDagger said:
Suggestion: You might consider trying the Soundblaster 16 PCI Dolby 4.1. I got one new maybe a year ago off of Amazon.com. I was looking for a cheap "legacy" type card to put in my dedicated WC machine, a P166MHZ with Win95. It works great for KS, WCIV, Prophecy, Privateer 2, etc. Of course that is assuming you don't need an ISA card.

It was actually more of a rhetorical statement, but thanks for the advice. DOSBox has worked pretty well for me, but like I've said in another place, sometimes it just doesn't capture the same feel. At the moment I'm away from home (thousands ands thousands of miles away), and will be so until August (except for a one month vacation starting next week, WOOHOO!).

Sooner or later I'll put together the old junker system that my WC disks have been dreaming about for all of these years. Ironic... back then I said "If only I had a better computer..." Now I say... "If only I had a piece of @#$%."

FlashFire82 said:
It was actually more of a rhetorical statement, but thanks for the advice. DOSBox has worked pretty well for me, but like I've said in another place, sometimes it just doesn't capture the same feel.
Hey, no worries. I've gotten so much help in these forums that when I think I see a chance to pass along something that has worked for me well, I jump at it. I've got to admit that I've stayed away from the whole DOSBox route because I've read about all of the headaches that other's have encountered while trying to get everything to work. Also, I've been fortunate enough to find several older machines in good working order for a paltry sum. If people have them they almost want to give them away.

Indoril Nerevar said:
....Games like Loom, Monkey Island, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Wolfenstein.....
Wow.....SWOTL. I hadn't thought about that one in a while. After reading your post I ran upstairs to check to see that I still had it. I do and it looks like I bought it yesterday. Have any of you tried that game on a newer machine, possibly like the one I described above? I might have to give that a shot this afternoon.....

Sorry, I meant to say I wanted to play them again. And you're absoultely right ZFGokuSSJ1 - Crusader rocks!

The one that got me started, and introduced me to a really cool game company,

STARFLIGHT, by Electronic Arts.

It really tweaked my imagination.

Indoril Nerevar said:
Ah yes I remember getting yelled at by parents to stop playing games on the computer even before they'd had time to boot up. Games like Loom, Monkey Island, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Wolfenstein. Just thinking of Windows 3.1 and that stupid 49'ers background that my cousin made in paint brings back nostalgic memories....I don't think we once changed that horrible background pic. :p

Huh. Even I remember that background. I wished I was able to finish Monkey Island with you. Didn't we play that whole game without the sound? Like so many games we played on mine without sound.

I never played Loom as much as I wanted to. I just really miss games where you just walked around in a flowchart of still backgrounds and interacted with what you could. There was this Indiana Jones game I played and it had all those options such as: pick up, talk to, look, use with, and so on.

There was this other game maybe someone could help me remember the title. You were some cop and you'd go around arcade style with a gun and missiles and collect money and cocaine. The missiles made people totally blow up and the cutscenes in the game were done with real pics but it was one really cheesy like. That game was fantastic. I remember also that it didn't have a save game option and the main boss was some bald guy with big eyebrows and in the end you had to fight him while he was inside the dome robot thing. Does that ring a bell?

Digger and Battlezone were the first PC games I played way back on an IBM XT. Other highlights for me include: Maniac Mansion, Rockford and Star Control 2 amongst many others.

An open source port of Star Control 2, called The Ur-Quan Masters is available here. Another gem that rivals SC2 in the humour and fun-factor stakes is The Horde by Crystal Dynamics & Toys For Bob.

Cheers,

BrynS

Back